Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rumor Redux: Oakland to Horizon

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    Pure speculation and unlikely at this point, but if the MVC were going to add 2 Dakota schools, what are the chances both are from South Dakota? USD is building a new facility and would make a perfect travel partner to SDSU...

Both USD and SDSU lie outside the MVC footprint, but Fargo is waaaay outside it.
    Yes but I think you have to look at facilities and programs. Fargo has an Airport, that's huge. I also don't think anyone lies outside of anyone's footprint anymore with realignment(see Boise State).
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Pure speculation and unlikely at this point, but if the MVC were going to add 2 Dakota schools, what are the chances both are from South Dakota? USD is building a new facility and would make a perfect travel partner to SDSU...

Both USD and SDSU lie outside the MVC footprint, but Fargo is waaaay outside it.
      You never know, but I doubt it.

The Bison are also building a new basketball facility and they are much closer to getting it done than USD.

Throw in the fact that NDSU significantly outdraws USD in their substandard basketball facility, has larger growth potential due to immediate population, has had some success at the DI level (it wasn't all that long ago they made the tournament), has shown a far greater commitment to their athletic programs, and has a baseball program (probably the 2nd highest priority sport in the Valley), I just don't see USD getting any serious consideration over the Bison.

New Bison Arena Concept Art Below:
      Attached Files
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

It certainly is interesting to think about.

In 5-10 years, I think USD will have a pretty dramatically different profile than it does today, including a a 6,000 seat basketball arena. Their basketball attendance could realistically be greater than SDSU post Nate Wolters (they averaged close to 3000 per game back in 2008).

If the MVC needs 1 team, its NDSU hands down.

If it needs 2 teams, a pretty strong argument could be made for USD/SDSU over NDSU/SDSU.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

If the MVC needs 1 team, its NDSU hands down.
          Oh, please. SDSU is a better fit in the Valley than NDSU. If nothing else, it is hardly a 'hands down' decision in favor of NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            Oh, please. SDSU is a better fit in the Valley than NDSU. If nothing else, it is hardly a 'hands down' decision in favor of NDSU.
            Yea. We are closer, better in Men's & Women's Basketball, and better at Baseball all things that are important to the Valley. I would guess they would take us both. I remember all the talk about how the MVFC only wanted us, but took NDSU because we told them we were a package deal.

Comment

Also, the indoor track facility would be, AFAIK, the best facility in the Valley.

Comment

The Valley is a basketball conference. State needs to win a game or two in the NCAA tourney and that would go a long ways in helping them get in the conference.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  The Valley is a basketball conference. State needs to win a game or two in the NCAA tourney and that would go a long ways in helping them get in the conference.
                  Under this scenario, SDSU is invited in because the Valley is in need of new membership because of defections to other conferences (some combination of SIU, UNI, Illinois State to the MAC--beacuse the MAC won't let in their FB programs w/o an all-sport commitment). In that case, necessity may preclude a certain finickiness regarding tournament wins.

Comment

Both SDSU and NDSU would both be a great fit for the Valley. Our schools would improve that conference just like we have with the Summit League. It's really hard to say who has the edge on an invite. No doubt if either one was invited they would jump at the chance.

My money is on the Bison having their eye on BCS Conferences down the road. That nay tip things a bit in our favor.

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X