Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: March Madness!! Summit League Style

Originally posted by slosho View Post
    I'll be going mustache only for the entire month "Mustache March" and encourage others to do the same... so if you see a bushy squirrel tail on someones lip at the tourney and it's not that reporter with the epic 'stach then smile and say hi! I'd love to make your acquaintance.
    I did that for the Twins Playoff game when Pavano pitched. A friend of my dads advised me either to shave it or stay 200 feet away from the school.

Comment

Bracket (PDF version)

http://www.thesummitleague.org//pdf8/742896.pdf
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm told the proper hashtag on twitter will be #SummitattheFalls if anybody want's to follow.

Comment

The Alumni Association with the Sioux Empire Staters Chapter will once again host pre-game Rallies at Boonies (formerly Nutty's North). See you there.

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/inde...=13&calcid=685

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
            I'll be going mustache only for the entire month "Mustache March" and encourage others to do the same... so if you see a bushy squirrel tail on someones lip at the tourney and it's not that reporter with the epic 'stach then smile and say hi! I'd love to make your acquaintance.
            Also known as "Prefontaine Month"...I love it!

I'm impressed you can get a bushy squirrel on your upper lip in a week. Thumbs up to sticking it out the whole month. I know a lot of Prefontaine participants that would tip their hat to you.

Comment

So if you can't cheer for the Jacks, who do you want to see win the tournament?

The big, bad Grizzlies who can't be beat and probably would represent the league well at the Dance with a chance for a win? (I thought this last year too and they got their a$$es handed to them by Pitt)

Oral Roberts? I have no idea why. I hate these guys.

IUPUI and their style a lot like the Jacks? We're gonna shoot and shoot some more and hope to hell they go in.

I'll put NDSU on here because I don't want the Bison to be left out. They have a nasty draw, IMO. They get a hot ORU team followed by a IUPUI team who has played well against them this year.

All others, sorry, I don't think you don't have a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post

The big, bad Grizzlies who can't be beat and probably would represent the league well at the Dance with a chance for a win? (I thought this last year too and they got their a$$es handed to them by Pitt)

IUPUI and their style a lot like the Jacks? We're gonna shoot and shoot some more and hope to hell they go in.

I'll put NDSU on here because I don't want the Bison to be left out. They have a nasty draw, IMO. They get a hot ORU team followed by a IUPUI team who has played well against them this year.

I would go with the Grizz,for the reason you stated, they would represent the league the best.

That said, if the Bison would make it all the way to the championship game,i would pull for them instead.

Comment

Considering I'm planning on showing up in Blue and White body paint Saturday night, you probably can guess who I won't be pulling for. My disdain for Lakes and Co. is just to much I guess.

I would say I'd have to pull for Oakland, because they give the Summit the best chance at a "w" in the tourney and they would get the highest seed. I have a feeling anyone else from the Summit would get stuck in one of the play-in games. I'm guessing there is more than just one this year now that there are 68 teams in the field?

BTW...does anyone know the new 1st round/play-in format for this year now that the tournament has been expanded to 68 teams??

I think I found my answer:
                  http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaah...ith+first+four

So what I think I'm seeing I wouldn't call "good" for the Summit at first glance. Instead of 1 play-in game it looks like there will be two? I'm assuming between Mid-major teams and probably Low Mid-major teams??
                  I suppose I could look at it the other way, that it would give more Mid-Major teams a chance to get in, but I have a feeling I'd be kidding myself.

Go Jacks!!
                  SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                    Considering I'm planning on showing up in Blue and White body paint Saturday night, you probably can guess who I won't be pulling for. My disdain for Lakes and Co. is just to much I guess.

Go Jacks!!
                    Propar80 bringing sexy back to the Arena! Love it! May be a couple of tasty malt beverages in it for you if you pull it off!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Even if SDSU wins the SL on the men's side, we really should be safe from playing a play-in game.

Why?

Our current Sagarin is #132. Oakland's is #60, IUPUI's is #130.

Top 2 teams in America East are Vermont at #102 and Boston U at #168.
                      Top 2 teams in the Big South are Coastal Carolina at #89 and UNC Asheville at #171.
                      Top 2 teams in the Big West are Long Beach State at #99 and Pacific at #137.
                      Top 2 teams in the Mid-American are Kent State at #112 and Buffalo at #123.
                      Top 2 teams in the MEAC are Hampton State at #189 and Morgan State at #241.
                      Top 2 teams in the Northeast are Long Island at #100 and Robert Morris at #150.
                      Top 2 teams in the Patriot League are Bucknell at #93 and American at #139.
                      Top 2 teams in the Southland are Stephen F. Austin at #185 and McNeese State at #194.
                      Top 2 teams in the SWAC are Texas Southern at #239 and Jackson State at #270.
                      Top 2 teams in the Sun Belt are Florida Atlantic at #138 and North Texas at #184.

The reason for this long litany is--to point out it's a long litany. But there's ten conferences right there where the Summit League's #3 team--SDSU, is rated by Sagarin better than that conference's #2 team at least.

The Summit has become a fairly respectable men's basketball conference, people. (Note Oakland's #60 vs the Sagarin rating of all of the other #1 teams in the above conferences.) If SDSU wins the Summit League as the 3rd place team, that means, if all of the other conferences' tournaments go according to Sagarin's rankings, that we should still be ranked above four other conference champions.

That, all by itself, should put SDSU at #64 in the seeding list--just barely safe from being thrown into the First Four games.**

Throw in a few more upsets in conference tournaments--especially in any of those six conferences where the #1 is rated above SDSU and the #2 is rated below, but really any upsets where a team below SDSU in the RPI manages to get hot and win their tournament, and SDSU could move further up in the world.

** Subject, of course, to the mysterious bordering on psychotic machinations of the NCAA Men's Basketball Selection Committee, of course.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

And, frankly, if they do put SDSU in a play-in game against another 16-seed, it's all good. That would be an eminently winnable game, and would count as an NCAA tournament win for purposes of earning a share for the conference, I believe . . .
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

** Subject, of course, to the mysterious bordering on psychotic machinations of the NCAA Men's Basketball Selection Committee, of course.
                          http://www.bbstate.com/schools/SDST/sheet

This is a replica of the sheet that the NCAA Committee looks at if a team is going to be in the tourney or on the bubble. Pretty cool stuff, as far as I'm concerned. This could be useful next week from Wednesday to Saturday if SDSU makes it happen on Tuesday and goes to the Big Dance, allowing me to compare teams to see where SDSU would be seeded. Or I'll leave that to Filbert.

*This has quickly turned into one of my favorite websites and part of it requires a subscription, but has some interesting factoids.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnJack View Post
                            http://www.bbstate.com/schools/SDST/sheet

This is a replica of the sheet that the NCAA Committee looks at if a team is going to be in the tourney or on the bubble. Pretty cool stuff, as far as I'm concerned. This could be useful next week from Wednesday to Saturday if SDSU makes it happen on Tuesday and goes to the Big Dance, allowing me to compare teams to see where SDSU would be seeded. Or I'll leave that to Filbert.

*This has quickly turned into one of my favorite websites and part of it requires a subscription, but has some interesting factoids.
                            Good stuff.

Do you know which RPI they use? Or is it a proprietary NCAA RPI?
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                              Good stuff.

Do you know which RPI they use? Or is it a proprietary NCAA RPI?
                              http://www.ncaa.com/championships/basketball-men/d1

The Rating Percentage Index (RPI) was created in 1981 to provide supplemental data for the Division I Men’s Basketball Committee in its evaluation of teams for at-large selection and seeding of the championship bracket.

Several independent elements are combined to produce the RPI. These elements are a part of the statistical information that may or may not be utilized by each member in any manner they choose.

The RPI is one of many resources/tools available to the committee in the selection, seeding and bracketing process. Computer models cannot accurately evaluate qualitative factors such as games missed by key players or coaches, travel difficulties, the emotional effects of specific games, etc.

In January, the NCAA will release the official RPI on a weekly basis at www.ncaa.com.

Each committee member independently evaluates a vast amount of information during the process to make individual decisions. It is these qualitative, quantitative and subjective opinions -- developed after hours of personal observations, discussion with coaches, directors of athletics and commissioners, and review and comparison of various data -- that each individual ultimately will determine their vote on all issues related to selections, seeding and bracketing.

The individual components (i.e., win-loss record, opponents’ record, opponent opponents’ record, where the game is played) of the RPI in and of themselves, are important in the evaluation process.

LINK: Official RPI: http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post

If you want the league to have a chance to win a game or two in the big dance you pull for Oakland. Personally I'd kind of like to see IUPUI win it if the Jacks don't of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X