• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nimrod Hilliard IV leaves USD

Per Mick's Tweet

http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=mickgarry

Re: Nimrod Hilliard IV leaves USD

Addition by subtraction. Nimrod was terrible....Boots's son even played more than he did.

On paper, USD has a nice class coming in (plus a transfer PG that had to sit out last year I believe). I think they'll be better without Westbrook and Krogman. Now maybe Gruis will touch the ball more than 2 times a game.
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

That's the last person that I had heard about leaving. Discussion was on this page: http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...ecruits/page61
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Rather then talking about USD student athletes on an SDSU recruiting thread here is the pertinent quote from that thread.

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
        Allen Saint-Gelais, 6-7 junior, was one of the USD basketball players who quit. That's been published. He's going to try football instead. The 6-10 guy, Nick Mabbutt, is transferring to a D-II school.
        Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
          Rather then talking about USD student athletes on an SDSU recruiting thread here is the pertinent quote from that thread.

Go State!
          Yep, he is the only one that played productive minutes.

I also agree with jacks1 that USD might be better off if Gruis is getting more touches.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

You guys may be right they might be better. However, it is hard for me to imagine that USD losing 61% of their scoreing from last year's team wont affect them in a negative way. We will see.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/233/south-dakota-coyotes

Go State!

Comment

Retention is difficult at all levels, especially during transition. SDSU should be well ahead of USD at this point. Boots will have to piece together a line-up and even with talent its hard to play as a team when the pieces keep changing, just ask Nagy and some of the guys that stuck it out through SDSU's transition.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                Retention is difficult at all levels, especially during transition. SDSU should be well ahead of USD at this point. Boots will have to piece together a line-up and even with talent its hard to play as a team when the pieces keep changing, just ask Nagy and some of the guys that stuck it out through SDSU's transition.
                Been there, seen that, wouldn't wish that hell on anyone, not even the 'yotes.
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                  Addition by subtraction. Nimrod was terrible....Boots's son even played more than he did.

On paper, USD has a nice class coming in (plus a transfer PG that had to sit out last year I believe). I think they'll be better without Westbrook and Krogman. Now maybe Gruis will touch the ball more than 2 times a game.
                  Frankly I thought the little I saw of him that he was their best ball handler and decent enough passer. Maybe I needed to watch him more but felt the offense moved better with him, I felt it was the worst when Louie brough the ball up. He stunk at a PG imo.

I think it will be hard for USD to replace LK and CW for scoring but Gruis I felt was probably their best option who didnt get the ball nearly enough. If a few other guys improve and the new guys are worth a hill of beans, they will be OK. probably just a head of UNO.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post

I think I would take Nimrod over Boots. Boots only has better numbers because he played more. He played in 10 more games and played 6 minutes more a game. Even with all those extra minutes, some of their numbers were almost the same. Boots had 2 more steals, 3 more assists and 2 less TO's. You can say that Nimrod would have a lot more TO's if he played more but he would have more steals and assists, too. They both shot about the same. Boots shot .007 % better from the floor, Nimrod shot .014 % better from 3-point land and they both shot exactly the same from the FT line.
                    Boots is the coaches kid and he has been with the team for 4 years compared to 1 year for Nimrod so I think if Nimrod had 3 more years, he'd be the better player. Either way, neither is a make or break player.

I hope they have a great class coming in. They lost 6 of 13 players. They players they have coming back scored 11.3, 5.6, 5.0, 3.3, .2, .0 and .0 points/game. That's not much fire power.

Comment

I think Nimrod is a talented player that will thrive in the right system at the right level with the right expectations. I feel the same way about Zach M., he showed flashes of great talent but wasn't going to get the time necessary to really develop it.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        Yep, he is the only one that played productive minutes.

I also agree with jacks1 that USD might be better off if Gruis is getting more touches.
                        If there aren't any other legitimate scoring options,it's pretty easy to contain a post player,unless he has Kevin Love type range.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          I think Nimrod is a talented player that will thrive in the right system at the right level with the right expectations. I feel the same way about Zach M., he showed flashes of great talent but wasn't going to get the time necessary to really develop it.
                          To bad Zach M wasnt 5 years older. He would have earned good playing time at SDSU 5 years ago. Seemed like a player who coaches really liked. Hope it goes well for him, glad he went where he did.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The Coyotes might have some good recruits coming in. I don't know much about their quality. USD will need some awfully good recruits though because its losses are heavy and it had a losing team to begin with. Westbrook and Krogman (seniors) were their best players. Andreotti (senior) was solid. Saint-Gelais (quit) was lanky and athletic, and Hilliard (quit) seemed to have potential. Mabbutt (quit) is big, but his departure isn't considered much of a loss. Still, that's a lot of holes to fill.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

I don't believe for a second that we will be a factor at all next year. Too many people leaving, and not enough key people returning. I see us at the bottom next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X