Who's panicking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's panicking?

....Ok maybe I am a little bit.....Butler leaving for A10...pretty much a done deal....

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...-s-credibility
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Re: Who's panicking?

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
    ....Ok maybe I am a little bit.....Butler leaving for A10...pretty much a done deal....

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...-s-credibility
    I'll go with "Who is Rob Demovsky, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette," Alex.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
      ....Ok maybe I am a little bit.....Butler leaving for A10...pretty much a done deal....http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...-s-credibility
      The one bargaining chip State has is that they're in the MVC for football. I'm hoping this helps (eventually) push State into the Missouri Valley.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
        The one bargaining chip State has is that they're in the MVC for football. I'm hoping this helps (eventually) push State into the Missouri Valley.
        But the MVC is not looking at adding any teams. Plus it would be best for SDSU to make the Summit stronger. SDSU is towards the bottom of the Summit in terms of financing the basketball teams, put them in the MVC and it won't even be close. I think too many people look at the Valley and think it would be great to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          But the MVC is not looking at adding any teams. Plus it would be best for SDSU to make the Summit stronger. SDSU is towards the bottom of the Summit in terms of financing the basketball teams, put them in the MVC and it won't even be close. I think too many people look at the Valley and think it would be great to get in.
          You must have missed the bracketed word 'eventually'
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

You must have missed the bracketed word 'eventually'
            I get that, but this is about now. I don't see the MVC looking for a team(s) for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              I get that, but this is about now. I don't see the MVC looking for a team(s) for a while.
              Did you see Nebraska going to the Big 10? Did you see Missou and Texas A&M going to the Southeast Conf? Did you see Utah and Colorado going to the Pac 10? Should i go on?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                Did you see Nebraska going to the Big 10? Did you see Missou and Texas A&M going to the Southeast Conf? Did you see Utah and Colorado going to the Pac 10? Should i go on?
                The common denominator in all those moves? Football.

Comment

This Butler to the A-10 is starting all kinds of talk. Jeff Kolpack and Dom Izzo both have mentioned on their twitter accounts rumors about Evansville (currently in Missouri Valley) looking at the Horizon. Not that these rumors are necessary true, but we have seen rumors materialize rapidly in the current college landscape.

Who knows? The MVC could have an opening sooner than we think.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                    This Butler to the A-10 is starting all kinds of talk. Jeff Kolpack and Dom Izzo both have mentioned on their twitter accounts rumors about Evansville (currently in Missouri Valley) looking at the Horizon. Not that these rumors are necessary true, but we have seen rumors materialize rapidly in the current college landscape.

Who knows? The MVC could have an opening sooner than we think.
                    There's been a little discussion of this on our site too (http://www.SummitZoo.com) and I was wondering if there was any trickle down to the school boards. If the Valley had a spot you'd have to think some Summit schools would be considered to fill it.
                    http://www.SummitZoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                      There's been a little discussion of this on our site too (http://www.SummitZoo.com) and I was wondering if there was any trickle down to the school boards. If the Valley had a spot you'd have to think some Summit schools would be considered to fill it.
                      Who goes though? Could NDSU just drop SDSU and head to the MVC? I know they could but it would be hard for them to go without SDSU (just because we've been going the entire time). Would the SDBOR let SDSU go without USD? I would freak the f-out if they held SDSU back. Lots of questions will hopefully be answered over the next few years.

Side note: I've said this multiple times over the past few years. The Missouri Valley is a basketball school (we all know this) and SDSU/NDSU all need to get their teams up to par before they even think about joining the conference. Once the new stadium gets built, SDSU needs to start dumping as much money into basketball as possible. It runs college athletics at the mid-major level.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
                        I think funding would scare them away. I don't have the budgets in front of me. but even NDSU which is probably towards the top in basketball funding is probably low. SDSU was 67 out of 68 in funding.

SDSU is towards the bottom in the Summit League, but the difference is not that large, put them in the MVC and it would be very large. My guess is that the MVC will go after Saint Louis, if they don't get St. Louis, they hold off for a while and look at someone who will fit them in all aspects (footprint, money, media, etc). They got 2 teams into the tourney this year, stay the same and that is more money to go around.

Comment

Who goes though? Could NDSU just drop SDSU and head to the MVC? I know they could but it would be hard for them to go without SDSU (just because we've been going the entire time).
                          Highly doubtful one xDSU goes without the other one. Geography dictates that both schools would need to be added to make a trip to the Dakotas viable (especially in Olympic sports).

Would the SDBOR let SDSU go without USD? I would freak the f-out if they held SDSU back. Lots of questions will hopefully be answered over the next few years.
                          The SDBOR has done some silly things in regards to facility financing, but I don't believe they would try and block the move. They didn't block the move to DI, which was a heck of a lot more of an investment than a move to another conference (especially one with the regional appeal of the MVC).
                          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                            Highly doubtful one xDSU goes without the other one. Geography dictates that both schools would need to be added to make a trip to the Dakotas viable (especially in Olympic sports).

The SDBOR has done some silly things in regards to facility financing, but I don't believe they would try and block the move. They didn't block the move to DI, which was a heck of a lot more of an investment than a move to another conference (especially one with the regional appeal of the MVC).
                            I don't think it would block them for USD, I think they'd consider it for $. How much more $ would it cost the school to go to the MVC. and I know athletic $ is separate and everything but I still think it could scare them.

As far as NDSU/SDSU as a combo, I really don't know. I don't think one would really care about the other right now, but I question whether a conference would want to bring 1 in without the other. But I really don't know.

here are some salaries

Gregg McDermitt- Creighton- right around $1 million
                            Gregg MArshall- Wichita St.- $900K
                            Chris Lowery- former Southern Illinois coach ($750K)- if Bruce Weber is hired probably expect around $1Million
                            Gregg Lansing- Indiana St- right around $200K with bonuses but is expecting a raise
                            Geno Ford- Bradley- rumored to be around $600K
                            Tim JAnkovich- Illinois St.- $200K (2009)

Those are the ones I found, I'm sure a couple are lower, I think Northern Iowa is in the $250K range. but that is just coaching salaries, I'm sure assistants, travel, doctors, recruiting budgets and everything else is higher as well.
                            Last edited by joeboo22; 03-20-2012, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Who goes though? Could NDSU just drop SDSU and head to the MVC? I know they could but it would be hard for them to go without SDSU (just because we've been going the entire time). Would the SDBOR let SDSU go without USD? I would freak the f-out if they held SDSU back. Lots of questions will hopefully be answered over the next few years.

Side note: I've said this multiple times over the past few years. The Missouri Valley is a basketball school (we all know this) and SDSU/NDSU all need to get their teams up to par before they even think about joining the conference. Once the new stadium gets built, SDSU needs to start dumping as much money into basketball as possible. It runs college athletics at the mid-major level.
                              NDSU would leave SDSU in a flash and SDSU would probably do the same. Both would prefer to move together if it ever happened but it isn't going to prevent either from doing what is right for their schools.

I don't get why everyone is so afraid of moving to the MVC? Since moving to D1 and moving to the SUmmit League SDSU and NDSU have definitely improved the league in a big way. Only ORU has as good of a complete program of sports. The XDSU's are the premier teams in this conference right now. Fact!

Who's to say we couldn't do the same in the MVC? Sure, it's another step up but why couldn't we do it? A few years ago many were doubting the move to D1. You sure don't hear that any more. Whatever is best for the school is what needs to be done. I do very much agree with you that the funding for basketball is the major hurdle. We're not even close now. Without the ability to change that it would be tough. If we can fund it though, I think we could compete in that conference.

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X