ORU -- at-large?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ORU -- at-large?

Here are two of the four “bubble” teams that are, at least of as today, are supposed to get at-large bids:

Drexel (27-6, 16-2 CAA, RPI: 69, SOS: 251, non-conf. SOS: 212)

Xavier (19-11, 10-6 A-10, RPI: 57, SOS: 47, non-conf. SOS: 72)

Oral Robert is 27-5, 18-1 Summit, RPI 38, and a SOS of 188. So can someone tell me why Drexel is a bubble team and Oral Roberts isn’t even in the discussion?

Re: ORU -- at-large?

Originally posted by Crashola View Post
    Here are two of the four “bubble” teams that are, at least of as today, are supposed to get at-large bids:

Drexel (27-6, 16-2 CAA, RPI: 69, SOS: 251, non-conf. SOS: 212)

Xavier (19-11, 10-6 A-10, RPI: 57, SOS: 47, non-conf. SOS: 72)

Oral Robert is 27-5, 18-1 Summit, RPI 38, and a SOS of 188. So can someone tell me why Drexel is a bubble team and Oral Roberts isn’t even in the discussion?
    Because they're on the East Coast, and because they're in the Colonial. Actual team-to-team capabilities and abilities have absolutely nothing to do with it.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Toss in Iona, and Middle TN St into that mix also.

What's sad, is that the decision-makers may take 2 or 3 PAC-12, which have no better RPI's than ORU's. And 12 (of 19) from the B-East? GROWL!!!!

Comment

I think my ORU RPI info may be dated. RealtimeRPI.com had them at 38 at 9:30 PT yesterday -- but that may be 9:30 a.m. But they're still ahead of both teams in RPI even after last night's loss.

Comment

ESPN was just talking about Drexel and Oral Roberts being an at large bid but they then went on to say that a team like Northwestern has a better shot because they are from a power 6 conference

Comment

ORU's RPI is 49 and SDSU is at 50.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/live-rpi.html

To get an at large ORU basically needs a ton of help, they just don't have a lot of marquee wins. Honestly it isn't even worth talking about at this point because so much needs to happen. Really the only team they could have afforded to lose to in SF was SDSU.

Comment

It will be a rather large surprise if ORU shows up in the bracket. They probably should, but they probably won't.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I wish I could agree with you, but I just can't. ORU should show up on the bracket? What have they done to warrant a trip? They didn't even make the championship game of the tourney. Who have they beat? They are in a sub-par conference. I don't think the Summit deserves a second team until somebody wins a game in the Dance. Harsh? Yes. I WISH more than one team could make it in, but I do not believe it is deserved.

Comment

Gottlieb said tonight that he thought they had a chance, along with Drexel. For what that is worth. He also said he thought SDSU with Wolters could compete with schools from the "big conferences".
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Gottlieb played at Oklahoma State, not sure if he played for Eddie but at the very least I'm guessing he knows the Sutton family. I do agree with him though, the PAC-12 is a joke, no more then 2 should get in, and I think many would argue that only 1 deserves to get in. Tennessee has an RPI in the 70's but everyone has them in because they are ranked high in the SEC, which I'd argue that once you get past Kentucky the rest is average. The Big East is good, but (and I like Notre Dame) but when they are a 3 seed after their best player got hurt, you wonder how great the conference actually is.

The ACC is solid, but I don't think more then 4 maybe 5 deserve a bid.

I'd argue that the Big 10/11 with 12 teams is the most over-rated conference in America. OSU was the only one of their teams that did anything in OOC.

The Big 12 has 4 teams who I think deserve a bid, maybe 5. but not TEXAS, which will probably get a bid.

I think the big thing that hurt Oral Roberts, was Xavier falling apart, they rolled them when they were a top 15 team (even though they didn't have their best players) but if they were legit top 20 team I don't think it would be a big deal, them falling apart just hurt it

Comment

Crashola - thanks for the facts. I wish for the Summit, we were at the point of getting 2 bids -but for the sake of ORU, I won't be heartbroken to see them host an NIT game. (sort of our going away present to them).

On a side note - WIU isn't going to be a lot of fun in the future. (if Molinari stays put - they have some horses in the shed. Props to them tonight!)

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
                        Crashola - thanks for the facts. I wish for the Summit, we were at the point of getting 2 bids -but for the sake of ORU, I won't be heartbroken to see them host an NIT game. (sort of our going away present to them).

On a side note - WIU isn't going to be a lot of fun in the future. (if Molinari stays put - they have some horses in the shed. Props to them tonight!)
                        Your right with wiu. They are probably going to be the scaryist team in the summit. I think sdsu has a great chance to repeat but ndsu and probably oakland will be tough still.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Also I don't like oru so I'd they get a nit game that imo is all they deserve. I don't csre if it hurts the summit for a few years losing them but I feel in 5 years the summit will be a mid major getting 2 bids and constantly stay around top 15 confrence rpi ranking.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            Your right with wiu. They are probably going to be the scaryist team in the summit. I think sdsu has a great chance to repeat but ndsu and probably oakland will be tough still.
                            wouldn't be surprised if Southern Illinois talked to both Nagy and Malinari.... ESPN mentioned that Saul Phillips could be in the mix, but I don't know if I understand that

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              wouldn't be surprised if Southern Illinois talked to both Nagy and Malinari.... ESPN mentioned that Saul Phillips could be in the mix, but I don't know if I understand that
                              I would be surprised if nagy would be interested. I could see it could make sense but his roots are in sd now and kids in school nice town to live in and he has the program so it apears playing at the level he wants and has shown can grow as a coach. Unless we see a bunch of 6 win seasons again I think its nagys job till he is ready to move on maybe after kids are done or retire.

Molinari I could see moving to bigger programs. I always got a feeling the wiu job was I will take what I can get and prove I can work up to better gigs. Nothing to abck that up. Just imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X