Sanford to USD: $20M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanford to USD: $20M

The Argus Leader reported this morning Sanford Health has committed $20 million to a new basketball arena at USD (estimated cost for the arena: $50 million).

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...news|text|Home

Re: Sanford to USD: $20M

Isn't that the cost of the arena plus the cost of the upgrades to the Dakota Dome?

Comment

I'm not sure about this, but I believe the $50 million covers a basketball arena, plus lots of infrastructure (offices, physical therapy areas, etc...think of it being somewhat akin to our HPER center building) and the upgrades to the Dome. Assume we will see a breakdown somewhere along the road.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        The Argus Leader reported this morning Sanford Health has committed $20 million to a new basketball arena at USD (estimated cost for the arena: $50 million).

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...news|text|Home
        I see they are in the same mode as SDSU in contacting alums since they still have 30 million to put together. Seems like this project was also on the BOR agenda for 10/14/12

Comment

I am not sure what the $50 mil covers. The article mentions that drawings will be released at the same time as the official Sanford announcement and it also mentions that an additional $20 mil will be the cost of dome renovations and the outdoor track and soccer complex. The last I heard was that the arena will be connected to the south side of the Dome. I do know that various options for renovating the dome have been considered. The base renovations will be (relatively) inexpensive. The high dollar portion would be an addition to the north end of the dome to provide endzone seating. I could see the other renovations being done near term and the endzone seating being several years down the road.
          USD Fan

Comment

Arena.jpgPicture from a poster of original plan for arena addition.

Drawing from KDLT website of inside of arena USD Arena.jpg
            USD Fan

Comment

I wonder if the arena will be sunken in-ground like they have at U of Mary. That was a pretty neat set-up.
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                I wonder if the arena will be sunken in-ground like they have at U of Mary. That was a pretty neat set-up.
                My understanding is that it will be sunken in ground. The floor level of the arena will be at the same depth as the floor level of the dome.
                USD Fan

Comment

USD has really improved many of the buildings on campus. It's about time the Athletic department gets one of those jewels. Better late than never.
                  How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Mankato's basetball arena is similar in design -- I haven't attended a game there but I've been in the arena and it's beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      Mankato's basetball arena is similar in design -- I haven't attended a game there but I've been in the arena and it's beautiful.
                      Played there in high school. Great place to play with the crowd right on top of you.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                        I have been told it will be sunken and that a sheet of ice could fit perfectly under the basketball floor. It will be a great addition to the athletic facilities/dome.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

A bit of humor to the USD story... am working at the P&D tonight putting pages together and one of the sports guys comes over and says.. "Make sure you use the second photo that USD sent out of the rendering."

We asked why....

the answer....

"In the original rendering they sent out of the interior of the facility if you look at the score board the score says SDSU 82 USD 64 or something like that."

I am trying to find a copy of the original to post...lol

Comment

So I am a little confused how much money did USD get for their $50 million dollar arena project?

Mick Gerry writes -

Sanford’s donation would cover about 40 percent of the estimated $50 million price tag for a 6,000-seat arena and connecting building

but Mick quotes David Sayler USD's Ad who says -

“The gift from Sanford is not just for the arena and it will not just benefit the athletic department,” Sayler said.

If some of the gift is "to support student scholarships and university faculty" as it states in USD's press release then it can not be used for the arena and the many many other projects that have been mentioned in the last two days so they are not providing 40% of the cost.

Are any of the dollars in the gift earmarked for the Sanford Medical School? If so were they already promised and announced? Just curious.

Here is the laundry list of things that USD says they are going to use the money for:
                            1. Basketball Arena
                            2. A “connecting” building – a facility attaching the arena to the DakotaDome that would house offices, a weightroom, locker rooms and physical therapy venues
                            3. Outdoor track & field complex
                            4. Outdoor soccer complex
                            5. Football practice facilities
                            6. Basketball practice facilites
                            7. DakotaDome renovations
                            8. Student Scholarships
                            9. Faculty support
                            10. Class rooms

Seems to me that USD must be counting that $20 million over and over again if they think they can get all this done or they are downplaying the amount of dollars they still need to raise from their alumni. They claim they have $9 million - oh and some of that money is also been earmarked according to the Argus we just don't know how much and to what - in the bank from alumni and friends. So they have $29 million to do all these things. If the arena and connecting building are $50 million how much do the other 8 projects cost? I would like to know the breakdown of the Sanford gift because you can't give their arena/connecting building $20 million, and still have dollars to give to the other 8 projects that have been listed in the last two days.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                              A bit of humor to the USD story... am working at the P&D tonight putting pages together and one of the sports guys comes over and says.. "Make sure you use the second photo that USD sent out of the rendering."

We asked why....

the answer....

"In the original rendering they sent out of the interior of the facility if you look at the score board the score says SDSU 82 USD 64 or something like that."

I am trying to find a copy of the original to post...lol
                              You can find a blog written by Michael Klinski of the Argus leader that shows this.

Comment

Working...
                              X