Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coach Nielsen seeking multi year contract

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
    well if you look at the recent commits for USD at least three of them were going to Western until the coach went to the u. so the u kinda did poach some recruits.
    The coaching staff did not reach out to WIU recruits as a sign of respect, the kids reached out to them

Comment

Originally posted by FeaRed View Post
      The coaching staff did not reach out to WIU recruits as a sign of respect, the kids reached out to them
      Riiiiiight!

Comment

Multi-year contracts at no pay (figuratively speaking) per year,don't kid yourself,we still won't get the best candidates to coach here, all we'll do is acquire more debt and still get about the same caliber prospect , but you can choose to believe what you want. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

The BOR is probably trying to figure out how to present this proposal to average working people who are already struggling to stay afloat financialy in this current economy we find ourselves mired in. That's probably the biggest challenge they face . I don't see anything to admire in the way this was handled,nothing.

Either the BOR is spineless in not standing firm to enforce their own policy or they are in collusion with USD to circumvent the current policy, either way I don't see how anyone would approve of these methods. But I'm old fashioned and probably outdated.Which is fine with me.

Has this been reported on by any news media outlets yet,I'd be curious to read and see how they present the facts to the public if they know anything or have quotes from interviews from the participants of this on going event that might have took place.
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 01-30-2016, 02:17 PM.

Comment

"But I'm old fashioned and probably outdated.Which is fine with me."

Exactly. Seriously, I love SD and my fellow Jacks fans, but open your mind up. There is a lot more out there than what is happening within your 50 mile radius comfort zone and the state of South Dakota. In the long run this only helps the state and SDSU when we need a new coach. If we aren't able to present the same contract to top coaches as other Universities outside of SD, we will not get a top choice coach. I agree that we will not need this for awhile hopefully, but it makes sense. Who knows how long USD has talked to the BOR about this. Unless you are a part of either, no one has a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFTW View Post
            "But I'm old fashioned and probably outdated.Which is fine with me."

Exactly. Seriously, I love SD and my fellow Jacks fans, but open your mind up. There is a lot more out there than what is happening within your 50 mile radius comfort zone and the state of South Dakota. In the long run this only helps the state and SDSU when we need a new coach. If we aren't able to present the same contract to top coaches as other Universities outside of SD, we will not get a top choice coach. I agree that we will not need this for awhile hopefully, but it makes sense. Who knows how long USD has talked to the BOR about this. Unless you are a part of either, no one has a clue.
            Exactly,that's why we need answers....LOL,...just tugging on your chain a little...ya,I'm a little bit undecided whether it will be a good thing or not,I can accept a lot of what you've said,wait and see,that's all we can do and hopefully it will all turn out ok .

But in all honesty,my biggest concern is the hard working people of South Dakota, and not over taxing them needlessly....most will support this whether they can absorb tax increases in the future due to acquiring more debt, which we all know gets passed on to the taxpayer, they will support it because of the enjoyment they get from following all the athletic events afforded to them in the State. But we can at the very least make darn sure to see if this action is really needed our not.To put a burden on people needlessly to obtain something that we might be able to do without is some what self-indulgent and frankly irresponsible and opportunistic,maybe even exploitation.Just give it the consideration and open it to the debate it deserves .Hopefully, that's what the BOR will do.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
              I beleive they ruled not to extend him the multi-year deal, but to seriously change (I read:CHANGE) The current policy. I am glad it will change, somewhat, Being a conservative when it comes to $$$ policy I believe this to be a negative from that lens. However I am a realist and Know that we will be replacing 3 major program coaches within the next 10-15 years. and the reality is in today's D1 climate you need multiple year deals for top applicants. USD's last 3 Hires have been great IMO and are the continued exception to the rule that we in SD have been lucky enough to enjoy.

I still think they way they went about it was all wrong, but perhaps it was a move prompted by the head of the BOR to force this issue. Personally I feel the BOR with their current rules shouldn't have even ever entertained the idea. But if it gets changed he is little to no doubt that both University's will benefit.
              It's premature to say USD's three hires have been great. Amy Williams is proving to be great. Craig Smith is a smooth talker, but he's battling to keep his men's basketball team out of last place in the conference and eligible for the Summit Tourney. Nielsen, who apparently wanted out of Western Illinois and its budget challenges, has a sub-mediocre record in three years at the D-1 level (16 wins, 21 losses). That said, I credit USD for raising the contract issue. Recruiting coaches to small, cold communities like Vermillion and Brookings can't be easy. Multi-year contracts might help.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                It's premature to say USD's three hires have been great. Amy Williams is proving to be great. Craig Smith is a smooth talker, but he's battling to keep his men's basketball team out of last place in the conference and eligible for the Summit Tourney. Nielsen, who apparently wanted out of Western Illinois and its budget challenges, has a sub-mediocre record in three years at the D-1 level (16 wins, 21 losses). That said, I credit USD for raising the contract issue. Recruiting coaches to small, cold communities like Vermillion and Brookings can't be easy. Multi-year contracts might help.
                To be fair I was talking about Joe.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

KELO-TV at 6:00 PM (Saturday, 1/30/16) had a brief story onthe one-year contract matter. Here's the text of the story narrated by Perry Groten:

"The South Dakota Board of Regents wants a permanent solution rather than a temporary fix for a policy that's preventing the University of South Dakota from officially signing its new head football coach. The Board on Friday moved to have its Executive Director work with schools on changing a policy that prohibits multi-year contracts for certain employees like coaches. Bob Nielsen is seeking a long-term deal to become the new USD head coach. Multi-year contracts are the norm for Division One teams and are seen as necessary to attract top applicants.”

Comment

Read the KELO news story quoted in the prior post.

The words “preventing the University of South Dakota from officially signing its new head football coach” are unambiguous. Did KELO really screw up in its reporting?
                    USD partisans claim there is a signed contract. It may be a fair conclusion that USD and Nielson have agreed in principal that Nielson is the coach for at least a year but I think USD implied, if not outright represented, that it had inked a one-year contract with Nielson. A reputable news organization says otherwise.

I have to believe that the SDSU athletic administration agrees in principle with the USD athletic administration and wants to have the ability to offer multi-year contracts to coaches. I agree with posters who have pointed out disadvantages of multi-year contracts but I am resigned to what I think is fact: we need the option because it maybe a deciding factor in a future hiring or in retention of a present coach.

I do not wish to downplay the expressions of disgust from some Jacks fans over the subject of the Nielson contract. Those expressions have little or nothing to do with Nielson and nothing to do with the question “Should schools be allowed to offer multi-year contracts?” The disgust expressed by some Jacks fans has all to do with history repeating itself. Reports like the KELO story support the proposition that the Nielson hiring as announced was at least disingenuous and maybe intentionally misleading. People are going to remember SDSU’s entrance to D-1 and USD’s entrance to D-1 were quite different. Questions of fairness are going to naturally arise. The news about the Nielson hiring and the request to change BOR policy begs the question “Does USD get to bend rules again?”

But, heck, does that really matter?

I suggest the following: on the question of rules being bent, one has to consider the possibility that SDSU’s successful charge into D-1 dispelled some of the early BOR concerns. As a result, some rules were determined to no longer be necessary. I think the Regents are entitled to flexibility and the right to change course as more information and experience is obtained. (I have written my opinion before that the Regents in recent years have been much more progressive and forward-thinking, all to the benefit of SDSU. There will be a day when SDSU requests a rule change and some flexibility.)

PIE TIME: I suggest the discussion about the Nielson contract be given a rest. The KELO report is there for public consumption. There can be no benefit to USD administratively taking the course it has taken (or its presentation to the public). If that continues, USD will only be hurting its own case with the Regents, its alums who would otherwise be better supporters of their alma mater, and the public -- the pool from which new fans may be drawn. This stink about the Nielson contract isn’t going to hurt SDSU one bit –and if the Regents change the one-year contract rule, our administrators may have an improved tool for retaining and hiring coaches.

Comment

So as of 1-30-16, has Nielson or has Nielson not, signed a contract, whether it be 1 year or multiple?

If he has not, how can he recruit?
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                        So as of 1-30-16, has Nielson or has Nielson not, signed a contract, whether it be 1 year or multiple?

If he has not, how can he recruit?
                        He could have an oral agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          He could have an oral agreement.

Anyone know Coach Nielsen's current address. If its Cherry Street Vermillion SD, I suspect it might be an oral agreement, plus it would appear he will not be able to back track to Macomb and pickup his old job.

Comment

Western Illinois hired a new head coach in early January. From its website:
                            "Western Illinois interim director of athletics Matt Tanney welcomed head coach Charlie Fisher in an introductory press conference on January 4, 2016.
                            Fisher becomes the 28th head football coach in WIU history. He has spent the last two years at Richmond, last year taking over as the offensive coordinator after serving as the wide receivers coach and director of recruiting in 2014. This season, the Spiders advanced to the semifinals of the FCS playoffs (10-4 overall record) while earning a ‘Top 10’ national ranking."
                            I'm guessing that Nielsen will be on one-year contracts until the SD regents resolve the multiyear contract issue.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

"Western Illinois interim director of athletics Matt Tanney welcomed head coach Charlie Fisher in an introductory press conference on January 4, 2016.
                              Fisher becomes the 28th head football coach in WIU history. He has spent the last two years at Richmond, last year taking over as the offensive coordinator after serving as the wide receivers coach and director of recruiting in 2014. This season, the Spiders advanced to the semifinals of the FCS playoffs (10-4 overall record) while earning a ‘Top 10’ national ranking."
                              I'm guessing that Nielsen will be on one-year contracts until the SD regents resolve the multiyear contract issue.
                              The only thing I don't like about one year contracts is it doesn't give the coach enough time to seek employment elsewhere,it's too sudden,it should be at least 2 years,maybe three at most .That would be more fair than just pulling the plug and watch them go down the drain.

Comment

No going home!

Comment

Working...
                                X