• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNO to get new basketball home in time for 1st season in the Summit Leageu

http://www.omavs.com/sports/2011/10/12/MBB_1012111431.aspx?path=mbball

a
    nd

http://www.ralstonarena.com/

Re: UNO to get new basketball home in time for 1st season in the Summit Leageu

Must say, not impressed. Temporary home for UNO basketball?
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think the Arena holds 3500 but that is for hockey. They plan on having 4000 for basketball with the behind the basket seating on risers. It looks OK and much better than their other options. The Civic is much too large (9k). The Sapp is around 3.5k for basketball but not exciting. The main problem with Sapp is parking. You can't find a spot to park near Sapp arena even if 500 people go to the game. I believe Ralston arena is about 5 miles from campus. It also has luxury suites and other amentities to help sell UNO basketball. I believe beer sales are going to be allowed. Beer sales has helped Creighton basketball and Maverick hockey. I think they plan on 5 years with a couple 3 year options.
      Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
        I think the Arena holds 3500 but that is for hockey. They plan on having 4000 for basketball with the behind the basket seating on risers. It looks OK and much better than their other options. The Civic is much too large (9k). The Sapp is around 3.5k for basketball but not exciting. The main problem with Sapp is parking. You can't find a spot to park near Sapp arena even if 500 people go to the game. I believe Ralston arena is about 5 miles from campus. It also has luxury suites and other amentities to help sell UNO basketball. I believe beer sales are going to be allowed. Beer sales has helped Creighton basketball and Maverick hockey. I think they plan on 5 years with a couple 3 year options.
        Thanks for the info. I think it looks great.If they are gonna play in a smaller arena,it might as well be a nice one.

Comment

Until UNO can generate some interest in games, IMHO, 4K is plenty large for their needs. I would envision UMKC, IUPUI sized crowds until UNO starts demonstrating consistent upper half of Summit team. Given their track record in D2, that winning record will require a REAL change for that to happen in Omaha.

Comment

When are the moderators going to let the mavbots back in? Those guys made me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
              When are the moderators going to let the mavbots back in? Those guys made me laugh.
              It was one guy with lots ot log in names.

Comment

I think it is a good start for them but if they want to be successful they will have to have an on campus or really close to campus arena. On campus is always better IMHO, but especially with basketball, where the weather may not be great, where you can practice in your arena, you can get the students that live on campus to the game and so on. But as far as a facility I like it, it looks cool, its not too big, just seems right in that sense.

Comment

Don't know that having games on campus is that important at a school with about only 1000 students or 1/16th of the student body living on campus.
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                    Don't know that having games on campus is that important at a school with about only 1000 students or 1/16th of the student body living on campus.
                    Yeah but I think it helps, also shows off campus to the alum, and is easier when it comes to recruiting, you show them campus then you walk down to the arena and show them that. Omaha is different, and much larger then any college town in South Dakota so I do understand the argument. I just don't think you can beat an on campus venue, especially in basketball.

Comment

Meh. Not a fan of combined hockey/basketball arenas. Hockey rinks are 200' x 85' vs. 94' x 50' for basketball. Pushes the crowd farther away from the court. The "end zone" seats generally suck. And 4,000? Seems a little small.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Since night classes are the bread and butter of UNO academically, I know from experience and understand the parking problem. This Sapp guy apparently is not too crazy about coming forward with a large donation. I believe he is the one who refurbished the UNO Field House and thats why his name is on it. IIRC he was fired by Warren Buffett, and maybe he no longer has funds to donate. Warren has never been a big sports fan locally nor generously donated. If I were Trev Albert, I would talk to Warren before they put this dump up.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Warren has never been a big sports fan locally nor generously donated. If I were Trev Albert, I would talk to Warren before they put this dump up.
                          I don't believe this is an accurate statement. Warren Buffet is an owner of the Omaha Royals, and from what I understand was the main reason they moved to build the new ball park in Omaha, with Warren himself paying around 2/3 of the costs of the stadium.

With that being said I know the athletic departments at UNO, Creighton, & UNL would like to see some donations, but Warren doesn't have any affiliation with any of them, so why would he feel obligated to help them out?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Since night classes are the bread and butter of UNO academically, I know from experience and understand the parking problem. This Sapp guy apparently is not too crazy about coming forward with a large donation. I believe he is the one who refurbished the UNO Field House and thats why his name is on it. IIRC he was fired by Warren Buffett, and maybe he no longer has funds to donate. Warren has never been a big sports fan locally nor generously donated. If I were Trev Albert, I would talk to Warren before they put this dump up.
                            I think you are talking about David Sokal (a UNO Grad) who was second in command at Berkshire-Hathaway until he got caught doing insider trading. He donated the scoreboard at UNO's football field. I also don't believe that UNO is building this arena, I think they are only a tenet.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
                              I don't believe this is an accurate statement. Warren Buffet is an owner of the Omaha Royals, and from what I understand was the main reason they moved to build the new ball park in Omaha, with Warren himself paying around 2/3 of the costs of the stadium.

With that being said I know the athletic departments at UNO, Creighton, & UNL would like to see some donations, but Warren doesn't have any affiliation with any of them, so why would he feel obligated to help them out?
                              Warren is a UN-L grad.

Comment

Working...
                              X