Ndsu president chapman resigns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ndsu president chapman resigns.

I was doing a little more research on Dr. Chapman and I found this link interesting.

http://kxnet.com/custom404.asp?404;h...pman/21016.asp

"An attorney general's opinion today says N-D-S-U President Joe Chapman demanded higher pay and home improvements in exchange for staying in Fargo. Chapman says it isn't true.

Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem issued the opinion today.

He says the Board of Higher education did not break North Dakota's open meetings laws when members discussed the job performance of University System Chancellor Robert Potts.

The opinion mentions a rumor that Chapman wanted Potts fired.

Earlier this year, Chapman was a finalist for the presidency of the University of Wyoming.

The opinion says Chapman had some conditions for staying. He wanted higher pay and improvements to the president's home. And he wanted to get rid of Potts."

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
      Exactly. Many of the grad programs that NDSU wished to start were either new to the state or were programs that had waiting lists at UND. I remember one in particular because it was in my field. UND had a doctorate in education that had a long waiting list and they had no plans to expand the program. NDSU documented this when they went to the SBoHE with their request for a similar program. The board granted the request over UND's objections and, several years later, both programs are healthy and running at capacity. In general, minimizing duplication is good thing. But there are specific areas where duplication is the healthy position.

Why did I write that previous post? It wasn't because of bitterness or anything of the like. Other posters had brought up half-remembered stories that were inaccurate to the point of reversal. If discussion were to continue, I wanted everyone to be working off of the correct facts. Also, the events I described were really the beginning of the horrible relationship between the administrations of the two schools for the past decade. Chapman and Kupchella were hired at the same time(1999) and they did not get along at all. All the stories came from the first few years of their tenures. Things didn't improve until Kupchella retired last year and Kelley was hired to replace him. All reports since then seem to indicate that Chapman and Kelley were getting along very well and several new cooperative programs were on the drawing boards.

I never disliked UND the institution, but I did dislike several individuals in leadership positions there. I've always felt that Kupchella was a very bad fit for UND. I think Kuppy would have excelled as the president of a 5,000-10,000 student DIII private school that focused solely on academics, or as the provost of a larger state school like U of MN, U of MI, Ohio State, etc. Kuppy had a tendency to focus on academics to the point of neglecting other areas(athletics, research, outreach, alumni connections). You can do that at certain schools, but not at schools like ours(SDSU/NDSU/UND). Chapman's predecessor at NDSU(Plough) was one of these types, and we are forever grateful that he left after only a few years. It's still early, but Kelley has been saying and doing the right things so far. Hopefully he's a good fit for the long run(Kelley's last job was as dean of a med school, so we've got no track record to work from). We(NDSU supporters) also hope that our next president is far more like Chapman than Plough or Kupchella.
      Again, I am not an insider... but, I thought that I would help the discussion with a couple of links

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...group/Opinion/

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/news/...74aecf207.html

Comment

It will be very intresting to see who is hired to succeed Chapman at NDSU. I just can not imagine the State Board of HE going for a potted plant type president. I suspect the next one will be very dynamic.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          It will be very intresting to see who is hired to succeed Chapman at NDSU. I just can not imagine the State Board of HE going for a potted plant type president. I suspect the next one will be very dynamic.
          We're going to find out who our interim president will be either today or tomorrow. The favorite is our provost, Craig Schnell. He got a unanimous vote of support from all the NDSU deans and distinguished professors(that's a group of about 10 or 15 professors that get a couple added every year - it was started a few years back with a group of 6 or 8). Other names that have come up are the recently retired president of Valley City State and Allan Fischer, an NDSU dean emeritus, former NCAA rep for NDSU, and former interim president of NDSU from the time between Plough and Chapman.

Comment

We're going to find out who our interim president will be either today or tomorrow. The favorite is our provost, Craig Schnell. He got a unanimous vote of support from all the NDSU deans and distinguished professors(that's a group of about 10 or 15 professors that get a couple added every year - it was started a few years back with a group of 6 or 8). Other names that have come up are the recently retired president of Valley City State and Allan Fischer, an NDSU dean emeritus, former NCAA rep for NDSU, and former interim president of NDSU from the time between Plough and Chapman.
            Craig Schnell was on campus at SDSU when I was. I recall being in ROTC class with him but I doubt he would remember me after all these years. Craig would be good choice for interim. Schnell has to be about 65, so I really wonder how interested he would be in long haul job of replacing Chapman. Nothing personal against Craig, but I think you need a real tough guy from some where else who has a few years before retirement and is looking for the challenge that NDSU has to offer at this time. Chapman's replacement is going to take a person with real tough skin, but has the ability to engener teamwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I don't think anyone is looking for a potted plant. I think a very dynamic leader with the best interests of the entire state would be great. The state of North Dakota has many reasons to thank Mr. Chapman.

Comment

Most of this was in my previous post, but I want to reinforce it a bit. In the case of business at NDSU, there was more demand than UND was filling and UND was unwilling or unable to expand their program.
                I am not sure that this is true, if UND was willing to take this to the SBOHE. UND would have to show how they would meet the needs of the community requesting the additional programs. I know that UND had a great working relationship with Bismarck and the University of Mary and I believe it was Minot prior to the arrival of Mr. Chapman in 1999. The distance learning courses included Professors traveling to all locations and teaching at all sites rotating throughout the semester. On several occasions, students would travel to other sites for classes. I believe most of the classes were offered in the evening to accommodate the part time MBA students. It was a very unique learning opportunity.

I agree that one program shouldn't be started at the expense of another, but sometimes there's room for a duplicate program if the demand is great enough. In this case it was. NDSU's business program is growing dramatically and I don't believe UND has felt any major repercussions. There may come a time when the two programs will compete for the best students(UND has a clear lead in this area), but that might actually benefit both institutions as well as the students as long as there are enough quality students to keep both programs full.
                I believe that having two programs is a missed opportunity for the state to build on a very successful business program. When I was in the program from the Fall of 96 to the Spring of 97. UND had put a lot of recourses into the distance learning center. At first, I was not sure how much I would like the classes. But, I quickly realized that they were the most interesting classes. As I think back to those classes, it was the practical experiences and varied backgrounds of the students that really added to the class room experience. It went from - here are the 'Marketing/Accounting/Finance' principles to how do we apply these principles. The group projects were very interesting because they were real world issues at local companies versus case studies.

I am sure the NDSU is building a very nice MBA program. But, I have to wonder what it could have been and what a scalable asset it could have become for many communities across the State of North Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSF View Post
                  I am not sure that this is true, if UND was willing to take this to the SBOHE. UND would have to show how they would meet the needs of the community requesting the additional programs. I know that UND had a great working relationship with Bismarck and the University of Mary and I believe it was Minot prior to the arrival of Mr. Chapman in 1999. The distance learning courses included Professors traveling to all locations and teaching at all sites rotating throughout the semester. On several occasions, students would travel to other sites for classes. I believe most of the classes were offered in the evening to accommodate the part time MBA students. It was a very unique learning opportunity.

I believe that having two programs is a missed opportunity for the state to build on a very successful business program. When I was in the program from the Fall of 96 to the Spring of 97. UND had put a lot of recourses into the distance learning center. At first, I was not sure how much I would like the classes. But, I quickly realized that they were the most interesting classes. As I think back to those classes, it was the practical experiences and varied backgrounds of the students that really added to the class room experience. It went from - here are the 'Marketing/Accounting/Finance' principles to how do we apply these principles. The group projects were very interesting because they were real world issues at local companies versus case studies.

I am sure the NDSU is building a very nice MBA program. But, I have to wonder what it could have been and what a scalable asset it could have become for many communities across the State of North Dakota.
                  I don't quite understand what you're getting at, but NDSU started its MBA program in the mid-80's. It would've been at least ten years old by the time you were at UND.

I also made a mistake regarding MBA options in the Fargo area. The University of Mary(Bismarck) has a branch campus in Fargo that offers a 16 month MBA program using night classes(at least it did in 2004 when the article I was reading was written). NDSU is the only accredited business school in the FM area, but Moorhead State is trying. MSUM reorganized its business school in 2005 and Concordia College created a separate business school just last year. Total enrollments of the business programs last year were about: UND-1,800, NDSU-1,400, MSUM-1,000, CC-850.

In the last decade, UND's enrollment grew from around 1,450 to 1,750-1,800. It leveled off from around 2004 to the present, but that's indicative of UND's total enrollment for that period. NDSU's program bounced around between 1,250 and 1,350 during the last seven years before increasing to a bit above 1,400 last year. The recent small bump is probably because classroom space was very limited before the new business building opened up this year. I think NDSU expects to add something like another 500 students to the business program over the next five to ten years now that they have the space.

Comment

I don't quite understand what you're getting at...
                    I dont either, I was lost miles back. Sounds like getting an MBA in North Dakota is as easy buying a box of Cracker Jacks and finding an MBA degree as the prize in the box.

Comment

More news at NDSU and Chapman's resignation. Looks like the administration will be dealing with this for quite some time, whether there is really any thing there or not.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

If events in South Dakota can lead one to the conclusion that the BoR has too much control over what goes on at the regental institutions, I think it is clear that there is, between UND and NDSU a culture of circumventing oversight by the SBoHE.

Neither situation is healthy.

Comment

I don't know if any of you are interested in this stuff, but the ND State Board of Higher Ed just released the system-wide audit on university construction projects. Eight pages of the 29 page document relate to NDSU and four pages are for UND. Both schools had three projects go bad(president's house, president's office and one academic building each). The audit also found the SBoHE had virtually no control over major building projects once they were approved.

http://www.nd.gov/auditor/reports/3028.pdf

Comment

I don't know if any of you are interested in this stuff, but the ND State Board of Higher Ed just released the system-wide audit on university construction projects. Eight pages of the 29 page document relate to NDSU and four pages are for UND. Both schools had three projects go bad(president's house, president's office and one academic building each). The audit also found the SBoHE had virtually no control over major building projects once they were approved.

http://www.nd.gov/auditor/reports/3028.pdf
                            Very interesting. Thanks Hammersmith.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

More fall out from Chapman's resignation.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/290648/

I also listened to the voice of the Bison station KFGO today, and progressive voice Joel Hietkamp a UND grad spoke with the current president on this matter. Heitkamp who refs football and has in the past spoken highly of Coughlin Alumni Staduim as a place to watch fall football, exposed some of the things that brought Joe Chapman down on his radio show. The current Pres at NDSU, who was interviewed on News and Views, seems more laid back and has taken measures to prevent the findings that were found in the audit report.

Comment

FIFTEEN THOUSAND FOR TONY ROBBINS SEMINARS???????????

That's hilarious!!

Comment

Working...
                                X