X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Craig Bohl new Wyomng Coach

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
    I can't say that I blame him.

I KNEW the salary would be a jump up, and it is.

I do think Wyoming will possibly end up in the Big 12...they want to get back to 12 schools, and Wyoming is about the Closest Geographic-wise, school size, and Most importantly $$-wise.

It may not be in the works for this next year or two...but I could see it happen.

Congrats to Coach Bohl. Always liked him, even when he's kicked our tales. His teams play hard, solid, fundamental football... I think he was a wise choice for Wyoming, and I do think he will end up with a 3rd National Title, as this year's Bison team is just loaded.
    Crazy talk. See: BigGoosie13 post

Comment

Re: Craig Bohl To Wyoming

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      Wyoming isn't a great job but reports are he will get paid between 1.5 and 2 million and get use of a twin prop airplane for recruiting. NDSU can't even come close to that. Also I've heard rumblings out of Wyoming of stadium renovations and other facilities updates to get them on par with the rest of the MWC.
      Overview on Bohl's salary: http://trib.com/news/opinion/blogs/c...12b13fe08.html

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        I think that pretty much sums it up. More money. He has accomplished about all he can at the FCS level. If he gets WYO consistently near the top of the MWC, it'll be a miracle and he'll cement his legend. At some point, you have to think about your future. If somebody dangled three times as much money in front of me, even if it wasn't my dream job, I would almost certainly take it and so would most people. Good for him. He has earned it.
        If the Bison win out as expected and three-peat , Bohl would have been foolish to stay. He's created expectations that are almost superhuman , especially with the fan base to the north. Lots of seniors will be gone and it will take awhile to get back to this level. There seem to be a fairly large number of Jacks fans that are upset at making the playoffs and winning only one game. Could you imagine the outcry from up north if NDSU doesn't make the playoffs next year or loses in the first round ? I think that Bohl realized that he has created expectations that even he could not continue to achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
          The salary for Wyoming assistant pool will be $1.3 million...that is a serious chunk of change.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
            The timing just stuns me. Team is most likely going to go undefeated and 3peat. I need confirmation, if they announce tomorrow, is he gone tomorrow? Or can they announce but allow him to finish the year at NDSU?
            Nailed it. Oh yes.
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

The thing that boggles me is he's getting ALL of that, plus his house partially paid for (monthly taxes anyway). It's along the lines of a multi-million dollar NFL star who is the Super Bowl MVP and gets a free car....do they "really" need the free car too?

Anyhow, that's how it works I guess. Best of luck to him his remaining time in Fargo and as he takes over in Laramie.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

The thing that boggles me is he's getting ALL of that, plus his house partially paid for (monthly taxes anyway). It's along the lines of a multi-million dollar NFL star who is the Super Bowl MVP and gets a free car....do they "really" need the free car too?

Anyhow, that's how it works I guess. Best of luck to him his remaining time in Fargo and as he takes over in Laramie.
                Yeah, where's the car allowance? I figured with realistic incentives,he'll make about $965,000 his first year. Not a bad gig for the MWC.

Comment

Nailed it. Oh yes.
                  Yes you did nail it. I'm not so sure NDSU had much of a choice if he really is going to pilfer the rest of the staff.

Comment

Yes you did nail it. I'm not so sure NDSU had much of a choice if he really is going to pilfer the rest of the staff.
                    This point of taking the staff with him is interesting. His staff has been successful at the FCS level, but will the success continue at the FBS level? I can think of one former NDSU coach Don Morton, who took his staff to Tulsa and on to U of Wisconsin. In that group was a former SDSU coach Mike Daley, who subsequently was relatively successful at SDSU. Also in that group was Craig Bohl and at Wisconsin, Morton hired a grad assistant, John Stigilemiere. There were others too, but the my point is: Can a group of coaches continue to make all the right decisions and choices at the next level? The train wreck of the Joe Glenn success train also comes to mind.

We will find out next season and subsequent seasons. Five years down the road, Wyoming could be looking for another coach, that is what I am saying because of not getting enough wins, or the program has lost it's moral integrity. Would Bohl be smart to abandon everyone at NDSU and hand pick his own staff based on FBS coaching experience? Another question!
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 12-10-2013, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Well I would say his staff he has is already hand picked by him. Smarter to go into a new team with a staff you know and trust than having to meld a new staff as well as a new team.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper 76 View Post
                        Well I would say his staff he has is already hand picked by him. Smarter to go into a new team with a staff you know and trust than having to meld a new staff as well as a new team.
                        Something tells me there are a whole bunch of differences between FCS and FBS besides 20 some scholarships. There is a whole different political arena to deal with so what each coach does or does not do is very important. Maybe and I suspect, Craig Bohl has talked to Joe Glenn about things that went wrong in his era at Wyoming. There has to be some very influential individuals among the Cowboy boosters to come up with the money that they have on hand to pay Craig Bohl. He is going to have to win or else.

On the other hand it could work and lead to a better job yet.

Comment

Even thought the assistants could make more going with bohl the desire for many cordinators is to become a head coach. If I were a cordinator at ndsu I would seriously entertain the idea if I could about becoming a headcoach. Also ndsu might try to keep some like promote a O cord to head coach and QB coachto O cord etc. So I don't think its as simple as if he wants to take his whole staff as is to the next level. Plus he probably has plenty of other connections with coaches at different levels who might be more then ready to step into that situation with him. Ndsu might try to keep some staff or give um new positions so they have the same people out recruiting and such. Just a thought.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            Even thought the assistants could make more going with bohl the desire for many cordinators is to become a head coach. If I were a cordinator at ndsu I would seriously entertain the idea if I could about becoming a headcoach. Also ndsu might try to keep some like promote a O cord to head coach and QB coachto O cord etc. So I don't think its as simple as if he wants to take his whole staff as is to the next level. Plus he probably has plenty of other connections with coaches at different levels who might be more then ready to step into that situation with him. Ndsu might try to keep some staff or give um new positions so they have the same people out recruiting and such. Just a thought.
                            I read on a blog that Bohl is keeping one of the Wyo guys to have some continuity. I suspect one of the NDSU guys will stay behind as an assistant or might get the nod for HC. This how we got Coach Stig. He was hired by Wayne Haensel, but was the only one retained by Mike Daly. I guess that paid off for Coach Stig.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              I read on a blog that Bohl is keeping one of the Wyo guys to have some continuity. I suspect one of the NDSU guys will stay behind as an assistant or might get the nod for HC. This how we got Coach Stig. He was hired by Wayne Haensel, but was the only one retained by Mike Daly. I guess that paid off for Coach Stig.
                              Money talks, yes being a HC might change the minds of any, but at the same point does NDSU want to give it to some coordinator with no head coaching experience when they are a big enough name to get either a guy with HC experience or possibly a big name coordinator at a big name school.

I heard that argument when Nagy interviewed at Ball State, that SDSU was a big enough name to go out and get someone, rather then to give it to Hansen who had no HC experience.

My guess is they go national search, and quite possibly interview someone from the current staff, but I'd be shocked if they just handed over the reigns to someone on the staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                Since Bohl probably won't be in Laramie for awhile , he almost had to keep at least one of the current staff to maintain recruiting ties and contacts.

Comment

Working...
                                X