• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ORU talking with Southland

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/artic...0_OralRo588207

Re: ORU talking with Southland

From the article:
    "Others speculate that the Golden Eagles have grown uncomfortable with the increasing power accumulated by newer Summit members North Dakota State and South Dakota State.

The tournament will be played in Sioux Falls, S.D., for a fourth straight year in 2012, and the league voted in June to extend its stay through 2014. UNO is expected to lodge a strong bid for hosting the tournament after that.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20110929_298_ 0_OralRo588207"

I think this has more to do with it then they will admit to.

They are the "I'm taking my ball and going home" type.

Comment

Dont let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Comment

Have tulsa step up and make a better offer. Or deal with it. I am not surprised they would complain about it.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

na na na nah

na na na nah

hey, hey, hey

Good bye....

Don't let the door hit ya, where the good Lord split ya!

Comment

Do you think the Summit has a replacement in mind? Who would that be?

http://www.summitzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=307
            http://www.SummitZoo.com

Comment

I don't know if it is wise to want to usher Oral Roberts out the door without concern for their reason for wanting to leave. They are a long term conference member that brought a semblance of stability to the league. If ORU leaves I don't see how this can be considered good for the conference. If ORU leaves what is going to stop Oakland, IUPUI, IPFW etc from wanting to leave as well. What does that say for USD's decision to want to come into the Summit and UNO for that matter. A D1 NCC otherwise call the Summit League is becoming more and more reality every day.

An honest thought, what is the Summit going to do if they lose their eastern members? It's something that is hopefully being talked about behind close doors and hopefully the urgency is being stepped up a notch with this news of ORU.
              How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

I agree, it is foolish to wish ORU to leave. If the basketball tournament needs to rotate to other sites to keep everyone happy then that is exactly what should happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                  I don't know if it is wise to want to usher Oral Roberts out the door without concern for their reason for wanting to leave. They are a long term conference member that brought a semblance of stability to the league. If ORU leaves I don't see how this can be considered good for the conference. If ORU leaves what is going to stop Oakland, IUPUI, IPFW etc from wanting to leave as well. What does that say for USD's decision to want to come into the Summit and UNO for that matter. A D1 NCC otherwise call the Summit League is becoming more and more reality every day.

An honest thought, what is the Summit going to do if they lose their eastern members? It's something that is hopefully being talked about behind close doors and hopefully the urgency is being stepped up a notch with this news of ORU.
                  You make good Points. I don't think we really want to lose a quality opponent from the conference. But as even the article point's out (which makes me think it is not little secret) ORU liked being the big guy of the conference the bully if you will. That luster has been taken away. (kinda the if you don't play by my rules I'm not going to play with you mentality)

Personally I would like to get rid of that whiner Jerry Finkbinder... I wouldn't miss him at all.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                    I agree, it is foolish to wish ORU to leave. If the basketball tournament needs to rotate to other sites to keep everyone happy then that is exactly what should happen.
                    But in the same token, if that is how they are going to be...

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                      But in the same token, if that is how they are going to be...
                      I'm willing to appease them to some extent...honestly I don't think one city should have the tournament for more than four years anyway.

Comment

I guess, but they no longer fit in the geographical footprint. I'm just being honest. I would rather they didn't leave.
                        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                          I'm willing to appease them to some extent...honestly I don't think one city should have the tournament for more than four years anyway.
                          Like anything in the NCAA, it all comes down to money my friend. ALL schools in the SL have received a larger benefit due to the current location including ORU.

Not to mention playing in front of a decent crowd...

And I agree with the geographical argument to some extent, to the extent that the only other southern school was Centenary.

Comment

The Summit league doesn't have football so it is completely a basketball league. ORU is good for basketball, so it's good for the conference. It would be bad if they left. Hopefully they can find a way to stay.
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Here's a link to the Southland Conference member schools' locations.

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle...&ATCLID=945979

With money tight in this economy, this seems more suitable for ORU to go this direction. A lot less distance so should reduce costs a bit. You have to remember, ORU was under a scandal with the former president who thought the school was his own personal piggy bank.

Of course, the less rational side of me thinks that ORU was the big kid on the block for many years, it's getting competition from the Dakotas, and now wants to pack up its toys and go home.

It could be a little of column "A" and a little of column "B". Maybe the Big Sky will withdraw its invite to UND and we can snatch them up. It would really solidify the footprint for an eastern and western division. We could even call the western division the North Central Conference and the eastern division something else.

Anyway, I'm talking out of my butt and I need more cold medicine.
                              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                              X