Octoberfest Beers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octoberfest Beers

Stopped at my local beverage emporium last night and found that Widmer Okto is available again. IMHO the finest marzen style festival beer made in America.
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Re: Octoberfest Beers

I will polity disagree, FWIW I am of the opinion that Shells makes the best Oktoberfest beer. I was lucky enough to have it last night on draught for the first time @ Tailgaters in Brandon. I have drank many Marzen style beers and will continue to explore further. If I had to guess I have tried at lest 20, the Okto is very good and I would also suggest the Spaten. if you would like to further your Oktoberfest beer horizons I would suggest Old Chicago or HyVee liquor in Sf. It sounds to me like I would thoroughly enjoy sitting down with Prairiehaas for a beer! See you at the next game?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
      I will polity disagree, FWIW I am of the opinion that Shells makes the best Oktoberfest beer. I was lucky enough to have it last night on draught for the first time @ Tailgaters in Brandon. I have drank many Marzen style beers and will continue to explore further. If I had to guess I have tried at lest 20, the Okto is very good and I would also suggest the Spaten. if you would like to further your Oktoberfest beer horizons I would suggest Old Chicago or HyVee liquor in Sf. It sounds to me like I would thoroughly enjoy sitting down with Prairiehaas for a beer! See you at the next game?
      Cha-Ching! Shells is the best, IMO, too.

I think it was two years ago Granite City had one that was really, really good too. They must change up their Octoberfest beer recipe a little each year because it wasn't as good last year as it was two years ago. Looking forward to trying it again this year.

Sam Adam's is right up there too. I'll have to give the Widmer a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
        Stopped at my local beverage emporium last night and found that Widmer Okto is available again. IMHO the finest marzen style festival beer made in America.
        I love me some Okto. I need to try the Shell's, hmm I wonder if anywhere in Pierre has it??

Comment

Spaten Oktoberfest is the best one out there. It's a German beer. I've had Sam Adams' and Schells' and they're good, but not as good as Spaten.

I'm not a Spaten guy or even a beer 'snob', but that one was my favorite.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

One Oktoberfest beer that I would not recommend is Leinenkugels. I bought a 12 pack of it a week ago and am struggling to finish it off. Very disappointed, may have to go by one of the others listed to make up for it!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              Spaten Oktoberfest is the best one out there. It's a German beer. I've had Sam Adams' and Schells' and they're good, but not as good as Spaten.

I'm not a Spaten guy or even a beer 'snob', but that one was my favorite.
              I agree Spaten's version is better than the American microbrews. Had New Belgium's Hoptoberfest Friday evening, nice spin but not like a true marzen style lager, much hoppier which is, of course, their goal. I'd rank Spaten first, Schell's second and then the rest. I also agree that Leine's version is not good.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                I'd rank Spaten first, Schell's second and then the rest. I also agree that Leine's version is not good.
                My order is the same. I had never tried Oktoberfest beers until recently.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  My order is the same. I had never tried Oktoberfest beers until recently.
                  Marzen style lagers and for that matter lagers in general are good but I prefer ales when I'm having just a beer or two. If I'm tailgating and consuming 2 an hour for several hours than I go with the lager and of course Budweiser is the King or Beers. Life is too short to drink light beer but given the location of my homeland I am partial to Old Milwaukee Light (OML as we affectionately refer to it). Sorry for the thread drift, I can't help myself.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

My favorite is Ayinger. Had it for the first time on tap about two weeks ago. Its the best beer I've had in a long time.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Every Ayinger beer that I have had, I have thouroghly enjoyed. I will have to try their Oktoberfest. thank you for the recommendation!

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                        My favorite is Ayinger. Had it for the first time on tap about two weeks ago. Its the best beer I've had in a long time.
                        Where do you find the Ayinger at?

Not a fan of the New Belgium Hoptoberfest. Their best product by far is Fat Tire and after it finally got to South Dakota the love for that one even has fallen off.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                          Where do you find the Ayinger at?

Not a fan of the New Belgium Hoptoberfest. Their best product by far is Fat Tire and after it finally got to South Dakota the love for that one even has fallen off.
                          Minerva's has it on tap right now. In bottles, I buy it at Sid's or at Hy-Vee on 37th and Minnesota. The bottles are bigger, 16 oz. They come in singles.

It was phenomenal on tap. Not as good out of the bottle, but nothing ever is. Still very good however.

As for New Belgium, I agree the Hoptober was not good. I drink Fat Tire all the time. Its my go to beer for session drinking.
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                            I've heard nothing but good things about Ayinger which may bias my opinion when I have a chance to try it. Perhaps I should ask for a blind taste test?

Comment

I looked for Ayinger in the liquor store yesterday. I did find some Spaten though. I'll keep looking. Is Ayinger a hoppy beer?

Comment

Working...
                              X