Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Books

Originally posted by 91rabbit
    Finally, something on this board that actually matters!    

1. The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science by Tom Bethell.  Meticulously researched to demolish all of the things the MSM tells you that just aren't true.
    2. The DaVinci Hoax by Carl Olson and Sandra Meisel.  Ditto as above.
    3. The New American Militarism by Andrew Bacevich. How and why Americans are seduced by war.  Bacevich is a West Point grad, Vietnam vet with a PhD in int'l relations currently on staff at Boston Univ.
    First one I will pick up.  2 others I can recommend:

1.  What's the Matter with Kansas by Thomas Frank, the conservatives on the board might be a little offended but its still worth the read.  No I am not a "lefty" and I liked it.
    2.  Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell.  It might help you understand the way you and others make decisions.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Can't believe I forgot probably my favorite book of all time, Tuesday's With Morrie by Mitch Albom.

And one for when I visit the in-laws, How To Talk To A Liberal (If You Must) by Ann Coutler.

Comment

OK, my Ann Coulter book story (I only have one, Ann's a bit over the top even for me . . . )

A while back I was in Ft. Lauderdale with my wife and my father- and mother-in-law, getting ready to board a cruise. My M-I-L came up to me, chortling and delighted, and led me to the back of the Holiday Inn Express where we were staying. She pointed to the fence across the alley behind the hotel, where some wag had spray-painted something like "President Bush Is A F---ing Idiot." My M-I-L was disappointed that my only reaction was to shrug and turn away, saying "well, I guess even vandals have freedom of speech."

Mid-way through the cruise, I found that the ship's library had Ann Coulter's "How To Talk To A Liberal . . . If You Must." Naturally, I made a point to hand it to my M-I-L later that day. Her reaction? "Ooh, I HATE that woman!!!"

Disclosure: I'm basically a "South Park Republican" (but no, I haven't read that book yet, either).
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
          OK, my Ann Coulter book story (I only have one, Ann's a bit over the top even for me . . . )
          Disclosure:  I'm basically a "South Park Republican" (but no, I haven't read that book yet, either).
          You can have Ann Coulter and her contemporaries.

How about the last couple of South Park episodes? Talk about laugh out loud.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
            [quote author=filbert link=1144800158/15#17 date=1145020665]OK, my Ann Coulter book story (I only have one, Ann's a bit over the top even for me . . . )
            Disclosure: I'm basically a "South Park Republican" (but no, I haven't read that book yet, either).
            Like I said, Ann's over the top even for me. Laura Ingram is more my style of right-wing pundit babe-hood, although she has her moments as well.

On the other hand, South Park just goes after everybody. I still remember how horrified some good friends were when S.P. aired the episode a few years back that said "F--- the rain forest". Their ox hadn't yet been gored by the show. I just laughed. If you haven't been offended by South Park at some point, you either don't watch, or you just don't care about anything.

I personally could happily live the rest of my life without seeing another Mr. Hanky episode, but you take the good with the bad.

You really couldn't tell from the latest SP episode who they were really going after--I think they're mainly going after their own network for not re-airing the episode where they mocked Scientology. Anyway, S.P. is high satire in the tradition of Jonathan Swift.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I will second Tuesday's With Morrie. Great book.

Other good ones I have enjoyed/are enjoying:
              1. Bald as I Wanna Be, Tony Kornheiser
              2. Pumping Irony, Tony Kornheiser
              3. Why my Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot, Mike Greenberg (I'm not married, but still funny as hell - really nothing about being married)

Those last three are comedy books - well worth it, IMO

Comment

I just finished reading Destroyer by C.J Cherryh... seventh book in the series.

I'm in the middle of reading "Night Watch" by Terry Pratchett. When I finish that, I'm moving onto "Homeward Bound" by Harry Turtledove. Unless I start another Pratchett book before that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                  I like the idea of new threads.  Just wondering what everyone's favorite books are or books that you are currently reading.

Here are my top 3 (in no particular order):

1.  A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.  If you ever had a best friend growing up, then read this book.

2.  Marley and Me by John Grogan.  If you own a dog and have read this book, you know what I'm talking about.

3.  The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.  Just a great, non-stop, action packed
                  book.  Pack some religion on top of that and you've got a good one.

A Prayer for Owen Meany is a great book.  John Irving is perhaps my favorite author.  IMHO A Widow for One Year is his best.

I enjoy Ann Coulter.  She is a bit of a bomb-thrower, but she is hilarious and to be honest I almost always agree with her.

The DaVinci Code is a good read.  I've watched some things on the History Channel and also read some articles that pretty well refute the "historical facts" presented  in the book.  It is a NOVEL and should be read as such.  

In any discussion of fiction I always recommend 4 books by Herman Wouk.   They are not new, but they are well worth the time.
                  1. The Winds of War
                  2. War and Remberance
                  3. The Hope
                  4. The Glory
                  An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
                  US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

3.  The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.  Just a great, non-stop, action packed
                    book.  Pack some religion on top of that and you've got a good one.[/quote]

Comment

I couldnt agree more with what you said about the da vinci code. It's a novel written about a theory. I think Christians are over-reacting over this.

Comment

Ann Coulter = the conservative answer to Margaret Cho and Janene Garofolo!
                        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
                          I couldnt agree more with what you said about the da vinci code.  It's a novel written about a theory.  I think Christians are over-reacting over this.  

What else is new? They almost always over-react! Go fig! :

BTW, Love the new site!

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
                            Ann Coulter = the conservative answer to Margaret Cho and Janene Garofolo!
                            Whhaaaaaaat?? Ann Coulter is educated. The other two are actors (I'm not saying they're un-educated, but c'mon!).

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                              [quote author=jackrabit1 link=1144800158/15#25 date=1145661050]Ann Coulter = the conservative answer to Margaret Cho and Janene Garofolo!
                              Whhaaaaaaat??  Ann Coulter is educated.  The other two are actors (I'm not saying they're un-educated, but c'mon!).
                              [/quote]

Insofar as they all say outrageous things... Liberals call Coulter a Nazi, Conservatives call Cho and Garofolo shrills... but do you really think anyone takes them seriously?
                              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by uncbearsfan
                                I couldnt agree more with what you said about the da vinci code.  It's a novel written about a theory.  I think Christians are over-reacting over this.  
                                Depend how you look at it:

Muslims riot over a cartoon of their prophet in a paper.

Christians discuss dissaproval to a fictional novel that puts forth theory of their God that contradicts everything they believe in.

Comment

Working...
                                X