Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Craig Bohl To Wyoming

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
    Holy Smokes! 3 threads started at the same time!

I'm very surprised as well. But, Money talks...and...NDSU has ALOT of talented seniors...could be the end of the run, and Bohl maybe didn't want to go through the rebuilding process again?
    I think there are a lot of coaches that move on when their stock is high. They can see that they are losing several of their good players and if they don't move up then, they might not get the chance again for several years. I could be wrong on some of these but they are some examples the I can think of.
    NDSU"s MBB coach (Miles) after Woodside, Winkelman, etc.. moved on.
    USD"s football coach Ed. He might have been pushed out the door but he lost a lot of talent his last year.
    SF Washington's head football coach. I know that his son graduated and is playing at Montana but it sure worked out great that there were a ton of great players in that class.
    USD's WBB coach. This might be stretching it a bit but didn't they lose Hegge, Boss and Roach and then he moved on. I still think that Hegge should have been the conference players of the year.

I think NDSU will still be good next year but I'm fairly sure that they wont be a top 15 team and wont win the conference next year. I just think that they lose too much. I definitely don't see NDSU being as bad as they were after they lost their last big class but they will drop some.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      Since Bohl probably won't be in Laramie for awhile , he almost had to keep at least one of the current staff to maintain recruiting ties and contacts.
      Makes sense to me. Plus, this guy will be a source for the things not to do right off the bat. I was listening to KFGO, Joe Heitkamp who had several callers questioning the timing of the announcement, and Joe explained that WYO was forcing the issue since they had to let all their recruits verbaled to date, that they had a coach coming in (Bohl). The timing was anyone else's choice than Craig Bohl's. I don't know the history about coach that Bohl is replacing. Maybe someone can shed some light on that.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
        I think there are a lot of coaches that move on when their stock is high. They can see that they are losing several of their good players and if they don't move up then, they might not get the chance again for several years. I could be wrong on some of these but they are some examples the I can think of.
        NDSU"s MBB coach (Miles) after Woodside, Winkelman, etc.. moved on.
        USD"s football coach Ed. He might have been pushed out the door but he lost a lot of talent his last year.
        SF Washington's head football coach. I know that his son graduated and is playing at Montana but it sure worked out great that there were a ton of great players in that class.
        USD's WBB coach. This might be stretching it a bit but didn't they lose Hegge, Boss and Roach and then he moved on. I still think that Hegge should have been the conference players of the year.

I think NDSU will still be good next year but I'm fairly sure that they wont be a top 15 team and wont win the conference next year. I just think that they lose too much. I definitely don't see NDSU being as bad as they were after they lost their last big class but they will drop some.
        Miles left NDSU after Woodside's sophomore season.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          This point of taking the staff with him is interesting. His staff has been successful at the FCS level, but will the success continue at the FBS level? I can think of one former NDSU coach Don Morton, who took his staff to Tulsa and on to U of Wisconsin. In that group was a former SDSU coach Mike Daley, who subsequently was relatively successful at SDSU. Also in that group was Craig Bohl and at Wisconsin, Morton hired a grad assistant, John Stigilemiere. There were others too, but the my point is: Can a group of coaches continue to make all the right decisions and choices at the next level? The train wreck of the Joe Glenn success train also comes to mind.

We will find out next season and subsequent seasons. Five years down the road, Wyoming could be looking for another coach, that is what I am saying because of not getting enough wins, or the program has lost it's moral integrity. Would Bohl be smart to abandon everyone at NDSU and hand pick his own staff based on FBS coaching experience? Another question!

Bohl had a lot of assistants from FBS schools early in his tenure at NDSU. He never could get any of them to stick around very long and eventually that became an issue. What has worked best for him is to find guys from lower levels, they have been much more loyal to him.

Comment

This point of taking the staff with him is interesting. His staff has been successful at the FCS level, but will the success continue at the FBS level? I can think of one former NDSU coach Don Morton, who took his staff to Tulsa and on to U of Wisconsin. In that group was a former SDSU coach Mike Daley, who subsequently was relatively successful at SDSU. Also in that group was Craig Bohl and at Wisconsin, Morton hired a grad assistant, John Stigilemiere. There were others too, but the my point is: Can a group of coaches continue to make all the right decisions and choices at the next level? The train wreck of the Joe Glenn success train also comes to mind.

We will find out next season and subsequent seasons. Five years down the road, Wyoming could be looking for another coach, that is what I am saying because of not getting enough wins, or the program has lost it's moral integrity. Would Bohl be smart to abandon everyone at NDSU and hand pick his own staff based on FBS coaching experience? Another question!
            I think Bohl will be successful at Wyoming if they have the patience to let him coach for 5 years. There were lots of NDSU fans who would have been happy to see him leave after going 9-13 in 08 and 09 and losing 3 in a row to SDSU. There will be less patience at Wyoming.

His Bison teams the last 3 years would have finished ahead of Wyoming in the conference standings, IMO. He will be able to get better recruits than those currently playing at NDSU.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

If I'm one of Bohl's assistants, no way I'm staying if I have a chance to leave.

I'd say there is a 75% chance the next head coach will "fail" in the eyes of fans. The chances of the majority of NDSU fans being really happy with the next hire in 3 years are pretty slim.

This will be the general sentiment at Bisonville in the next 5 years:

"Yeah, we don't suck. But when Bohl left we were the premier program in FCS, and this clown can't even make it to the semis? How did we fall so far?"

Far different situation than coming in an replacing a "bad" head coach with losing seasons. If Bohl is semi successful at Wyoming, chances are any of his assistants could waltz back into the NDSU job within 5 years. And they will be looked at as a potential savior instead of "not Bohl."
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                If I'm one of Bohl's assistants, no way I'm staying if I have a chance to leave.

I'd say there is a 75% chance the next head coach will "fail" in the eyes of fans. The chances of the majority of NDSU fans being really happy with the next hire in 3 years are pretty slim.

"Yeah, we don't suck. But when Bohl left we were the premier program in FCS, and this clown can't even make it to the semis? How did we fall so far?"

Far different situation than coming in an replacing a "bad" head coach with losing seasons. If Bohl is semi successful at Wyoming, chances are any of his assistants could waltz back into the NDSU job within 5 years. And they will be looked at as a potential savior instead of "not Bohl."
                My guess with out checking is the ndsu cordinators have just as good of a chance with ndsu fans as a new guy who hasn't maybe coached as much at the level they have. Let's face it Bohl would have had a hard time if he doesn't get back to the playoffs. If he stayed and missed the playoffs or booted early rounds he would be in the hot seat at ndsu even with possible 3 titles. Its hard to follow that sucsess for anyone. I would think some current ndsu guys who want to move up their title might consider staying and applying even with a national search.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Rumors are that DC Chris Klieman will be NDSU's next head coach...

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                    Rumors are that DC Chris Klieman will be NDSU's next head coach...
                    Does that mean Bohl is still sticking around for the playoff run?

If true, why not let Klieman take over now?

Comment

• Re: Craig Bohl To Wyoming

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      Does that mean Bohl is still sticking around for the playoff run?

If true, why not let Klieman take over now?
                      I don't know, Taylor seemed to make it pretty clear that Bohl will be the coach. It is a weird situation.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                        I don't know, Taylor seemed to make it pretty clear that Bohl will be the coach. It is a weird situation.
                        "A Michigan man is gonna coach Michigan" - Bo Schembechler

Comment

Somewhat like sentiment on your board about Stig?

Comment

This was often my thinking in D2 days about NDSU. One HC after another left for green pastures, and I thought the cup would soon go dry, but it never happened, because the resources were there no matter who was coach, and true NDSU lost 22 seniors and a bunch of regulars this season, but there are bunch of good players who are second and third stringers who have never seen the field unless there was a blow out. I expect NDSU to be a top program in the MVFC next year. Don't count them out.

Comment

This was often my thinking in D2 days about NDSU. One HC after another left for green pastures, and I thought the cup would soon go dry, but it never happened, because the resources were there no matter who was coach, and true NDSU lost 22 seniors and a bunch of regulars this season, but there are bunch of good players who are second and third stringers who have never seen the field unless there was a blow out. I expect NDSU to be a top program in the MVFC next year. Don't count them out.
                              He didn't say they wouldn't compete for the MVFC title. He's referring to National Championships. Pretty sure NDSU fans won't be happy with a 2nd place finish in conference next year.

Comment

If the Klieman rumor holds true, I would guess Bohl grabs Hazelton from Nevada for a DC. It would be a win-win-win-win. Bohl gets a DC he knows who also happens to have Rocky Mountain recruiting and MWC general knowledge. Hazelton gets about a $100k bump in salary. Kleiman gets a $100k bump in salary plus the chance to see if he's HC material. NDSU gets continuity and the recruits are less likely to bolt.

Comment

Working...
                                X