No announcement yet.

UNO to get new basketball home in time for 1st season in the Summit Leageu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNO to get new basketball home in time for 1st season in the Summit Leageu

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
    I don't believe this is an accurate statement. Warren Buffet is an owner of the Omaha Royals, and from what I understand was the main reason they moved to build the new ball park in Omaha, with Warren himself paying around 2/3 of the costs of the stadium.

With that being said I know the athletic departments at UNO, Creighton, & UNL would like to see some donations, but Warren doesn't have any affiliation with any of them, so why would he feel obligated to help them out?
    I moved away from Columbus Ne in 2003 and have not gotten much news or paid much attention to what has happened since, and looks like I stand to be corrected on a number of things. Thanks for pointing this out. Warren came to mind when I read in this thread that the seating was about the same as Sapp Fieldhouse, and with a big donor a larger seating might have happened, but building the facility larger would mean the fans come. UNO seems to be on a busy street with many people driving by on there way to work or somewhere other than an athletic event at UNO.

Yes David Sokal is no doubt the one I am thinking of. Sapp made their money on truck stops along I-80 and Sokal is part of a family that made their fortune off of a patent for some kind of steering wheel known for trucks. I guess since both names start with the letter "S", I got them confused. Seems like the Sokal's pulled a donation from UNO because they did not get their name on the field house. That too is foggy in my mind but might have lead to my misstatement and confusion. Need to check into some dementia clinic or something

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
      Warren is a UN-L grad.
      The point I was trying to make was that he doesn't appear to have much of an affiliation with any of their athletic departments.

Dale Larson in Brookings has not been a high-profile supporter of SDSU athletics, but I can't imagine anyone would ever categorize him as being 'not a sports fan' or a generous donator. He has his own priorities, and I find that commendable.

Comment

The point I was trying to make was that he doesn't appear to have much of an affiliation with any of their athletic departments.

Dale Larson in Brookings has not been a high-profile supporter of SDSU athletics, but I can't imagine anyone would ever categorize him as being 'not a sports fan' or a generous donator. He has his own priorities, and I find that commendable.
        Alright, but I think as an alumnus of UN-L he does have an "affiliation" with the UN-L athletics department. It is his alma maters' sports program. The people at UN-L athletics may not have developed/exploited that affiliation and I am willing to say that UN-L athletics may not be one of his priorities, but he does have an an affiliation with UN-L athletics and that was my point.

Comment

I don't believe this is an accurate statement. Warren Buffet is an owner of the Omaha Royals, and from what I understand was the main reason they moved to build the new ball park in Omaha, with Warren himself paying around 2/3 of the costs of the stadium.

With that being said I know the athletic departments at UNO, Creighton, & UNL would like to see some donations, but Warren doesn't have any affiliation with any of them, so why would he feel obligated to help them out?

He might have but the Omaha Royals (now known as the Storm Chasers) are moving to a different new ball park in the burbs. Buffet taught investment courses at UNO b school for 12 years or so.
          Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

UNO is going to focus more attention on Mens basketball now that football and wrestling are gone

Comment

UNO is proposing a new 7500 seat arena..........http://www.omaha.com/article/2012101...10159998/1001#

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                UNO is proposing a new 7500 seat arena..........http://www.omaha.com/article/2012101...10159998/1001#
                Would be a vital step into making them a strong member of the Summit League (if it is still surviving by then

Comment

Putting ice under a basketball floor is not a good idea,unless the humidity is practically nothing,because any humidity in the air will condensate on the basketball surface if it is cooled down sufficiently to the dew point temperature.This water on a basketball floor could cause slipping and maybe injuries to occur.Anyway, i think i've read where it can happen,although in the winter when most basketball games are played, the heated air inside of a building housing the floor should be pretty dry, also, maybe they now use a vapor barrier and insulation to keep this from becomming a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    Putting ice under a basketball floor is not a good idea,unless the humidity is practically nothing,because any humidity in the air will condensate on the basketball surface if it is cooled down sufficiently to the dew point temperature.This water on a basketball floor could cause slipping and maybe injuries to occur.Anyway, i think i've read where it can happen,although in the winter when most basketball games are played, the heated air inside of a building housing the floor should be pretty dry, also, maybe they now use a vapor barrier and insulation to keep this from becomming a problem.
                    I think this is a problem of the past, for the most part. There are enough places with ice under hardwood that they have figured it out how to insulate properly. The SF arena has ice under the court, and I can't remember them having a lot of problems, even for sell out crowds.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                    X