• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CappinHard
    replied
    Re: MVFC 2018 Season

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    Idaho state, SEMO, Samford, and McNeese losing today means the bubble is opening up some.

You figure that the CAA will take at least 4 of the 14 at large bids. The Big Sky will for sure take two more at larges. The Valley will for sure take one more at large.

That leaves seven at large spots left. In no particular order, the teams fighting for those seven spots are:

Montana/Montana State winner
    Indiana State with 6 DI wins
    Idaho State with 6 DI wins
    The 6th place CAA team at 7-4
    8-3 SEMO
    8-3 Monmouth
    Wofford @ 8-3
    Furman @ 7-4
    UND @ 7-4
    NCA&T @ 8-3 and out of the Celebration Bowl
    UIW/Nicholls (depending on who gets the Southland auto)
    6-5 WIU
    6-5 ISUR
    6-5 UNI

Not a lot to choose from. I'm guessing the southland will steal another bid, in addition to amother one from the Big Sky. That brings us down to 5 left. The Socon will probably take one more with an at large, maybe two. 3-4 bids left is my guess.

Honestly, if that scenario unfolds, I don't know how you can't give the CAA 5 at larges. They'll have the bulk of the 7-4 or 8-3 teams in at large contention, and most of them have at least one good win. If you don't take 6 from the CAA and 4 from the Big Sky, you'll almost certainly be taking the #3 Southland/#2 OVC, #2 Big South teams to fill out the field. Crazy year.
    *whispers* the field is too big, it should only be 16

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied

Idaho state, SEMO, Samford, and McNeese losing today means the bubble is opening up some.

You figure that the CAA will take at least 4 of the 14 at large bids. The Big Sky will for sure take two more at larges. The Valley will for sure take one more at large.

That leaves seven at large spots left. In no particular order, the teams fighting for those seven spots are:

Montana/Montana State winner
    Indiana State with 6 DI wins
    Idaho State with 6 DI wins
    The 6th place CAA team at 7-4
    8-3 SEMO
    8-3 Monmouth
    Wofford @ 8-3
    Furman @ 7-4
    UND @ 7-4
    NCA&T @ 8-3 and out of the Celebration Bowl
    UIW/Nicholls (depending on who gets the Southland auto)
    6-5 WIU
    6-5 ISUR
    6-5 UNI

Not a lot to choose from. I'm guessing the southland will steal another bid, in addition to amother one from the Big Sky. That brings us down to 5 left. The Socon will probably take one more with an at large, maybe two. 3-4 bids left is my guess.

Honestly, if that scenario unfolds, I don't know how you can't give the CAA 5 at larges. They'll have the bulk of the 7-4 or 8-3 teams in at large contention, and most of them have at least one good win. If you don't take 6 from the CAA and 4 from the Big Sky, you'll almost certainly be taking the #3 Southland/#2 OVC, #2 Big South teams to fill out the field. Crazy year.

*Edit*
    It's a real shame the Ivy, SWAC, and MEAC don't participate in the field. Instead of talking about the merits of a 6-4 Indiana state vs 8-3 Monmouth, we would have a 10-0 Princeton, 9-1 Dartmouth, 8-3 Alcorn State, and possibly a 7-3 Penn to fill up the field. At least this year we might get to see how NCA&T stacks up, unless FAMU slips up and gives the celebration bowl back to the Aggies.
    Last edited by Mr_Tibbs; 11-10-2018, 10:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GopherHole
    replied

After today's shakeup, does the MVFC get more than three teams in?

YSU 31 - UNI 10 (both eliminated)
    ISU blue 28 - ISU red 23 (red eliminated)
    USD 17 - W Illinois 12 (both eliminated)

NDSU and SDSU are in and both are likely high seeds (SDSU still needs to beat USD)

Leave a comment:

• GopherHole
    replied

Interesting story from HERO Sports on how many MVFC teams make the postseason. Like most, they view NDSU and SDSU as virtual locks.

Per Sam Herder, HERO Sports: "The loser of the Illinois State and Indiana State is probably going to be eliminated from the playoffs because both have a non-counter win."

In regards to next week, Herder adds: "Depending on what happened the previous week, we could see another playoff elimination game between Indiana State and WIU."

The MVFC may not have the depth of teams qualifying for postseason play as usual, but it would be hard to imagine not having at least one team and possibly two teams playing in Frisco to end the season. I can also imagine having four teams playing in the second round of the playoffs.

A second story from HERO Sports has three different writers projecting their playoff field. Collectively they have Western Illinois, UNI, Illinois State, and Indiana State listed as bubble teams.

For the MVFC, the playoffs started last week and will likely continue through the next two Saturdays. I'd love to see five teams in, but I'm afraid at least one bubble will burst this week and don't rule out two bursting by midnight on November 17th.

Leave a comment:

• Bits
    replied

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
    Indiaba St has a non-counter win since it was a D2 school so their DI record would be 6-4 which may well keep them out.
    Illinois State is in the same boat with a non-counter as they played a NAIA school to start the year, although they do have an FBS win. I agree with GopherHole in that the winner of the ISU red/blue game is on the bubble and the loser is out.

Leave a comment:

• GopherHole
    replied

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
    Indiaba St has a non-counter win since it was a D2 school so their DI record would be 6-4 which may well keep them out.

Good catch!

Leave a comment:

• NWHSUandSDSU
    replied

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    Not much excitement this week. One key game and the others should pan out based on Vegas lines.

Illinois State travels to Indiana State. You can officially put a fork in the loser of this game for postseason play. The winner could finish the season at 7-4 and argue that it's resume in the MVFC, and in ISU red's case, a 35-17 victory over FBS Colorado State, deserve to play Thanksgiving weekend.

Everything else should go as expected. However, this is the MVFC and there are so many quality players even on teams who may be looking for new coaches in the future. Moreover, all the favored teams will have to win on the road this week. (The Western Illinois at USD is my pick for a potential upset.)

SDSU at SIU
    UNI at YSU
    Western at USD
    NDSU at Missouri State

Leave a comment:

• GopherHole
    replied

Not much excitement this week. One key game and the others should pan out based on Vegas lines.

Illinois State travels to Indiana State. You can officially put a fork in the loser of this game for postseason play. The winner could finish the season at 7-4 and argue that it's resume in the MVFC, and in ISU red's case, a 35-17 victory over FBS Colorado State, deserve to play Thanksgiving weekend.

Everything else should go as expected. However, this is the MVFC and there are so many quality players even on teams who may be looking for new coaches in the future. Moreover, all the favored teams will have to win on the road this week. (The Western Illinois at USD is my pick for a potential upset.)

SDSU at SIU
    UNI at YSU
    Western at USD
    NDSU at Missouri State

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by goon View Post
    It's part of our history just like mertens at ndsu.
    Yes but Mertens was not a free thinker like TOB.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    Yep, I had to reset the "Days since last TOB reference" meter. It was a solid run of 781 days.
    It's part of our history just like mertens at ndsu.

Leave a comment:

• RowdyRabbit
    replied

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    I'm remembering something like this happening and yes, time did run out. I'd be okay without ever mentioning TOB again on this board ;-)
    Yep, I had to reset the "Days since last TOB reference" meter. It was a solid run of 781 days.

Leave a comment:

• BTownJack
    replied

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Didn't TOB try that at poly one year? He slid a yard or two from the goal line. If he lowered his shoulder he might have gotten in but he tried to line up to spike it but it was 4th down and I think we ran out of time anyway. At least I remember it somewhat like that.
    I'm remembering something like this happening and yes, time did run out. I'd be okay without ever mentioning TOB again on this board ;-)

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    In what will be forever known as the Bo Pelini Special, Youngstown State had 4th and goal on the Bison four yard line and their QB spiked the ball.
    Didn't TOB try that at poly one year? He slid a yard or two from the goal line. If he lowered his shoulder he might have gotten in but he tried to line up to spike it but it was 4th down and I think we ran out of time anyway. At least I remember it somewhat like that.

Leave a comment:

• Southeast
    replied

In what will be forever known as the Bo Pelini Special, Youngstown State had 4th and goal on the Bison four yard line and their QB spiked the ball.
    Wow.

It’s worth tuning in to that game now. Tied 7-7 as the 3rd is ending.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

His reaction has to have been priceless.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X