Is Brookings a JackRabbit town?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Brookings a JackRabbit town?

I know I get on and stir the pot avery now and then between USD and SDSU, but I would like a serious discussion without bashing...please.

Do the majority of SDSU fans think the town of Brookings supports, and shows the pride it should regarding SDSU? I don't get there often, so does Brookings have banners and other things out that display the pride the town has in SDSU? Is the culture of Brookings outstanding in its support of SDSU, or in reality, is it somewhat lethargic?

I am asking because I think the town of Vermillion could do a lot better job of promoting USD, and backing USD sports. I love USD and I love Vermillion, but I feel the two are not in sync.

Now, the easy thing here to do is BASH USD and Vermillion, but I am asking for restraint, and give me your honest opinions on where Brookings is in your eyes on this topic.

YFE

Re: Is Brookings a JackRabbit town?

I'm a long-goner from living in Brookings, or SD in fact. But during my years in college I worked in Vermillion, and schooled in Brookings. There was always a positive vibe, reports on SDSU and a support for the Jacks in Brookings. Even in the dead of summer. Didn't get that vibe while I lived in Vermillion. More of a roll up the sidewalk deadness, both on the USD campus, as well as throughout town.

Comment

Yoteforever,

You have a valid question and I will throw my $.02 in the ring. For the most part, the city of Brookings does a good job in supporting the Jacks and the University does a good job reciprocating. The partnership between the two hasn't been this strong in my adult years.

When it comes to Jackrabbit Athletics, there is aways more that can be done and it gets better every year. We are becoming D1 fans! A little more coordination between SDSU, the city, the media, and passionate fans could go a long way to making football gamedays in particular a much bigger deal. Declaring a Friday before a game a "Blue out" or "Yellow Alert" and have businesses encourage their employees to wear those colors. Hats off to the folks at the SDSU Bookstore for doing a great job of greatly expanding the quantity and upgrading the quality of the Jacks merchandise that is available. The downtown store has been a great addition.

As a Brookings HS alumni, all of the attention the university gets does really hurt things at BHS. There are just so many things going on between the two and you can't be everywhere. As opposed to say Watertown where the Arrows are THE show in town and they get tremendous support. Not much can be done about it. It is what it is. My guess is Vermillion HS suffers from the same thing.

It will be neat for Jacks fans to see what gameday in Lincoln is like. The WHOLE town, hell the state for that matter, turns red on gameday. All the store windows get painted up. Big office buildings turn only the lights on to make a big N at night. That may inspire Jacks fans to step it up. Those that went to Montana saw what a great atmosphere at the FCS level is like. You have to give props to our rivals in Fargo as well. They do gameday right! We can do it too!

The Jacks are new to this level of success in football and if they keep it up it will become a contagious thing throughout the town and hopefully across the state. The Jacks had some real successes in transition that kept the fans engaged. I hope the U can see some succeses like that or it becomes easy for a fanbase to lose interest in a hurry.

Things are what you make of them and I think the Jacks are kind of a big deal! My plan is to GO BIG, GO BLUE, GO JACKS!!!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

In recent years, speaking from the position of a frequent visitor, Brookings has increased its connection with the University. Businesses around town seem to have more signage and such. I know the Village Square area has/had Jackrabbit Banners on all the light poles. I know the guy that is in charge of Mills Property Management's outdoor areas is a big SDSU supporter so the light pole thing was his deal.

I think the exposure of D-I has caused many local businesses/entities to look differently at the university. Hopefully many of them will continue to forge a strong relationship with the student community and support SDSU more effectively in the future. I really do believe its improved in recent years.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
          In recent years, speaking from the position of a frequent visitor, Brookings has increased its connection with the University. Businesses around town seem to have more signage and such. I know the Village Square area has/had Jackrabbit Banners on all the light poles. I know the guy that is in charge of Mills Property Management's outdoor areas is a big SDSU supporter so the light pole thing was his deal.

I think the exposure of D-I has caused many local businesses/entities to look differently at the university. Hopefully many of them will continue to forge a strong relationship with the student community and support SDSU more effectively in the future. I really do believe its improved in recent years.
          I agree with you. There is a buzz around town, interest is up, attendance is up, and that trend looks to continue. Winning can do wonders!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Yes, Brookings is a Jackrabbit town. And since the D-1 move, the connection has become stronger.

When I attended and was graduated from SDSU (1976), I thought there was a strong connection between the community and SDSU. In recent years, I've had two sons graduated from SDSU and I think the bond between the community and SDSU is a lot stronger.

I went to USD (JD, 1979) and, as I have said before on threads on this message board, I enjoyed my time in Vermillion and at USD. (Carey's Bar is a great place and eased me through the loss of my time at Horatio's.) I thought there was a disconnect between the community and USD...there was a subtle "townies" vs. college attitude. I didn't think that it was particularly strong but I wondered if some in Vermillion refused to recognize the idea that USD is a great thing for Vermillion. Now, I've had a son go all through undergrad and law at USD and he's an extremely loyal Coyote. I had the impression that in recent years, the connection between Vermillion and USD has improved and continues to improve. I think the D-1 move has the potential to cement the relationship if it goes okay.

yoteforever, you asked if the relationship between Brookings and SDSU is outstanding or somewhat lethargic. I'd say it is close to and continually moving toward outstanding. It is certainly not lethargic.

Comment

"Back the Jacks Friday" officially starts this fall. Hopefully that will spill out into the community. It is a new campaign that SDSU is starting to get more excitment about the Jacks.

Comment

I moved out of Brookings 12 years ago and I think looking back there was a big disconnect between the town and the college, There was a town vs. college vibe... noticed especially if you hung around during the summers, which I did.

In talking and visiting now I don't see it near as much, but I am not living there and am usually only visiting on game days, which is when the hype is the most, so I am not a good judge to be honest.

That said, living in Yankton - which in my opinion should be solidly a USD town and in all honesty is not - and covering events in Vermillion both VHS, USD and non-athletic events such as city meetings etc... the disconnect between the U and Vermillion is very large, even antagonist at times.

Only speaking from what I have seen, people are not as invested in the U as they are in SDSU. Also, there is much more casual interest in what is going on at State. I think typically there is just as large a group from Yankton heading to Brookings on game days, as do to Vermillion.

As USD transitions and with time does things right and gains the same success and respect as SDSU, maybe that will change.

Comment

I was born and raised in Brookings County. In all my thoughts and recollections, its hard to separate town from gown. With out the gown, there would be no town. I think SDSU will never be replaced from the throne of the largest employer. If there is any kind of edge as alluded to by Leeshjo, its very mimimal. The current mayor, Tim Reed works for the SDSU Foundation so I think his view is that Brookings is a Jackrabbit town.

Brookings has for a long time had faculty serving on the City Commission. Professor Gamble comes to mind, as he served a number of years, so I think representation by SDSU on boards and commissions has never been overlooked.

I have passed through Vermillion countless times on my way from my home at the time Columbus, Nebraska to Brookings SD for SDSU for athletic events. I really could not form much of an opinion, but I have heard stories similar to what JackJD mentioned. I would also suspect that support since moving to D1 has warmed the cockels of some of the Vermillionites, but maybe not. I think USD support from Vermillion per capita out ranks that which UNO receives from Omaha and probably that of what IPFWU receives from the community of Fort Wayne. I thinking with less population there is more support for the gown that is in town. I keep thinking of how Tom Douple and staff so quickly embraced Vermillion and USD for membership in the Summit. That tells you a great deal about Vermillion being a Coyote town.
                  Last edited by Nidaros; 07-16-2010, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
                    "Back the Jacks Friday" officially starts this fall. Hopefully that will spill out into the community. It is a new campaign that SDSU is starting to get more excitment about the Jacks.
                    Glad to hear it! I have been impressed so far by the efforts from Mr. Sell and Mr. Costello from the standpoint of activating the fanbase. That's good to see and look for it to continue.

At out tailgate the last few years it seems like there are a few people that come that haven't been to a Jacks game in a long time and they have a blast and indicate they had no idea how much fun the games are. Obviously, the attendance is up which means that more and more people are having great experiences.

It needs to continue to grow and then things such as new stadiums and upgraded facilities will become realities.

When you spend a few minutes to think about it and compare what things are like now compared to a decade ago it is really quite remarkable. It's been quite a ride! How fortunate us fans have been. A tip of the cap to the Administrations, Athletic Department Staff, the Student-Athletes, and let's not forget as fans to pat ourselves on the back. There is a lot left to do yet to get our facilities to be the best and fully fund everything but we're going the right way and there is an excitement about Jackrabbit Athletics that you can really feel.

I can't wait until the pigskin is flying at Coughlin Alumni!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

I think something that's developed, especially in maybe the past twenty years, is a sense of Brookings as a community that's something more than just a college town.

This is not to say it isn't a college town (it obviously is), but my perception of Brookings today is that it is a much more "balanced" community than it was a couple of decades ago. I think one byproduct of that is that the support for SDSU has actually increased within that community as it has grown larger, and grown from being totally dependent on SDSU to only being largely dependent on the school.

I think what I'm trying to say tht as a college town grows larger, there is a larger segment of the population that isn't directly related in any way to the college--this is a good thing (you have a larger immediate market) and a not-so-good thing (need to actually spend money to do real honest to goodness marketing, to bring in those residents who have no connection to the college).

SDSU may have been a bit slow to understand that they actually had to do that marketing, even in Brookings, but my perception is that this is changing.

Having said that, I think the support Brookings as a community shows for SDSU has always been very, very good.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

From what I've seen and experienced Brookings does a good job of supporting the Jacks. I would say a "Good" job, but not an excellent job yet.

I do believe the new blood in the athletic department is much more focused on improving the visibility of SDSU which should go a long way. The goal is to get support from not only Brookings, but the whole state.

IMO, I'd like to see more marketing and reaching out to communities that are within 2 hours of Brookings that have larger populations. I think the next step is to be able to have fan support coming in from different areas besides Brookings & Sioux Falls (although Sioux Falls is by far the most important)

I'd like to see more fans coming from Aberdeen, Huron, Mitchell, Watertown, Marshall, & Worthington. It would be cool to be able to have a Greyhound in each city that would offer free shuttles to Brookings on game day.
                        http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          I was born and raised in Brookings County. In all my thoughts and recollections, its hard to separate town from gown. With out the gown, there would be no town. I think SDSU will never be replaced from the throne of the largest employer. If there is any kind of edge as alluded to by Leeshjo, its very mimimal. The current mayor, Tim Reed works for the SDSU Foundation so I think his view is that Brookings is a Jackrabbit town.
                          As another person who grew up in Brookings County, I agree.

To a person who grew up or lives within 30 minutes of Brookings (Elkton, Volga, Arlington, White, etc.), football saturdays can feel like a family reunion or small town celebration. Many people from those towns bank, shop, socialize, and go to church in Brookings. I would say every person in the county personally knows someone who works at SDSU. A ton of kids from those towns go to SDSU. You can't turn around in the tailgate lot without seeing a highschool classmate, banker, teacher, or farmer you know on a first name basis.

I would say SDSU has done a pretty nice job of weaving itself into the fabric of the county and city. Athletics can seem like support is less than great at times, but Brookings County has a relatively small population, and the majority of people can only afford to go to so many games. Football season tickets and 5-10 other athletic events throughout the course of the year seems to be about the breaking point for the average Jackrabbit fan, IMO. The average sports-fan in Brookings County, maybe 2 football games and 3-5 basketball games per year.

If the football team somehow manages to win 8 games, make the playoffs, and win a playoff game or two, look out. With the MVFC schedule aligning the following season, I think we could average 16,000 fans per game and 3000+ season ticket holders. With those kinds of numbers, businesses would fall in line very quickly, and soon after the entire city is yellow and blue on gameday.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

As others have stated here, the best judge for me of university - city relations are football Saturdays and I too have noticed that there is an energy about the city on game days.

The thing I would like to see more of is peripheral events coordinated between the school and city. On the Friday before football games, perhaps a city run event such as a concert or cookout or some other kind of main street event. I think there are possibilities that have not yet been realized and should start to develop as the average attendance increases past 13,000 per football game to steadily bigger numbers.

Here's to a beautiful fall Saturday and a Jackrabbit Football victory!
                            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              I think something that's developed, especially in maybe the past twenty years, is a sense of Brookings as a community that's something more than just a college town.

This is not to say it isn't a college town (it obviously is), but my perception of Brookings today is that it is a much more "balanced" community than it was a couple of decades ago. I think one byproduct of that is that the support for SDSU has actually increased within that community as it has grown larger, and grown from being totally dependent on SDSU to only being largely dependent on the school.

I think what I'm trying to say tht as a college town grows larger, there is a larger segment of the population that isn't directly related in any way to the college--this is a good thing (you have a larger immediate market) and a not-so-good thing (need to actually spend money to do real honest to goodness marketing, to bring in those residents who have no connection to the college).

SDSU may have been a bit slow to understand that they actually had to do that marketing, even in Brookings, but my perception is that this is changing.

Having said that, I think the support Brookings as a community shows for SDSU has always been very, very good.
                              filbert,

I agree and disagree with your thoughts. There needs to be more marketing done in the area. What is hard is how does it get paid for. Money is tight for everyone right now and that includes SDSU Athletics. You can spend thousands of dollars to get a small result and it is so hard to measure which source is effective.

Using low-cost marketing alternatives are great idea. There has very apparently been a big effort made to use social media and email campaigns to get the word out. That is the way to go. Emailing the Jackrabbit club or spreading the word on facebook and twitter gets the job done at a virtual no cost level. It may not be as "public" but it gets the job done.

As the "Jackrabbit Network" partners strengthen and being part of the network continues to improve then you will probably see the "public marketing" pick up.

Honestly, I think one of the best things we can do as fans is bring someone new to the games and let them see how fun it is. Once they have that experience they will want to be a part of it every week! We always have a few extra tickets and I try and use them for people that haven't been to a game in a while or its their first time.

You know most of the stuff I mentioned above, some on here may not know the high costs to produce and get ads into the media. I think we both agree that things are headed in the right direction.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Working...
                              X