Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Books

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
    Just getting caught up on some of the non-sports talk, thought I'd add two new ones I just picked up.

John Feinstein - Next Man up: A Year behind the Lines in Today's NFL - I'm only four chapters in, but it's a good read. He followed the Baltimore Ravens for a year (starting Jan 1 2004) and was behind the scenes for everything. I'm a big fan of some of Feinstein's books. He covers sports in a different light. I saw someone mentioned they liked books about college sports, check out "A Civil War: Army vs. Navy" by Feinstein. Good Read.

Also picked up "Moneyball", but haven't started it yet. Anyone read it, got a review.
    I almost bought Feinstein's new book, Behind the Scenes at the Final Four (or something like that) this weekend, have you read that one?

Another i recommend for any golfers, Tin Cup Dreams : A Long Shot Makes it on the PGA Tour
    by Michael D'Antonio. Another great sports story.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979

Another i just read was "The Luckiest Man: The Life and Death of Lou Gerhig" by Jonathan Eig.  It's a great story as well about one of the real stars of baseball history.  As a lifelong Yankee fan I was really interested, but i think any sports fan would enjoy the book.  Some others i have read recently and enjoyed:
      Picked up "The Luckiest Man..." this weekend. Looking forward to reading it. Also picked up "Ceaser's Way" by Ceaser Millian. I'm a sucker for anything dog related, including dog psychology...if there is such a thing??? I wish my dog was normal, weighed less than 120 lbs and couldn't eat me if she wanted to....

Comment

Just finished Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. In case you missed the recent articles in the Argus, Sean Penn is directing the movie version which will be released next year. Part of the story takes place in Carthage, SD. I have been blessed to read some spectacular books over the years but this one grabbed me and wouldn't relent. Finished it in two days and wanted more. The story is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by 91rabbit
          Just finished Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.  In case you missed the recent articles in the Argus, Sean Penn is directing the movie version which will be released next year.  Part of the story takes place in Carthage, SD.    I have been blessed to read some spectacular books over the years but this one grabbed me and wouldn't relent.  Finished it in two days and wanted more.   The story is amazing.  
          Must have a lot of pictures in it if you got through it in 2 days. Oh, thats right, your job allows for a lot of downtime. I'll check it out when I have a chance. Just finishing In Cold Blood, which is just okay IMO. I trust things are well at Mayo.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I am currently reading a book called Collapse How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Jared Diamond. I must say this Book is pretty interesting so far and provides a lot of interesting aspects on past and present societies in the world. Right now I'm reading about the Easter Island Societies. Not a book one can read in one setting. It's a book that you gotta stop for a while and think this could happen to us.

Comment

jackmd: Actually I was on vacation (back today after 13 days) when I read the book. Now have started Mystic River by Dennis Lehane. Even if you have seen the movie, read the book. Congrats on the son. Took me three tries to get the first one as well. Remember, every girl needs a sister and every boy needs a brother!

Comment

more good news that despite having 2 girls, I actually have an outside chance at having a boy with child number 3. And a book recommendation on top of it. Good news all around.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Anybody got book suggestions to give as gifts for the holidays?

Not necessarily holiday related, just good books to give as gifts.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan

If you're looking for something a little different that will probably be a memorable gift, try "Consider the Lobster: And Other Essays" by David Foster Wallace. It's a book written by a guy who's probably a little off tilt. It was recommended on a blog by Paul Shirley (used to play hoops for a ton of different NBA teams) and I decided to give it a try. Worth the buy. Kind of a stream of consciousness type of book.

Otherwise, I'm just finishing "Friday Night Lights" by H.G. Bissinger. For whatever reason I hadn't read it until now. It is a bit dated now, but a great book for anyone who hasn't read it and especially those who are sports fans.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

Otherwise, I'm just finishing "Friday Night Lights" by H.G. Bissinger. For whatever reason I hadn't read it until now. It is a bit dated now, but a great book for anyone who hasn't read it and especially those who are sports fans.
                      I have read "Friday Night Lights" about 4 or 5 times, first time I read it was when I was a junior in high school. If you like the movie, read the book because the book goes more in depth into the life of people in Odessa.

Abother good book by H.G. Bissinger is "3 Nights in August", he follows around Tony La Russa for a three game series against the Chicago Cubs.

For Cubs fans, a very good book is "Cubs Nation" by Gene Wojehowski(sp?), he follows the Cubs for a year and has a different story for each game day. Very good read

Comment

I have not read the book but I plan too. "A Page In History". by Joe Kippley. Joe is a Brookings native and was a Page in congress during 9-11 attackts.

Here is the web site for anyone who wants to know more.

http://www.agenerationschallenge.com/index.htm

We...ARE...STATE!
                        SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by D-town
                          I have not read the book but I plan too.  "A Page In History". by Joe Kippley.  Joe is a Brookings native and was a Page in congress during 9-11 attackts.

Here is the web site for anyone who wants to know more.

http://www.agenerationschallenge.com/index.htm
                          Joe had a book signing at the Brookings basketball game on Tuesday. I purchased the book and had Joe sign it for my wife and I. Have not had achance to read it yet with everything going on around the Holidays.

Comment

For the irreverent in the crowd, a new one getting some attention:

The Real Animal House: The Awesomely Depraved Saga of the Fraternity That Inspired the Movie, by Chris Miller.

It the story about the Dartmouth College frat that Animal House was loosely based on.  Chris Miller, the author, claims to be the real "Pinto" -- that was his name in the frat.

A friend picked it up for airport reading and is having a laugh.  He's loaning it to me next.  

Animal House is the only movie I have watched three times in a theatre.  (Hey, I was a college kid and didn't know better.)

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan

It's a little late with the reply, but holidays are not cancelled for next year. This year as a gift I received a book on tape, 'The Innocent Man". by John Grisham. Grisham ordinarily is a fiction writer who many no doubt are familiar. In this book he takes on a true incident and puts it into a book. I started listening on a trip and could not sleep without finishing all six hours. Being lazy, I enjoy books on tape more so than reading.

Comment

This may have already been posted, but a book by SDSU alum, V.J. Smith, "The Richest Man in Town" is a great book.
                                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                                X