Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USD v NDSU in Sioux Falls

Here is a quote from Justin Sell from TV's Tuesday Tidbits:

“I can’t take away regular-season contests,” Sell said. “I never say never to anything, but for football I can’t go anywhere. We’re doing great stuff – I’ve got students and businesses to think about, plus I don’t want to give away our homefield advantage.”

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
      Here is a quote from Justin Sell from TV's Tuesday Tidbits:

“I can’t take away regular-season contests,” Sell said. “I never say never to anything, but for football I can’t go anywhere. We’re doing great stuff – I’ve got students and businesses to think about, plus I don’t want to give away our homefield advantage.”
      bingo
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
        We are getting really thin at a few positions because of injuries. We are really hurting at safety, fullback, and linebacker. Even though we have some promising running backs in the pipeline, only Crocket seems be producing...and he is injured as well. Our #1 receiver also separated his shoulder. These are a lot of injuries to overcome and keep winning. Honestly, I am not concerned with USD. It is after that game things get very interesting. If we are to win any of the next games, I think we need a fullback back in the lineup, and getting our #1 receiver back would really help as well.
        Thanks for weighing in seems like every time MY OH MY, AKA Scott Miller voice of the Bison, is on KFGO, he often mentions the injuries and how they are piling up. On a side note should Coach Vigen be fired?
        Last edited by Nidaros; 10-16-2012, 08:37 AM. Reason: s

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
          Good luck with that. We avg. more fans at our games then Howard Wood holds and this is the second time that SF hasn't taken advantage of having FCS football in their town.[/FONT][/COLOR]
          We've had this argument before. You can argue taking games away from Brookings hurts students, the community, the bottom line, etc, but you can't say that Sioux Falls hasn't taken advantage of FCS football. It just isn't true.

SDSU had 7 games in Brookings and 1 in Sioux Falls back in 2005. The Sioux Falls game outdrew every game except Hobo Day, the Beef Bowl, and 1 other game in Brookings (and was only about 400 fans short of that one).

The USD/NDSU game will likely outdraw all but 1 of USD's home games this year (homecoming), and USD is having perhaps their worst season ever. And its on a day when two local universities face off for the first time ever in a highly publicized game.

More people watched SDSU men's basketball take on Manhattan in the Sioux Falls Arena than Butler in Frost.

I agree with Sell's reasoning for keeping games in Brookings, but games in Sioux Falls aren't the epic failure for SDSU people make them out to be.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Jackrabbits would be happy to play USD in Sioux Falls every other year and in Brookings on the alternate years. Sign the contract today.

"Away" basketball, VB, wrestling or baseball games would also be acceptable, whether its USD or another team. Don't give up home games.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Jackrabbits would be happy to play USD in Sioux Falls every other year and in Brookings on the alternate years. Sign the contract today.

"Away" basketball, VB, wrestling or baseball games would also be acceptable, whether its USD or another team. Don't give up home games.
              Away games for us are somebody else's home games...

I would like to see the Sports Authority work with SDSU to put together some sort of basketball tournament with DI teams in Sioux Falls once the new events center is done. Is that what you mean by away games?

As to USD/NDSU, the Coyotes desperately need to engage their Sioux Falls and regional alumni. If the fans aren't coming to the games, bring the games to the fans. I will still maintain they pull a bigger crowd in Sioux Falls than they would have in Vermillion for this game. No harm done.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

I would like to see the Sports Authority work with SDSU to put together some sort of basketball tournament with DI teams in Sioux Falls once the new events center is done. Is that what you mean by away games?

As to USD/NDSU, the Coyotes desperately need to engage their Sioux Falls and regional alumni. If the fans aren't coming to the games, bring the games to the fans. I will still maintain they pull a bigger crowd in Sioux Falls than they would have in Vermillion for this game. No harm done.
                Except for that part where they aren't playing in their home stadium. They're awful away from the Dakota Dome, even if it is only going to be Sioux Falls.
                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

We've had this argument before. You can argue taking games away from Brookings hurts students, the community, the bottom line, etc, but you can't say that Sioux Falls hasn't taken advantage of FCS football. It just isn't true.

SDSU had 7 games in Brookings and 1 in Sioux Falls back in 2005. The Sioux Falls game outdrew every game except Hobo Day, the Beef Bowl, and 1 other game in Brookings (and was only about 400 fans short of that one).

The USD/NDSU game will likely outdraw all but 1 of USD's home games this year (homecoming), and USD is having perhaps their worst season ever. And its on a day when two local universities face off for the first time ever in a highly publicized game.

More people watched SDSU men's basketball take on Manhattan in the Sioux Falls Arena than Butler in Frost.

I agree with Sell's reasoning for keeping games in Brookings, but games in Sioux Falls aren't the epic failure for SDSU people make them out to be.

I think you could maybe take a basketball game to SF over Christmas break but that would be about it. This year, SDSU doesn't have any home games over that break so it wouldn't work this year. Both the Manhattan and Butler games were over Christmas break. I think the game in Frost only drew about 100 less fans and that was when the students were gone(of course Butler was much better than Manhattan). SDSU has more students and season ticket holders so moving a game when the students were gone would take some of the problems out of the equation.

There have been a lot of changes in the athletic department since 2005. I'm just guessing but I think there are about 4 times as many season ticket holders as there were back then. With just the season ticket holders and students, there shouldn't be a crowd that small anymore. I guess maybe a really crappy day in November might bring a small crowd but it would be small in Sioux Falls, too.

I can't comment about the attendance of the USD games. If they draw less than 8,000 fans, maybe moving a game is a good move. SDSU doesn't draw that poorly so it's just not a good move for them, anymore.

I do think the USD/NDSU game would outdraw all the other games regardless of where it is played because of the NDSU/SDSU fans. Next year, the SDSU/USD game will have the most fans regardless of where that game was played. too. The attendance will look good for Sioux Falls but it's like comparing apples to oranges. USD is having a bad season but when you compare their attendance for that game to the others "this year", the season record shouldn't matter.

Comment

...I agree with Sell's reasoning for keeping games in Brookings, but games in Sioux Falls aren't the epic failure for SDSU people make them out to be.
                    I agree with the above. Sioux Falls supports SDSU very well. I'm still opposed to moving any "home" game to Sioux Falls. An exception that could be considered may be a rare occasion when there is a $$ guarantee that makes it financially smart (and it's hard to imagine such a guarantee would be offered by any party).

Comment

Getting to and from SF is not what it used to be before I-29. Two lane on US 77 to Colman corner, then east past Lone Tree and then turning at Lone Tree, south past Dell Rapid to Cliff, and then past the Pennitenary to Main Ave. IT took over an hour and now with I-29,its 45 to hour drive, depending what kind of speeding ticket you can afford. A piece a cake. Yes SF does support SDSU athletics, and how many students from SF commute daily to classes in Brookings? I have often wondered as there were carloads when I was a student in the early 1960's. Maybe not as much now days with online and the SF campus offerings. Try and buy an acreage between SF and Brookings, it will cost you plenty. I think the distance between SF and Brks does not seem as far as it once did in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        Jackrabbits would be happy to play USD in Sioux Falls every other year and in Brookings on the alternate years. Sign the contract today."Away" basketball, VB, wrestling or baseball games would also be acceptable, whether its USD or another team. Don't give up home games.
                        No thanks

Comment

Sure is a lot of hype and talk for this game. It won't matter how many people show up. The tally that they announce will be far bigger than the actual number of people that show up. That's how they've done it down there. My guess is 7,000 people show up (it's a guarantee that the announced will be at least one more than SDSU in 2005) and that the announced crowd will be slightly higher than what we are averaging this year. BTW, another genius move by USD marketing to host this game on the Pheasant Opener.

Just look at how many empty seats there are and it will give a clue. USD catching the Bison a week after a loss is a recipe for an ugly result.

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                            . BTW, another genius move by USD marketing to host this game on the Pheasant Opener.

SUPERBUNNY
                            I could be wrong but I think the conference makes the conference schedule and then the schools make the rest f their schedule.

Comment

I mean it the same way A.D. Sell was quoted by TV. A major or mid-major DI program that wants to play SDSU but doesn't want to play in Frost may be willing to schedule on a "neutral" court in SD (pentagon or arena).
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X