Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Coach Meierkort contract.....

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
    Agreed. With the losses due to graduation, expected transfers, loss of time recruiting, move to power conference in MVFC, etc. it could be very brutal for the next few years. That is why I am indifferent. If I had my druthers he would have been forced to hire some veteran coordinators. Again, that would mean money. On the flip side, maybe this move with the move to the MVFC will get some major support from fans both financially and interest and propel the program forward in the long term with some short term headaches. Who knows
    Don't underestimate how big this is going to hurt USD. They need to sign a coach ASAP!

Weird thought here:

Would SDSU consider hiring Meierkort? He knows the area for recruiting. He's a proven OFFENSIVE coach, which is something that SDSU has struggled with the past couple of years, and he's a proven recruiter. I've never been the biggest fan of the guy, but maybe Stig could keep him in line. He'd definitely help the team out. Not sure if an assistant's salary would be enough to keep him around though.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by SDSUAlum08; 11-22-2011, 07:07 PM.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
      Don't underestimate how big this is going to hurt USD. They need to sign a coach ASAP!Weird thought here:Would SDSU consider hiring Meierkort? He knows the area for recruiting. He's a proven OFFENSIVE coach, which is something that SDSU has struggled with the past couple of years, and he's a proven recruiter. I've never been the biggest fan of the guy, but maybe Stig could keep him in line. He'd definitely help the team out. Not sure if an assistant's salary would be enough to keep him around though.Thoughts?
      I had the same ones (thoughts)...

Comment

Should we make a billboard out of this?

Comment

Ed was more of a defense coach when he came to USD. Glen Caruso developed the the offense in D-2 and Ed continued the scheme with Wes (Glen's QB) as offense coordinator.
          Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Weird thought here:

Would SDSU consider hiring Meierkort? He knows the area for recruiting. He's a proven OFFENSIVE coach, which is something that SDSU has struggled with the past couple of years, and he's a proven recruiter. I've never been the biggest fan of the guy, but maybe Stig could keep him in line. He'd definitely help the team out. Not sure if an assistant's salary would be enough to keep him around though.

Thoughts?
            a. do we have an opening that I missed?
            b. there's no way he takes step back in pay.
            c. there's no way he takes an asst job in conference and in state.
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Don't underestimate how big this is going to hurt USD. They need to sign a coach ASAP!

Weird thought here:

Thoughts?
              Nope, I just dont see it happen. Its like the yankees hiring Francona as a coach. Probably would do fine but the perception of fans is not good. I think he would conflict with stig IMO.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

He was an avg coach, can win at home but looses on the road. Had talent a lot but didnt turn it int a lot of wins.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                  a. do we have an opening that I missed?
                  b. there's no way he takes step back in pay.
                  c. there's no way he takes an asst job in conference and in state.
                  D. There is no way coach Stig would be interested.

Nothing against Meierkort as a coach, I just don't see him and Stig seeing eye to eye and being able to work together.

Plus, I don't see Meierkort's ego being able to take that hit.

If anything, I would be interested to see if any Jack assistants apply for the job. I highly doubt it, but it would be interesting.

Comment

A matchup like oil and water!

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                      D. There is no way coach Stig would be interested.

Nothing against Meierkort as a coach, I just don't see him and Stig seeing eye to eye and being able to work together.

Plus, I don't see Meierkort's ego being able to take that hit.

If anything, I would be interested to see if any Jack assistants apply for the job. I highly doubt it, but it would be interesting.

I agree, but it's just a thought. I don't think it would ever happen, but a guy like Meierkort can change too.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Followed USD football all of my life so I'm appreciative of what Ed did for the program. They flat out stunk before him and he turned it around. Joey is right as well, he is a stud recruiter. Honestly, USD had better athletes than SDSU this year.All of that being said, it was a time for a change. His teams flat out underachiever on the road. If it was just this year it should be overlooked but it goes back to D2 days. The team that was 9-2 and missed the playoffs had the best offense I've ever seen. Multiple NFL players on that team. Blew out (like game over at half time) 2 playoff teams. But they lost to Mankato and Duluth on the road. And the same thing has happened every year since. I wish Ed luck in whatever he does next. I really hope Wes can stick around as offensive coordinator (if not SDSU please please hire him). Had to be done.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Don't underestimate how big this is going to hurt USD. They need to sign a coach ASAP!Weird thought here:Would SDSU consider hiring Meierkort? He knows the area for recruiting. He's a proven OFFENSIVE coach, which is something that SDSU has struggled with the past couple of years, and he's a proven recruiter. I've never been the biggest fan of the guy, but maybe Stig could keep him in line. He'd definitely help the team out. Not sure if an assistant's salary would be enough to keep him around though.Thoughts?
                          They should hire Wes B. As offensive coordinator. Omg I would be happy about that.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Could we trade coordinators - Wes for Meadows???
                            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                              Could we trade coordinators - Wes for Meadows???
                              We will do the trade if you throw in Sumner.
                              Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Surprised at the move. Ed had a good record. Didn't follow USD's road schedule much, though I do know they dropped the games at UND and Poly this year after having big leads. I thought he did a pretty decent job down there, frankly. More to the point, though, I'd echo what others have said...it's kind of crap to fire him after he's led the program through the transition. Kind of a raw deal for the guy, it seems. Curious what the real story is.
                                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                                X