2012 Summit attendance figures...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Summit attendance figures...

anyone run across an article with the attendance figures for the tourney? i've done some searching but haven't had any luck. thanks.

Re: 2012 Summit attendance figures...

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
    anyone run across an article with the attendance figures for the tourney? i've done some searching but haven't had any luck. thanks.
    Touch over 40,000, better than 6000 more than the previous attendence record.

Comment

The 40,269 fans at this year's men's and women's basketball championships is a new all-time high for The Summit League, topping the previous record (34,681 in 2009) by nearly 6,000.

From thesummitleague.org notes.

Comment

What was the previous high prior to Sioux Falls?

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
          According to the program it was 28,597 in 1994 in Rosemount,Ill. Sioux Falls now has the top 4 all time attendance totals.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
            Did a little digging and TV had reported in the Argus on March 2nd the following attendance numbers

Recent attendance

A look at Summit League Tournament attendance figures for the past five years, and host city:
            2011: 32,460 in Sioux Falls
            2010: ­30,791 in Sioux Falls
            2009: ­34,681 in Sioux Falls
            2008: ­17,954 in Tulsa, Okla.
            2007: ­22,291 in Tulsa, Okla.

It is hard to argue with the success that Sioux Falls and SDSU has brought to the Summit League Tournament. Some kudos has to go to NDSU for helping with the previous record in 2009. That was the year that Ben Woodside led the Bison to the championship. SDSU women also won their first championship, and the men upset ORU in the first round leading to two "home" games for the men.

Comment

If USD has decent teams, and SDSU & USD both are productive, even this 40K+ attendence will be exceeded. With poor attendence Sun. (no SDSU team playing) this year had a soft day. If the two S. Dakota schools are playing and NDSU has decent teams this will really blossom in S. Falls.

I know the non-I-29 schools don't like that Sioux Falls puts them at a competitive disadvantage, but they are loving the atmosphere, attention, and crowds that are generated. They are just envious of the situation, and wish they'd see that back home.

Comment

Adding UNO isn't going to hurt things either. We will soon be able to change to the I-29 League (UMKC, UNO, USD, SDSU, NDSU). If UND had done their homework - or, I don't know....thought it through - we could add Grand Forks to that list. (In thinking of nicknames - I wonder if raving lunatics is already taken?)

Comment

You forgot UMKC on I29 also.
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
                    I wonder if raving lunatics is already taken?)
                    thats offensive to lunatics..........maybe?

As long as both SDSU teams make the finals again, I will for not assume they will, and USD even if they get beat out the first round, that will be thousands more. So as long as we make the finals again next year I would guess 45000 for total attendance would be close, if not more....
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      thats offensive to lunatics..........maybe?

As long as both SDSU teams make the finals again, I will for not assume they will, and USD even if they get beat out the first round, that will be thousands more. So as long as we make the finals again next year I would guess 45000 for total attendance would be close, if not more....
                      The key to setting new attendance will be getting the Jacks and USD into different sessions - if they end up in the same sessions in the opening round,there will not be much potential for bigger crowds since our sessions are already sold out

Comment

The numbers will really balloon with the new Events Center and a competative NDSU squad
                        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                          The numbers will really balloon with the new Events Center and a competative NDSU squad
                          Don't forget UNO is tourney eligible in 2016 as well. I doubt they bring as many fans as USD/NDSU but they should still bring more than some of the other league members.

Comment

I'm going on record saying this year's attendance record will stand until the new events center is built.

Even if USD/UNO are in opposite sessions, the SDSU sessions will shrink due to more of the reserved seating being bought by fans who aren't as likely to show up for an SDSU game (especially womens).

This year, 6/8 sessions were basically capacity crowds. Adding USD will add to their sessions, but it could take fans away from the other 6 if USD loses in the first round.

The good news under this scenario is there will likely be a less partisan crowd in the Arena, and less of the "home court" complaint from other conference members.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                              Don't forget UNO is tourney eligible in 2016 as well. I doubt they bring as many fans as USD/NDSU but they should still bring more than some of the other league members.
                              I doubt that UNO will bring as many fans as USD but I don't know about NDSU. It looked like they only had about 80 fans their for their WBB game. They probably had about 200+ there for their MBB game but not much more than that. They brought a ton of fans the year of Woodside but they have cooled of a lot since then.

Comment

Working...
                              X