• Show
Clear All

• Sayler leaving USD.

Well, that didn't take long...

http://www.yankton.net/articles/2012...d144325748.txt
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: Sayler leaving USD.

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
    Isn't this the guy who took the job without even stepping onto campus first? This will most likely put a huge hault on the athletic facilities they're trying to build.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

That's a surprise. The story isn't really complete as far as his accomplishments go (I'm sure Jeremy Hoeck, who does an excellent job, will have a very complete report before long). That initial story only mentions the Learfield deal and a new logo. Sayler also hired a good football coach and has shepherded some significant facilities plans through the BOR. I don't think those projects will suffer from his departure since they have the financial plan in place and the Regents are pretty far down the road on those plans. That's a pretty good three years.

Let's hope everybody can keep their mitts off of Justin Sell and Leon Costello who are compiling a long, long list of accomplishments here.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
        Isn't this the guy who took the job without even stepping onto campus first? This will most likely put a huge hault on the athletic facilities they're trying to build.
        I don't think this will put a hault on the basketball facility at all, my understanding is its already in place and will break ground next spring/summer. I think what it does hurt is other little things that could become bigger things, as far as guarantee games, solid home scheduling, DakotaDome renovations, more the little things then the big things. Does a new AD want to put more or less pressure on the coaches? Before Ed got fired who was the last bball/football coach to get fired at USD or SDSU? Its been a while.

Sayler was a good hire for the time, but in looking at their program from both close in some situations and far in others I think they need to find someone who would only leave for a really good job, not for a somewhat good job like Sayler, and the guy they had before him (name escaping me).

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          I don't think this will put a hault on the basketball facility at all, my understanding is its already in place and will break ground next spring/summer. I think what it does hurt is other little things that could become bigger things, as far as guarantee games, solid home scheduling, DakotaDome renovations, more the little things then the big things. Does a new AD want to put more or less pressure on the coaches? Before Ed got fired who was the last bball/football coach to get fired at USD or SDSU? Its been a while. Sayler was a good hire for the time, but in looking at their program from both close in some situations and far in others I think they need to find someone who would only leave for a really good job, not for a somewhat good job like Sayler, and the guy they had before him (name escaping me).
          Joel Nielson

Comment

I believe Sayler is leaving USD better than he found it. So the next guy has things to build on and will take USD to a higher level.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I believe Sayler is leaving USD better than he found it. So the next guy has things to build on and will take USD to a higher level.
              I agree Sayler is leaving USD better than when he got there. I think they are in good hands with David Herbster. I think he would stick around USD for a while as AD. I hope he gets it. Either way he will keep the USD moving forward and in the right direction as the interim AD. David is a great and intelligent guy.
              We...ARE...STATE!
              SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if David Herbster becomes the permanent AD. This will be his second go-round as acting AD, and he's had previous experience as the AD at Omaha. And seeing as USD probably wants someone who will be there for the long-haul, I have a feeling Herbster will have the interim tag taken off at the end of the year.
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I called this one, several months ago. I didn't know when or where, but I predicted that Sayler was using USD as a stepping stone.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                    ... stepping stone.
                    Such is life in the ranks of the mid-majors. The advantage: in order to move up, one has to perform well where they are. Seems to me Sayler did a decent job at USD and that's how he makes the move. It's always nice to hang on to those kinds of guys but sometimes it's hard to beat the pull of home and family.

Comment

Small budget, small town, myopic culture. Tough to hang on to talent brought in from outside.
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

I think he left it in a better place then when he came in, but at the same time its hard to argue that taking a school out of transition no matter who the AD is going to put you in a bright light. I thought he did well on fundraising, has almost everything in place for their new basketball facility. I thought scheduling has been an issue, but I understand that being an issue coming out of transition.

At the same time without knowing the inter parts of the job its hard to say what type of a job he actually did.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                          I agree Sayler is leaving USD better than when he got there. I think they are in good hands with David Herbster. I think he would stick around USD for a while as AD. I hope he gets it. Either way he will keep the USD moving forward and in the right direction as the interim AD. David is a great and intelligent guy.
                          I was going to say the same thing. Herbster would probably be the best choice imo. Stick around awhile been there a bit so knows what's going on and probably has a few of his own idesa to move forward on.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I would not put my money on Herbster, but rather someone with more D1 experience. I dont think Abbott's afraid of hiring new blood, if they can equal Sayler or exceed in vision. I would be surprise if there were no at least 100 applicants. I look for another outsider with vision.

Comment

Herbster really wants the job but I'm not sure he is going to get it. On the other hand, how do you entice someone in a similar position to leave for Vermillion? Why hire an associate AD from a DI program when you have Herbster already on staff? The position will be offered, applicants will be reviewed and Herbster will be one of the most likely to fill the position.

I recall discussion about this very thing earlier this year on this forum. I think joeboo is the one that called him a short timer. I think this was more of an opportunity in timing then anything else. Sayler is jumping from a sinking ship instead he is taking advantage of an opportunity that he could not pass up.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X