• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNO- University of Nebraska Omaha is in

http://www.greenwichtime.com/sports/...PN-1357059.php

Comment

I see the former UNO wrestling coach has a new opportunity. I heard about this at dinner last evening. It will be interesting to see how much of the UNO program ends up at Maryville.

http://www.maryville.edu/news9223.htm
      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
        I see the former UNO wrestling coach has a new opportunity. I heard about this at dinner last evening. It will be interesting to see how much of the UNO program ends up at Maryville.

http://www.maryville.edu/news9223.htm
        Looks to be a GREAT situation for Denney, many of the Mav wrestlers, and a great chance for Maryville to jump quickly to the top of D-II wrestling.

Comment

Here is a very good article from ESPN Outside the Lines. UNO is less than willing to allow ESPN or any other media outlet access to their financial analysis to drop football and wrestling.

I do feel sorry for those football and wrestling players that dedicated themselves to the university and then have the university dump their programs like they did.

Here is the link to the story.

This paragraph really does sum up most analysts opinion on D-1 sports and D-II sports as well

"I think that programs should be held to a standard to where they maximize the amount of revenue they can generate, but they shouldn't be expected to generate more than it costs because … it's not realistic," he said. "And that's because, mostly because, that's not what college athletics are about. They're about competing. They're about education. They're about opportunities. And if you start basing success on revenues, on trying to make a profit, well, then you're not going to find many successful programs anywhere."
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Another article on the money end of things for UNO:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110508/NEWS01/705089907

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
              Here is a very good article from ESPN
              Errrm.....

It's not that good.

Problems include:

economist Andy Schwarz
              Andy Schwarz is not an economist.
              http://www.linkedin.com/in/andyschwarz

While he may have taken classes in economics, none of his degrees are in economics

But Schwarz said he doesn't put a lot of faith in those numbers, either, because they don't count the revenue that nonscholarship athletes contribute to the program
              The university counts the cost of athletic scholarships as an expense against the football department, but it doesn't count the tuition that student-athletes pay as revenue. If it did, Schwarz said the football program could count at least an additional $700,000 in revenue, and for wrestling it would be at least $200,000.
              It would be utterly irresponsible to direct 100% of tuition paid by a non-scholarship football player to the athletic department. That's why no university does this. That tuition goes to offset classroom costs, staff, labs, etc.

Also at issue is whether UNO had to drop football and wrestling to stay in compliance with federal Title IX gender equity rules if it moved to Division I and added men's soccer and golf. In the figures UNO provided to the consultants, it states the football program had 143 players, and that men made up 64 percent of all athletes.
              This is a thoroughly incomplete bit of reporting. Not to mention the '143 players' is most likely football + wrestling (Ed department stats put combined wrestling & fb participation at 144)

In order to for UNO to become fully Title IX compliant, they would need to add ONE HUNDRED female athletes.

Here's the math, you can do it yourself:
              http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

UG Enrollment: 9,026
              4,308 men
              4,718 women

48% male enrollment

402 total atheltes
              241 male athletes
              161 female athletes

241 is 48% of 502.

To get to 48% male athlete participation (to reflect 48% enrollment) you're looking at adding 100 female athletes.

(SDSU's numbers are--I believe--51% male enrollment, 52% participation, or something similar, a remarkable achievement for a school with both wrestling AND baseball)

In short, this story was presented to support a pre-ordained conclusion--that UNO was under no economic pressure to end football & wrestling.

Comment

Boy, can we thank again the administration that was in place when we made the move to D-I. Thanks to Peggy Miller and Fred Oien we didn't have this kind of mess on our hands when we made the move.

Wow, this is a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                  Boy, can we thank again the administration that was in place when we made the move to D-I. Thanks to Peggy Miller and Fred Oien we didn't have this kind of mess on our hands when we made the move.

Wow, this is a mess.
                  Amen, its being proactive, not reactive.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                    Errrm.....

It's not that good.

Problems include:

Andy Schwarz is not an economist.
                    http://www.linkedin.com/in/andyschwarz

While he may have taken classes in economics, none of his degrees are in economics

It would be utterly irresponsible to direct 100% of tuition paid by a non-scholarship football player to the athletic department. That's why no university does this. That tuition goes to offset classroom costs, staff, labs, etc.

This is a thoroughly incomplete bit of reporting. Not to mention the '143 players' is most likely football + wrestling (Ed department stats put combined wrestling & fb participation at 144)

In order to for UNO to become fully Title IX compliant, they would need to add ONE HUNDRED female athletes.

Here's the math, you can do it yourself:
                    http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

UG Enrollment: 9,026
                    4,308 men
                    4,718 women

48% male enrollment

402 total atheltes
                    241 male athletes
                    161 female athletes

241 is 48% of 502.

To get to 48% male athlete participation (to reflect 48% enrollment) you're looking at adding 100 female athletes.

(SDSU's numbers are--I believe--51% male enrollment, 52% participation, or something similar, a remarkable achievement for a school with both wrestling AND baseball)

In short, this story was presented to support a pre-ordained conclusion--that UNO was under no economic pressure to end football & wrestling.
                    What he said. Think ESPN has an ax to grind with Trev?

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                      What he said. Think ESPN has an ax to grind with Trev?
                      I dunno. I think it's more a question of sensationalism than ax grinding.

You read that Omaha World Herald article, and it's pretty clear that Alberts has a handle on dollars and cents, and finding money to pay for stuff.

Sheesh. I can't believe a guy with a PhD is yammering about how schools should credit 100% of the tuition paid by athletes to the athletic department..... Wow. That's unbelievable...... I mean really. Maybe we should count 100% of the money spent on scholarships as revenue for the athletic department, because that scholarship money is going toward tuition which should be credited to the athletic department, which means that the scholarships are FREE!!!!!

Sweet!!!! Funding scholarships will never cost a dime again, since we're paying for them with the money we're getting in tuition!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X