Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 Summit attendance figures...

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    I'm going on record saying this year's attendance record will stand until the new events center is built.

Even if USD/UNO are in opposite sessions, the SDSU sessions will shrink due to more of the reserved seating being bought by fans who aren't as likely to show up for an SDSU game (especially womens).

This year, 6/8 sessions were basically capacity crowds. Adding USD will add to their sessions, but it could take fans away from the other 6 if USD loses in the first round.

The good news under this scenario is there will likely be a less partisan crowd in the Arena, and less of the "home court" complaint from other conference members.
    I think you might be right about attendance but I don't know for sure. If USD had the teams they had this year, I'd say that you could be wrong. Their women's team probably would have played ours in the championship and that would have brought in more than 5,153. If they would have played on Sunday, that would have jacked that day up, too. Some people would have showed up to watch Louie and Co., too.
    Saturday and Tuesday would probably lose some fans. There were 24,226 fans on those 2 days. That means there were only 16,043 on Sunday and Monday. They could use USD to play on Sunday and Monday afternoon to get those numbers up. I don't know how many fans were there on Monday night but I'm sure it was well about the 4,000 average that were on those 2 days. If you took Monday night out, they probably only averaged 3,400 fans on those other 3 sessions. If USD was the number 3 seed and beat SDSU would some more of the SDSU fans took off Monday afternoon to watch them both play? That way you get to watch both SDSU and USD. Would that be a better excuse to take vacation than just one game? How about since SDSU was already there just adding 1,000 USD fans.
    That leaves Sunday. The numbers would be up for that day with USD in there. I don't know if it would just be the USD fans or if some SDSU fans would show up because of USD but it would go up.

All of this won't matter next year. USD's women lose Hegge, Roache, and Boss and their men lose Krogman, Westbrook and Andretti. They will still be there and bring some people but neither team will be as good as they were this year(my opinion).

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
      I think you might be right about attendance but I don't know for sure. If USD had the teams they had this year, I'd say that you could be wrong. Their women's team probably would have played ours in the championship and that would have brought in more than 5,153. If they would have played on Sunday, that would have jacked that day up, too. Some people would have showed up to watch Louie and Co., too.
      Saturday and Tuesday would probably lose some fans. There were 24,226 fans on those 2 days. That means there were only 16,043 on Sunday and Monday. They could use USD to play on Sunday and Monday afternoon to get those numbers up. I don't know how many fans were there on Monday night but I'm sure it was well about the 4,000 average that were on those 2 days. If you took Monday night out, they probably only averaged 3,400 fans on those other 3 sessions. If USD was the number 3 seed and beat SDSU would some more of the SDSU fans took off Monday afternoon to watch them both play? That way you get to watch both SDSU and USD. Would that be a better excuse to take vacation than just one game? How about since SDSU was already there just adding 1,000 USD fans.
      That leaves Sunday. The numbers would be up for that day with USD in there. I don't know if it would just be the USD fans or if some SDSU fans would show up because of USD but it would go up.

All of this won't matter next year. USD's women lose Hegge, Roache, and Boss and their men lose Krogman, Westbrook and Andretti. They will still be there and bring some people but neither team will be as good as they were this year(my opinion).
      I think I understand what you are saying.

A higher turnout is definitely possible, but I don't think it is very likely. ALL the stars would have to allign to make it happen in the current facility.

Assuming USD, SDSU, UNO, and NDSU are all respectable, make both sides of the tournament, and some advance past the first round, the 40K number should be obliterated the first year in the new EC. God bless us all if all four were to advance on both men's and women's to the point of an SDSU/USD final. The best tournament attendance prior to Sioux Falls would nearly be broken in the championship round alone.

IMO, the only way the tournament leaves Sioux Falls is if the eastern schools want to cut off their nose to spite their face. Once the new facility is in place the SDSU home court advantage will be much less dominating (although it will still be present).
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I would have to think next year if SDSU makes the finals again and even if they play USD in any rounds, I would have to think USD fans might have a few that show up for all tourney sessions that maybe have the last few years. That could be maybe a few hundred a day on the low side so even if USD loses, there will probably still be more fans for the other sessions.

SDSU men were pretty much sold out but if the SDSU USD women play that would for sure IMO be a sell out which would be 1000 more then SDSU women had in any round this year. I would think the biggest factor is if SDSU makes the finals again, numbers should be so close that anything usd brings will put it over the 40k this year.

Once the new event center is build I still think it comes down to how good the 2 SD teams do. I dont really expect NDSU to travel like they can unless their men are the 1st seed again. I was really disapointed to see so few NDSU fans. Also UNO fans I didnt think were big travelers before so I doubt unless they field a team that will challenge to win it say a top 3 seed, I doubt they will be a strong presense. I wouldnt be surprised to see 50k in the new EC with in a few years of it opening. It will only leave SF if say a big business push from other towns throw out some huge cash to make up for the attdendance drop off. Like if they throw a bid of 750,000 the confrecnce obvious will take a look regardless of what attendance would be.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          I would have to think next year if SDSU makes the finals again and even if they play USD in any rounds, I would have to think USD fans might have a few that show up for all tourney sessions that maybe have the last few years. That could be maybe a few hundred a day on the low side so even if USD loses, there will probably still be more fans for the other sessions.

SDSU men were pretty much sold out but if the SDSU USD women play that would for sure IMO be a sell out which would be 1000 more then SDSU women had in any round this year. I would think the biggest factor is if SDSU makes the finals again, numbers should be so close that anything usd brings will put it over the 40k this year.

Once the new event center is build I still think it comes down to how good the 2 SD teams do. I dont really expect NDSU to travel like they can unless their men are the 1st seed again. I was really disapointed to see so few NDSU fans. Also UNO fans I didnt think were big travelers before so I doubt unless they field a team that will challenge to win it say a top 3 seed, I doubt they will be a strong presense. I wouldnt be surprised to see 50k in the new EC with in a few years of it opening. It will only leave SF if say a big business push from other towns throw out some huge cash to make up for the attdendance drop off. Like if they throw a bid of 750,000 the confrecnce obvious will take a look regardless of what attendance would be.
          NDSU has been 5 or lower for the last 3 years. If they were a top 4 they would travel better, maybe not like 09, but definitely better.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

NDSU has been 5 or lower for the last 3 years. If they were a top 4 they would travel better, maybe not like 09, but definitely better.
            Darn near a 3 seed this year with a pretty good team who just had a rough end of the year. I thought it was a poor turn out for NDSU. For a school that claims their fans travel great, they sure havent for the womens team or mens team since they won it. Which is fine because if that means if that one we dont speak of doesnt come here I will not care one bit if they dont travel.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Their women have also been bottom half the last couple of seasons after being decent the year's prior along with the men. If NDSU hadn't lost so many games to end the season they likely would have had a better turnout for the tourney.

Comment

Here's why Tom Douple is smiling

Men's session attendance, MVC:
                Session 1 7,872
                Session 2 14,412
                Session 3 11,348
                Session 4 16,271
                Session 5 12,380
                Session Avg. 12,456

Women's session attendance, MVC:
                Session 1 1,152
                Session 2 1,595
                Session 3 1,577
                Session 4 n/a
                Session 5 n/a
                Session Avg. 1,441

Average attendance, all sessions, men and women:

Assume 1600 for the two final sessions on the women's side (the games are this afternoon and tomorrow):

Average attendance:

Average attendance, 8 Summit League sessions:

And that's without USD and in a decrepit facility.

Comment

Horizon League Men's attendance:

UIC - UWM
                  UWGB - YSU
                  WSU - Butler
                  Loyola - Detroit
                  YSU - Detroit, Butler - UWM
                  Butler - Valpo, Detroit - CSU
                  Detroit - Valpo
                  Average
                  Women's attendance is so pathetic I'm not going to break it down on a game by game basis. Suffice to say the average, excluding today's championship, was 968 per game.

Or, in short, about 2,064 per session/game/whatever.

Or, even more bluntly, the 15 Horizon League games played so far have drawn 10,000 fewer fans than the 14 SL games played last weekend.

Comment

Working...
                  X