Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More trouble in BisonLand

http://mobile.inforum.com/page/article/id/402976

FARGO – Authorities are not sure what started the bar fight last weekend that involved a star linebacker at North Dakota State University, but prosecutors say they’re convinced they couldn’t prove he committed felony assault.

Cass County State’s Attorney Birch Burdick said in a news conference this afternoon that after a review of surveillance videos and interviews with witnesses, prosecutors are dismissing the Class C felony aggravated assault charge against Travis Beck.

“It became clear to us that while he was involved in that incident, it would be difficult for us to prove he committed aggravated assault and disprove it wasn’t self-defense,” Burdick said.
    The 21-year-old was charged in Cass County District Court on Monday, accused of punching a man in the head multiple times in what began as a verbal fight in a downtown Fargo bar on Saturday night and Sunday morning. Police reports stated 24-year-old Matthew Aanenson was found unconscious on the sidewalk on NP Avenue.

Misdemeanor charges of resisting arrest also linked to the incident, which were filed against Beck in Fargo Municipal Court, are still pending, Burdick said.
    According to the complaint filed in Cass County, multiple witnesses told officers at the scene after bar close early Sunday that Beck was the aggressor in the fight.

The prosecutors being afraid of the defense attorney, or worse, who is making a living off of NDSU football players - I understand he defended the voter fraud players - does not make Beck an innocent victim that many Bizon fans are trying to make him out to be. Like I said not surprised.
    Last edited by LakeJack; 06-13-2013, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
      Now back to your regularly scheduled jealousy.
      It's amazing how a section of Bison fans manage to maintain both a persecution complex and a superiority complex. 'Poor us, we're so awesome.'

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
        Jealousy is ugly. Seriously. There was a video that showed Beck was the one attacked. It just happened that he was the tougher...even though there were two of them. Let it also be known that the other guy was considerably larger than Beck. It appears this guy was looking for trouble and found it. Not sure about his buddy.

Now back to your regularly scheduled jealousy.
        Have you seen the video? Seriously.

Comment

I glad this is over for Travis Beck. He is a small town ND kid, and he does not appear to have a short fuse as I implied in a now deleted post. No doubt a good football player who apparently was minding his own business so the video appears to reveal. Contrary to TransAM snide jealousy remark, I am happy for Mr. Beck and all of Bisonville. I don't know what the video shows but it does not support a felony charge, otherwise Cass Co Attorney Burdick would still be in pursuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            I glad this is over for Travis Beck. He is a small town ND kid, and he does not appear to have a short fuse as I implied in a now deleted post. No doubt a good football player who apparently was minding his own business so the video appears to reveal. Contrary to TransAM snide jealousy remark, I am happy for Mr. Beck and all of Bisonville. I don't know what the video shows but it does not support a felony charge, otherwise Cass Co Attorney Burdick would still be in pursuit.
            Here's the video: http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/402976/
            W
            hile it shows Beck trying to walk away,it doesn't show what happened before the fight or during.

Comment

I should not have been as entertained as I was by that video.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Seems like a case where the "law" according to "the arresting officers" is not necessarily the law until it all gets sorted out in a "court of law",thank God.Sometimes "bullys" get lessons in humility from intended victims.Just my impression from a brief video intended to video evidence a violent and unruley suspect......didn't happen.

Mr Beck is entitled to defend himself,if the other guy did indeed escalate the whole affair and initiated the "aggression " that transpired afterward.
                This type of thing happens all the time in bars,and i'd be a little dissappointed in law enforcement, if they can't correctly find out all the facts(interview witnesses and determine their credibility) before they start throwing out charges(casting a wide net,hoping some of it sticks,particularily resisting arrest ,which,in my mind should be more than taking a few steps in the wrong direction before,in your inebriated state of mind ,you realize you shoudn't)

That said,I also know law enforcement personnel do have a rough job,and we need them for exactly these types of situations to keep them from getting out of hand.

It'll all work out in the end,i suspect,All involved will learn valualble lessons hopefully.As long as no one got seriously hurt,it'll probably just get dismissed as "drunk and disordily" charges.Now,someone who truely (sp?)understands the law can call me an "idiot",but this is my take on the whole affair.

Comment

Video of Beck from the back of the police car

http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/Sports/

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    Seems like a case where the "law" according to "the arresting officers" is not necessarily the law until it all gets sorted out in a "court of law",thank God.Sometimes "bullys" get lessons in humility from intended victims.Just my impression from a brief video intended to video evidence a violent and unruley suspect......didn't happen.Mr Beck is entitled to defend himself,if the other guy did indeed escalate the whole affair and initiated the "aggression " that transpired afterward.This type of thing happens all the time in bars,and i'd be a little dissappointed in law enforcement, if they can't correctly find out all the facts(interview witnesses and determine their credibility) before they start throwing out charges(casting a wide net,hoping some of it sticks,particularily resisting arrest ,which,in my mind should be more than taking a few steps in the wrong direction before,in your inebriated state of mind ,you realize you shoudn't)That said,I also know law enforcement personnel do have a rough job,and we need them for exactly these types of situations to keep them from getting out of hand.It'll all work out in the end,i suspect,All involved will learn valualble lessons hopefully.As long as no one got seriously hurt,it'll probably just get dismissed as "drunk and disordily" charges.Now,someone who truely (sp?)understands the law can call me an "idiot",but this is my take on the whole affair.
                    this did not happen in a bar, it was in a Asian restaurant that is open till 4am were people eat and wait for rides etc....this was an hour after
                    BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                      this did not happen in a bar, it was in a Asian restaurant that is open till 4am were people eat and wait for rides etc....this was an hour after
                      Sure he was stone sober then.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                        Video of Beck from the back of the police car

http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/Sports/
                        Yikes,that was brutal

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                          Yikes,that was brutal
                          Asian food really messes this kid up. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            Sure he was stone sober then.
                            never ever said he had not been drinking but so what he is 21 off on summer like you have never had a few to many drinks, just clarifying that this was NOT a bar brawl
                            BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                              never ever said he had not been drinking but so what he is 21 off on summer like you have never had a few to many drinks, just clarifying that this was NOT a bar brawl
                              Who cares if it was in a bar or an Asian restaurant? It was a fight that was likely caused by both parties having too much to drink. I would bet a large sum of money had both parties been completely sober, this never would have happened.

I have had more than my fair share of alchohol many times, but not once have I found myself in the backseat of a squad car. It's all about making sound decisions whether your a drunk or sober.

Considering Mr. Beck has already been on the wrong side of the law because of alcohol really makes me question his decision making skills.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                                Who cares if it was in a bar or an Asian restaurant? It was a fight that was likely caused by both parties having too much to drink. I would bet a large sum of money had both parties been completely sober, this never would have happened. I have had more than my fair share of alchohol many times, but not once have I found myself in the backseat of a squad car. It's all about making sound decisions whether your a drunk or sober. Considering Mr. Beck has already been on the wrong side of the law because of alcohol really makes me question his decision making skills.
                                because there are way to many people acting righteous and bashing him because the news initially reported it as a bar brawl, and gave a false perspective on the actual events. Go ahead and question his choice, but I know for a fact if 2 guys are constantly riding and picking on you something gives, if you actually watch the video Beck did try to leave once and then even the girl grabbed him. Self defense even happens on school playgrounds. Do I wish he would have just left no matter yes, and do I think fighting is good no, I actually advocated right after hearing for him gone because I also thought the Police report would be accurate and i pre judged him, but I learned a lesson now as they really f'ed this up, and even the DA in a round about way said it.

Everyone is bashing Beck because the other idiots got their ass kicked and were stupid enough to pick a fight with a 21 yr old in top physical strength, had those same 2 idiots picked a fight and got beat up by a bum off the train 4 blocks down nobody would have ever heard
                                BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Working...
                                X