Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Game Day Coming to Fargo

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'd like to know if, when a BCS school hosts, if Gameday sets up shop way away from the stadium. Was this even a Gameday decision? Was it a Fargo decision? I just don't understand why they'd WANT to be away from the crowd.
    Tune in KFGO today, McFeely is talking about this. There is no way you host this at the Fargodome, without taking away parking for 2000 cars at the Dome lot. ESPN is going to start setting up on Thursday and certain areas of downtown traffic will be shut down, as there are several ESPN people coming in cars which no doubt are rentals but they need the parking space.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Tune in KFGO today, McFeely is talking about this. There is no way you host this at the Fargodome, without taking away parking for 2000 cars at the Dome lot. ESPN is going to start setting up on Thursday and certain areas of downtown traffic will be shut down, as there are several ESPN people coming in cars which no doubt are rentals but they need the parking space.
      Why not get a place on campus then? If they can set up shop around stadiums that hold 80K+ then i am sure the fargo dome could handle it.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

If ESPN ever comes to Brookings don't be surprised if they set up in front of Touchdown Jesus, First Luthern Church end of Main, that is if the Deacons allow such a display.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          Why not get a place on campus then? If they can set up shop around stadiums that hold 80K+ then i am sure the fargo dome could handle it.
          Downtown Fargo is not that far from the Dome, maybe a mile, but ESPN made their choice, so why not ask them?

Comment

Downtown Fargo is not that far from the Dome, maybe a mile, but ESPN made their choice, so why not ask them?
            It was more a hypothetical question more then dirrected to you. I just figure go to the campus where they excitement would be, students around atleast, unless they are like are students then they would have left for the weekend to go back home.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              It was more a hypothetical question more then dirrected to you. I just figure go to the campus where they excitement would be, students around atleast, unless they are like are students then they would have left for the weekend to go back home.
              The dislike of Corso might have something to do with it. I heard on KFGO, that a lot of students had fire Corso signs.
              Of course Corso has a thick skin, but apparently there is more logistics and things that come into play and I am sure some ESPN person could explain the choice better. No I did not take offense, but I dont have answer, and but there is apparently more considerations that go into the the choice. That I do know.

Comment

Not that I watch College Gameday much (ok, at all) but I seem to have noticed that more often than not they are not set up in the immediate vicinity of the stadium--at least when I tune by and notice them.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The dislike of Corso might have something to do with it. I heard on KFGO, that a lot of students had fire Corso signs.
                  Of course Corso has a thick skin, but apparently there is more logistics and things that come into play and I am sure some ESPN person could explain the choice better. No I did not take offense, but I dont have answer, and but there is apparently more considerations that go into the the choice. That I do know.
                  Purely visual. The Fargodome and the surrounding area is not exactly known for its beauty. And since the whole area is flatter than a sheet of Home Depot plywood, there's no good way to showcase the tailgating from the main set. (You can use a scissor lift to give you a good vantage point, but you can't put the whole set up there.) There are a couple spaces on campus that are kinda nice that are large enough to work, but nothing mind-blowing. The shot they are going to be using downtown is probably the most iconic picture of Fargo. One reason to the visceral reaction to the news is that we're getting almost sick of seeing it every single time someone shoots a video from Fargo. But we're pretty much through the five stages of grief* and this uproar will be mostly over by noon tomorrow. Oh, and it's 2.3 miles from the set location to the Fargodome. Traffic can be a bit of a b**ch, though.

This is the shot they'll be using(assuming the link works right): https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...,331.59,,0,1.3

*1. Denial: No way they're putting it downtown; it must be a mistake.
                  2. Anger: How can they do this! This is the stupidest thing in the history of stupid.
                  3. Bargaining: Maybe if we send enough emails and twitterbomb them they'll change their mind.
                  4. Depression: Is anyone even going to show up? This is going to ruin tailgating.
                  5. Acceptance: We're Bison fans; if we can bring 15k to Frisco and 30k to Minneapolis, we can bring 5k two and a half miles and back.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                    Purely visual. The Fargodome and the surrounding area is not exactly known for its beauty. And since the whole area is flatter than a sheet of Home Depot plywood, there's no good way to showcase the tailgating from the main set. (You can use a scissor lift to give you a good vantage point, but you can't put the whole set up there.) There are a couple spaces on campus that are kinda nice that are large enough to work, but nothing mind-blowing. The shot they are going to be using downtown is probably the most iconic picture of Fargo. One reason to the visceral reaction to the news is that we're getting almost sick of seeing it every single time someone shoots a video from Fargo. But we're pretty much through the five stages of grief* and this uproar will be mostly over by noon tomorrow. Oh, and it's 2.3 miles from the set location to the Fargodome. Traffic can be a bit of a b**ch, though.

This is the shot they'll be using(assuming the link works right): https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...,331.59,,0,1.3

*1. Denial: No way they're putting it downtown; it must be a mistake.
                    2. Anger: How can they do this! This is the stupidest thing in the history of stupid.
                    3. Bargaining: Maybe if we send enough emails and twitterbomb them they'll change their mind.
                    4. Depression: Is anyone even going to show up? This is going to ruin tailgating.
                    5. Acceptance: We're Bison fans; if we can bring 15k to Frisco and 30k to Minneapolis, we can bring 5k two and a half miles and back.

Is that the same street where Beck got in to trouble? Does ESPN know they already have cameras there?

Comment

Originally posted by bisonbacker View Post
                      You are not heeding Filberts request very well.
                      You're insane if you think that goes against what Filbert said.

I agree with him. This benefits NDSU and NDSU only. And honestly, that's the way it should be. Their program is the best and their fan base is the most passionate. Those are both facts. SDSU, the MVFC, and FCS are not going to get any benefit.

I think most of us are jealous in some way, but we all know NDSU deserves it.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Most of the rest of the country doesn't know the difference between North and South Dakota anyway. In a week or so, if you tell most college football fans that Gameday was in South Dakota they would probably remember watching Corso in the Dakotas. Nationally, we would be hard pressed to be more irrelevant. A win over Nebraska would really confuse them. First they knock off K. State and then Nebraska...they must play some good ball up in the territories.
                        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Short term probably not, but maybe long term. I guess the way I see it benefiting SDSU and the other upper MVFC schools is that it may provide motivation and keeps the pressure on them to keep trying to better their programs. Maybe a donor sees this and makes a bigger donation, or better tv deals for games start appearing. I don't know, but there is some long term conference value there I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Vicks Dead PitBulls View Post
                            Short term probably not, but maybe long term. I guess the way I see it benefiting SDSU and the other upper MVFC schools is that it may provide motivation and keeps the pressure on them to keep trying to better their programs. Maybe a donor sees this and makes a bigger donation, or better tv deals for games start appearing. I don't know, but there is some long term conference value there I hope.
                            How many millions do you have to give? I have none.

Comment

How many millions do you have to give? I have none.

Hey if I win the lottery tomorrow Lots lol

Comment

Hey if I win I include SDSU at the top of the list of gifts

Comment

Working...
                                X