Best new beer: Grain Belt Nordeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best new beer: Grain Belt Nordeast

Recently released Grain Belt Nordeast may have just moved to the top of my favorites list. Named after the Nordeast neighborhood in Minneapolis (near old Grain Belt Brewery), the beer is darker, like a Summit or Sam Adams, but not as hoppy like a Summit. (JackMD--this may top Shinerbock! -- I know, sounds like an exaggeration but you'll have to try it).

Sales have been so strong in Minneapolis that many liquor stores limit purchases to not more than a 12 pak.

It's available in SD!

Re: Best new beer: Grain Belt Nordeast

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Recently released Grain Belt Nordeast may have just moved to the top of my favorites list. Named after the Nordeast neighborhood in Minneapolis (near old Grain Belt Brewery), the beer is darker, like a Summit or Sam Adams, but not as hoppy like a Summit. (JackMD--this may top Shinerbock! -- I know, sounds like an exaggeration but you'll have to try it).

Sales have been so strong in Minneapolis that many liquor stores limit purchases to not more than a 12 pak.

It's available in SD!
    I really want to find this. Grain Belt Premium is a favorite of mine so I'm interested in this, I wonder if they have it in Pierre....

Comment

I was in New Ulm, MN last week and toured the Schell's brewery (where Grain Belt is now brewed). I tried the Schell's Stout and really really liked it.

From what my cousin said, I had a really good time in New Ulm! LOL
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Had Schell's Stout when it was their Snowstorm brew a few years ago. Was happy to discover on a brewery tour the following year that it was going to be part of their rotation. It's pretty good stuff.

Took me a couple sips of Nordeast to get into it, but it's pretty good, and a nice $7.50/six pack beer.

Comment

I was really surprised when I had it... usually you hear "Stout" you think of something that's so bitter and hoppy you go into a full-face pucker.

I was surprised... it's a heavy beer, but it's really, really smooth and rich. Kinda like Guiness without the burnt coffee flavor.
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
            I was really surprised when I had it... usually you hear "Stout" you think of something that's so bitter and hoppy you go into a full-face pucker.

I was surprised... it's a heavy beer, but it's really, really smooth and rich. Kinda like Guiness without the burnt coffee flavor.
            Burnt coffee flavor? Guinness is the stout by which all others shall be measured. It is the undisputed king of stouts. That said, I am now very interested in trying Nordeast. I'll talk to my guy and see if he can get me some.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I always have Guiness in my refrigerator. (Unfortunately,...) it's the stuff that keeps us Irish from taking over the world.

Grain Belt Nordeast isn't a stout...it's an ale and may just be at the top of what I generically call 'beer'.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                I always have Guiness in my refrigerator. (Unfortunately,...) it's the stuff that keeps us Irish from taking over the world.

Grain Belt Nordeast isn't a stout...it's an ale and may just be at the top of what I generically call 'beer'.
                There was a poster at the old Skelly's pub (you know, before they tripled the size and ruined it), that had this motto:

"No Irishman is drunk as long as he can cling to a single blade of grass and keep from flying off the face of the earth."

Comment

Tried Nordeast last week. Good stuff. Nothing fancy, just good beer. Nice retro design and a great tribute to a once proud neighborhood.

Comment

Ben's in Yankton had Elijah's Old Ale (I think that is what it was called) on draft for a while recently. Very nice beer done in the Belgian Abbey ale style, excellent beer and winner of SD homebrew competition.

Ben will have Rogue Dead Guy Ale (perhaps the best Ale ever made) on draft soon. I'm excited to say the least.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Nordeast is a worthy extension of the Grainbelt family. I purchased a Nordeast T-shirt when I was passing through New Ulm last month and ended up with some favorable comments while wearing the shirt in Sioux Falls. Fortunately, I still have a few bottles on hand because the Brookings Liquor Store was out of Nordeast last weekend and was not expecting more for two weeks.

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      Ben's in Yankton had Elijah's Old Ale (I think that is what it was called) on draft for a while recently. Very nice beer done in the Belgian Abbey ale style, excellent beer and winner of SD homebrew competition.
                      Check out the Brewer's Log at www.braubeer.com and scroll down to Feb. for more info on Elisha's Olde Ale. (FYI - Brau Brothers is the closest brewery to Brookings and beer fans should venture to Lucan to see a microbrewery in action.)

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
                        Nordeast is a worthy extension of the Grainbelt family. I purchased a Nordeast T-shirt when I was passing through New Ulm last month and ended up with some favorable comments while wearing the shirt in Sioux Falls. Fortunately, I still have a few bottles on hand because the Brookings Liquor Store was out of Nordeast last weekend and was not expecting more for two weeks.

Check out the Brewer's Log at www.braubeer.com and scroll down to Feb. for more info on Elisha's Olde Ale. (FYI - Brau Brothers is the closest brewery to Brookings and beer fans should venture to Lucan to see a microbrewery in action.)
                        Excellent link, thanks. I did not know all the details. It is a very good beer, strong and best enjoyed in smaller quantities (8-12 ounces). That is the reason I referred to is as the "Abbey Ale" style. Per the brewer it is an English Brown ale. If you have an opportunity, try it.

Comment

Having a 90 Schilling Ale from Odell Brewery out of Fort Collins, CO. Not bad. Reminds me of Summit Extra Pale Ale.

Comment

If anyone likes a good IPA, you definitely need to try the Bell's Two Hearted IPA. There is a bar near my house that serves it on tap. Whenever Mrs. Wilber and myself go out for an evening, a stop at that bar is required on our way home so I can enjoy one glass of this beer. Very hoppy and very crisp. If you like hoppy, flavorable beer, this is for you. It's my fav right now. Bell's Brewery is based out of Kalamazoo, MI and they sell throughout the midwest so it should be available at one of your bigger liquor shops. I'd link to their website, but all beer websites are apparently blocked here at the office.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Other excellent ales include:

Victory brewing companies HopDevil
                              Summit's IPA
                              Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale (best seasonal beer ever) and Big Foot Ale.
                              Spanish Peak's Black Dog Ale (coolest label)
                              Rogue's Dead Guy (still the best IMHO) and Skullsplitter Ale
                              Boulder's Hazed and Infused and Mojo IPA (not as good as the previous listed)

Comment

Working...
                              X