Homebrewing Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Homebrewing Beer

I consider it a privilege to live in a country that celebrates by drinking beer and playing with explosives.

TAB, you are spot on about American wheat beer I would add most American pilsners to that opinion. Caribou Slobber? Interesting name. Is that a brown ale? Details please?
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Goon, you can check prices at Good Spirits, 41st & Minn, Sioux Falls. They have everything you need. Midwest Supplies (MPLS) has a very basic starter kit, minus bottles, kettle and ingrediants for $65. A good kettle will set you back $60-$100 but I've seen people start with a canning kettle and get good results. Collecting empty bottle is part of the fun. Take full bottle, empty it slowly, then rinse the bottle and save it to fill with new beer.
      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

TAB, I had similar bitterness issue with a new pale ale recipe using New Zealand Nelson Sauvin and German Tettnanger hops. I call it Hemispheres. Aging helped reduce hop bitterness, as did chilling. In the end though I reduced the first addition of hops (bittering) by 1/3 and got excellent result.

Have you considered partial mash as opposed to full grain? A 3 gal Gott cooler modified with a spigot and screen is all you need to start. You can make that for less than $50 or buy one modified for $75. It has made a big difference in my brews. Almost as much as a wort chiller.

Comment

Caribou Slobber is a brown ale...and it is a partial mash. I do like doing the partial vs just an extract.

As for the bitterness, it is not due to hops, but to the oranges. The orange flavor turned bitter...but letting it age a bit mellowed out the oranges. We did have another wit apiece, and they were a bit more on the bitter side...but not bad. I have a feeling it will be a beer we need to sit outside on a hot day and drink...will change how it tastes...if that makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
            Caribou Slobber is a brown ale...and it is a partial mash. I do like doing the partial vs just an extract.

As for the bitterness, it is not due to hops, but to the oranges. The orange flavor turned bitter...but letting it age a bit mellowed out the oranges. We did have another wit apiece, and they were a bit more on the bitter side...but not bad. I have a feeling it will be a beer we need to sit outside on a hot day and drink...will change how it tastes...if that makes any sense.
            I always find drinking a beer in the shower is a great way to get some great flavor out of most beers.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              I always find drinking a beer in the shower is a great way to get some great flavor out of most beers.
              This does not surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                This does not surprise me.
                Its also a great way to start the day too.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Its also a great way to start the day too.
                  You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Comment

Beer in the shower is not advisable. The beer could get watered down.

Caribou Slobber sounds like a Moose Drool clone. Should be tastey. If you like, an oat-brown partial mash, 5 gal batch, below. Let it age at least one month for a smooth, very malty ale with less roast astringency.

2 lb DME
                    5 lb pale malt
                    8 oz each oat malt, crystal 60, Biscuit malt and Marris Otter
                    10 oz crystal 120
                    4 oz Carafa II dehusked
                    1/2 oz Cascade - bittering
                    1 oz UK Kent golding at 20 min
                    1/2 oz Cascade - aroma
                    Wyeast 1318 London III

Comment

Awesome, thank you very much. I'll have to keep that recipe filed away until I go to Mpls next.

I bottled my raspberry wheat last night. The last bottle was not completely full so I cooled it off and drank it. Tasted like normal beer while drinking, and on exhale got the subtle note of raspberry. We were a bit concerned we did not put enough raspberries in the secondary, but that seemed pretty much perfect...the only downfall is we did not remove the seeds. I hope they drop when we put it in the fridge after a couple weeks...but I doubt it.

Comment

I have just about convinced my family to start this as a hobby. The girls in the family were less enthused then the guys but myself, dad, brother and brother in law would all go in on it. my cousins husband he does his own and we had a sampler of his last night for dinner, brown, red and amber ales and the lighter the drink the more hoppy they got. all in all it was fun trying um and just thinking about the possibilities.

I wonder how good a cider would be to make.

Comment

I have just about convinced my family to start this as a hobby. The girls in the family were less enthused then the guys but myself, dad, brother and brother in law would all go in on it. my cousins husband he does his own and we had a sampler of his last night for dinner, brown, red and amber ales and the lighter the drink the more hoppy they got. all in all it was fun trying um and just thinking about the possibilities.

I wonder how good a cider would be to make.
                          If they drink beer, I would look into doing a Belgian Wit, or a wheat beer w/raspberries (or other berry) as it will get them involved. If the women back the idea, it will only help you!

Comment

A little update for anybody interested. The Belgian Wit w/oranges is decent, but a bit bitter. It may be due to the oranges added to the secondary, but I am starting to think it is from the corriander. I had another beer last week with corriander, and it had the same bitterness. The raspberry wheat is excellent. I just finished the carbonation phase with the Caribou Slobber...and it is awesome. Close to a Moose Drool, but I think mine is a little more roasted, and also a bit more carbonated. Probably my favorite so far. I just finished bottling my Belgian Tripel...I believe that was about three months, if I am not mistaken. My wife and I tasted a small sample and it is quite smooth...and sits about 11-12%. Good times...but not planning on bringing it out for tailgating...too easy to get into trouble!

Comment

Hey TransAM Do you know this guy?

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/378018/

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                Hey TransAM Do you know this guy?

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/378018/
                                I do not. I'm not involved in the brewing club, so that limits the homebrewers I meet. Haven't seen a benefit the clubs provide that I would use. I am involved in a messageboard, and that seems to give me all the help I need.

Comment

Working...
                                X