USD Coach Meierkort contract.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Coach Meierkort contract.....

I sit on a couple of administrative boards with prominent USD supporters and had heard rumors regarding this even before the UND game. There is more to it then on field performance. I want to feel bad for Ed but he has never apologized for "business" decisions as it pertains to recruiting or coaching and this was a "business" decision for admin. what comes around goes around.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      I sit on a couple of administrative boards with prominent USD supporters and had heard rumors regarding this even before the UND game. There is more to it then on field performance. I want to feel bad for Ed but he has never apologized for "business" decisions as it pertains to recruiting or coaching and this was a "business" decision for admin. what comes around goes around.
      UGH, the Peter Prinicple does work. In the media, he has come across in a cocky manner, much different than Coach Stig. If his demeanor got in the way, that might explain a number of issues with on campus people. Being a personnel issue I thought Saylor was wise in his answers posed by Jackrabbit1 and did not go into details other than saying he wanted different leadership at this point in time. Thanks for sharing Doc. In many minds SDSU and USD are equals, and you wonder how secure is Coach Stig.

Comment

Having read all the stories, I can only conclude that there were significant academic and disciplinary lapses behind all of this. I doubt it's any systemic issue. USD has a good graduation rate and no doubt many good students on that team. My guess is that Ed had more tolerance for a few bad apples than the AD did. But who knows?

It will be interesting to see who they get. I have to wonder, though, where the money will come from. They'll need to pay more to get an experienced coach and to get that kind of coach they'll have to pledge more for assistants as well. We pay our assistants peanuts and don't even have a full staff. Stig isn't getting rich, either. Makes you wonder how USD can put together a competitive package. I'm guessing they'll have to settle for an FCS assistant. Guys like Caruso won't come cheap. St. Thomas has plenty of money.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
          "not being terrible" is good enough for people around here? Do we have the same attitudes with our coaches? As long as you're not terrible...Come on.
          I don't believe "not being terrible" is good enough to keep a job long term, but I do think it is good enough to keep a job for a year or 2 after transition. I think if you come through transition as a .500 team had success at D2 and at previous stops you deserve a year or 2 to see how stuff goes. Look at the facilities and budget USD has, not any better than SDSU's and probably worse in many cases.

I think that in general too many coaches get a pass in South Dakota College athletics in term of results.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            I think that in general too many coaches get a pass in South Dakota College athletics in term of results.
            I agree, maybe its because the replacement would cost more in terms of a package. I think its interesting that Sayler said in his interview with Jackrabit1, that he has already received calls of inquiry. So there are coaches ready to make a move, USD might not be for them but there are people out there looking.

Comment

What does this mean for the players? How many of the kids he's been recruiting bail? How many kids already on the team bail?
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                What does this mean for the players? How many of the kids he's been recruiting bail? How many kids already on the team bail?
                Its Thanksgiving break so many of the players were off campus when they heard of the news. Reports are that their #1 recruit a 3 star DE out of Lee's Summit has already de-committed. As far as player moves? IDK, Sayler said all other employees are still in tact, which could help keep kids stay, but could also cause problems. Generally if you are going to hire a new coach, he brings his own staff in, so if you are on the staff are you out recruiting and helping players or are you looking for another job?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  Its Thanksgiving break so many of the players were off campus when they heard of the news. Reports are that their #1 recruit a 3 star DE out of Lee's Summit has already de-committed. As far as player moves? IDK, Sayler said all other employees are still in tact, which could help keep kids stay, but could also cause problems. Generally if you are going to hire a new coach, he brings his own staff in, so if you are on the staff are you out recruiting and helping players or are you looking for another job?
                  Looks like we get ourselves a new DE at SDSU
                  With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfr...ds/post?id=540

Says he has offers from SDSU, Central Arkansas, & UND.

Comment

Isn't there a good chance this action might negatively affect revenue as well as expenses?

There has to be some supporters of Ed among the alumni and friends of usd.

If you don't agree with what's transpired, isn't to easier not to write the check, or write it for less!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        Isn't there a good chance this action might negatively affect revenue as well as expenses?

If you don't agree with what's transpired, isn't to easier not to write the check, or write it for less!
                        This certainly is the risk that AD Sayler is taking in making this change. It could back fire or it could shake some money loose that was already being held back. Hard to tell at this point.

You have thought there was good support with John Austin, Ed's precessor, a USD grad and a former assistant at Iowa, but things improved in terms of revenue with that coaching change that time around. It seems rude to ask someone else to build on the program that was built by another coach, but that is what his sucessor will be asked to do. I think Jackmd is on to something, and there are issues that will probably never be made public that weigh into this decision. Notice not a peep from President Abbott, and he has the final word on these type of decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post

At the end of the day I think it comes down to winning. It is really that simple, if you can win you will be accepted by all. I did not know Ed, but people I know from Vermillion say he is one heck of a guy, very well liked in the community and so on. And these people did not say the same thing about other coaches at USD. He came off as arrogant and cocky but I kinda like that in a coach.

Comment

The Coyotes are 2-15 in FCS road games since 2008 and are just 15-30 in road games under Meierkort. Not the whole story, but part of the story.

Comment

To be honest this is the greatest thing to ever happen to Jackrabbit football. I can't believe USD actually will help us out, just like they used us and NDSU to test the waters of D1. We get to use USD. We get to see what kind of coach they will be able to get. They have the same money issues as us. They have the same contract issues(yearly) as State. They are in a somewhat worse town(I think I'm being nice when I say that), but they are closer to cities like Omaha, Des Moines, St. Louis, Kansas City, which I do think helps their recruiting 6 hours is better than 8 for driving. This might even pave the way for multi-year contracts. Their budget is somewhat the same. Their assistants are low paid. I'm sure Sell will be watching with interest how this pans out for USD. I'm not saying anyone is firing Stig, but down the road, it will be a good indicator how quick the admin in Brookings will push the button.
                              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

From Mick Garry's Twitter: "Offensive coordinator Wes Beschorner will be the Coyotes' interim coach; says he's also interested in the permanent job."

Originally posted by Drake View Post
                                The Coyotes are 2-15 in FCS road games since 2008 and are just 15-30 in road games under Meierkort. Not the whole story, but part of the story.
                                SDSU is 22-37 on the road since 2000.
                                Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
                                Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

Working...
                                X