Is Brookings a JackRabbit town?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Brookings a JackRabbit town?

I also feel Brookings is a JackRabbit town. The excitement starts in the fall and I feel last through spring. I feel the local business owners really reach out to SDSU and Brookings so it is a win win.

I cannot speak with alot of knowledge but I have always felt one difference between Brookings and Vermillion is that the Brookings business owners live in Brookings. I cannot say that is as true in Vermillion. People I have talked to from USD and Vermillion state that many business owners (especially resturants) live in SF or SC and there business is only one of many that they own. The owners do not frequent USD athletic events as frequently and it causes disconnect.

That being said, Vermillion is set up to really paint is town RED and espect the new AD will capitalize on this.
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
      the high costs to produce and get ads into the media.
      My thoughts on this:

Good turnout from Brookings residents, plus student attendance needs to be the 'basis' for good attendance. These are the people that have the fewest obstacles to attendance.

Thus, I suggest cheap viral marketing:

"I walked on behind a man who was pushing a roller that printed the name CINZANO on the sidewalk in damp letters." (from The Sun Also Rises)

Using waterbased paint, soap, and so forth, have a bunch of work-study kids obtain permission to paint the sidewalks downtown, to paint the windows throughout campus, and paint the sidewalks on campus.

Lots of Jackrabbits, reminders of game times, and so forth.

That's a cheap way of getting TOMA. "What's going on Saturday?" "Jackrabbit game."

How does your typical Brookings resident know this? lots of dirt cheap watercolor paint and tempera.

Comment

My too, scents...Excellent question, by the way - give the man a carrot!

Having just migrated from the Jackrabbit den of Brookings to the nether regions of South Dakota, I asked myself that question quite a bit during our transition into Division I. I would agree with those that say "yes it is, but we've got a LOT of work to do."

With 4 kids into activities in school and local clubs - it is difficult to keep BHS activities from conflicting with Jackrabbit events. With my kids activities and work committments, it was impossible to be a devout Jackrabbit fan and take in everything - not enough time in the day.

In my old, humble neighborhood (and Brookings in general IMHO) - 40% were pretty 'grounded' fans that are pretty consistent attendees and knew what was going on and what was important. 20% had no idea and no interest. 20% had an idea, but went only if someone gave them tickets. 20% couldn't care less and likely resent the university because the kids really fowl up traffic when they're trying to get to Walmart for senior discount Sunday's.

They key to Justin Sell's job - is to sell (like the play on words?) to 30% of the 60% that are currently not engaged in Jackrabbit athletics. There is a portion of that 60% that are actively engaged in SDSU 'doing's', but will never embrace athletics. (Even if Jim Langer, Adam Vinatieri, Danny Batten, etc are star athletes on our fields at the same time)

Case in point - SDSU vs. SIU FB game last fall. NEVER been a bigger game in SDSU history and just because it's pheasant opener, we don't have a sellout? (I know November games are tough - but that's the challenge we have to overcome)

Brookings is on it's way - but we (they) need to keep working at it and those of us that now drive in for gameday, need to keep coming. (And bring friends and fellow alumni - carpool, for God's sake!!!) Go Jacks!!

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
          SDSU vs. SIU FB game last fall. NEVER been a bigger game in SDSU history and just because it's pheasant opener
          SDSU / SIU wasn't pheasant opener. It was a drop dead gorgeous day in November.

I can remember it like yesterday. All of us standing there. Staring at the field. Trying to figure out why they decided to suit up the dance team.

Comment

This is an interesting discussion. A number of good points have been made. I think the Brookings business community has much to gain from promoting SDSU. There a number of things that could be done to further this cause.

I think having AD Sell come at the time he did was a god send. Many of his ideas are new and very workable.

I recall a late season fan bus ride to NDSU-UND, when we were near the basement in the standings, and for many fans the season was over. I had a long audience with Fred Oien in the back of the bus, one of the few times I sat back there, but with this trip there were a lot of seating choices. This was in the late 1980's and just before Fred became the AD,and I recall very vividly the question I asked : Will SDSU ever go D1? The answer was not very likely in his time or mine. Off the record, the costs at the time seem prohibitive to even plan such a move I was further told.

So much has since changed since that balmly early March Afternoon, and I think changing AD' when we did was a very good move in retrospect. This is not a slam to my dear friend Fred, but rather recognition of the fact that he had accompolished more than he ever dreamed in getting us through the transition. He took his marching orders from the President, who inturn had a vision for the future. I think Fred was ready for a successor as he had gotten the programs as far as he could go and it was time for new blood and new ideas.

I think we will see a better town and gown relatiohship than we have ever had before. SDSU has done things very well, but we can always do better both as a gown and a town.

Comment

Sell and Costello really had nothing to do with this actually. It was the manager Derek from the bookstore and the Student Association. I do think Sell is doing a great job conecting with everyone and building that interest on other ventures!

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
              Glad to hear it! I have been impressed so far by the efforts from Mr. Sell and Mr. Costello from the standpoint of activating the fanbase. That's good to see and look for it to continue.

At out tailgate the last few years it seems like there are a few people that come that haven't been to a Jacks game in a long time and they have a blast and indicate they had no idea how much fun the games are. Obviously, the attendance is up which means that more and more people are having great experiences.

It needs to continue to grow and then things such as new stadiums and upgraded facilities will become realities.

When you spend a few minutes to think about it and compare what things are like now compared to a decade ago it is really quite remarkable. It's been quite a ride! How fortunate us fans have been. A tip of the cap to the Administrations, Athletic Department Staff, the Student-Athletes, and let's not forget as fans to pat ourselves on the back. There is a lot left to do yet to get our facilities to be the best and fully fund everything but we're going the right way and there is an excitement about Jackrabbit Athletics that you can really feel.

I can't wait until the pigskin is flying at Coughlin Alumni!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
              X