Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we put the USD to MVFC issue to bed now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can we put the USD to MVFC issue to bed now?

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    I wasn't directing that comment at you specifically, and I am sorry that it may have came across as being pointed at you. It was more meant to the folks that are 100% against playing USD for something that happened years ago. I would venture to guess that many of the people that had any involvement in any type of abhorrent behavior have been cycled out of both schools. Most of our current players werent even in high school when the rivalry was at it's most embarrassing.

There is a part of me that hopes USD isn't in our conference and that both schools become powers in their respective conferences and then meet-up in the playoffs.
    I didn't think you were directing anything at me (and if you had, not a big deal). I think there are some who have actual hatred for opposing fans.

As far as people cycling out: I'm afraid that isn't the case. The subject matter of VJ's "Howlers" essay was fresh in mind because I was at a meeting two evenings ago when the very thing VJ writes about occurred. It doesn't upset me -- I did the courtesy laugh at the teasing and was a good sport (heaven forbid one react badly to being insulted!) but I thought that's exactly why I can't get excited about playing USD on a regular basis -- call it lack of interest.

I approve the separate conference idea and for now and the foreseeable future, that's the situation according to the Valley's commissioner.

The chimp is telling me to move on.

Comment

Maybe we could get NIck Punto to be the mediator for a USD/SDSU Peace Conference. If things don't go well, the two parties take Punto out back and take it out on him. There is nothing but a positive end no matter what happens! Is there?

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Thanks JackJD for referring to V. J. Smith's book and that particular chapter (one of my favorites), which cogently describes the problem that exists between SDSU and USD. It is an "institutional" difference, and while not every USD student/alum, or SDSU student/alum, fits neatly in the pattern, the pattern is, indeed, as VJ suggests, pervasive. As alumni director in my stint with SDSU, I developed my own description, which I won't share here, other than to say, I know the attitude when I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
          Thanks JackJD for referring to V. J. Smith's book and that particular chapter (one of my favorites), which cogently describes the problem that exists between SDSU and USD. It is an "institutional" difference, and while not every USD student/alum, or SDSU student/alum, fits neatly in the pattern, the pattern is, indeed, as VJ suggests, pervasive. As alumni director in my stint with SDSU, I developed my own description, which I won't share here, other than to say, I know the attitude when I see it.
          As someone who currently deals with administration at both institutions the pattern has not changed.

As the pattern pertains to athletic departments, I hope the search committee at USD brings in a fresh face, someone with no previous affiliation with USD. Nielson was great, I wish he would have stayed. They have an opportunity to find someone equally as good or better. I don't think they have that person in house right now.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by yotemeal View Post
            The book triggered my curiosity, but I have a significant back log of reads. I couldn't help but Google "Jackrabbit Tales" to gather a little more information. The description sounds fine until I get about a dozen paragraphs down.

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/index_alumni.aspx?sid=1108&gid=1&pgid=1343&cid=166 4&ecid=1664&ciid=3223&crid=0

Not exactly reaching for my Visa card, and really not sure what the chapter is all about. Perhaps I'll never know. This may or may not relate to the “howler” reference JackJD makes above, but I guess I'll never understand why people get so bent out of shape when a few SDSU/USD stereotypes are thrown around in jest. It's a two-way street. Farmers vs. Frat Boys. Who cares? I feel sorry for anyone ignorant enough to actually think both universities dont make great contributions to this state, nation and world. I obviously haven't read the book, but I already resent the proposition (and maybe JackJD is putting words into the author's mouth) that each fan base can neatly be contained under a specific mode of thinking.
            zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
              zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
              zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzback at youzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz

Comment

I have not posted at this site in a very, very long time, but this thread has really intrigued me. A couple of observations and comments.

First, the reasons USD wants in the MVC is because it is a highly competitive conference, it is within our region, and it is stable. Why would we not want in? If you think USD wants in the MVC because of SDSU you are very wrong. If SDSU was in the Big Sky right now an overwhelming majority of USD fans would still want USD in the MVC. It's just the best fit for us.

I have never heard of the book. I have no idea what the author is talking about when he references USD and I don't really care. What I know is the constant "little brother" references coming out of Jack fans is real old. You wonder why there is animosity. Read through many of your threads on this board, impartially, and get back to me on how many Jack fans come across.

As for obsession, another common theme on this board, compare the number of threads about USD here and how many threads the Yote board has about SDSU. There is a current one there because of the recent signing of the UND game but, for the most part, SDSU threads are very few.

Look, USD has a great football schedule next year. Does USD need SDSU? No. Would a USD/SDSU game be good for USD? Yes. It is a local game with LOTS of interest and it helps us fill out a schedule that has a lot of holes every year. But NEEDS the game? That's stretching a bit.

Coach Ed has a style that many of you fans don't like. I get that. Really, what he is doing is keeping these issues in the public eye. It's not his decision to make, we know that, he knows that. I don't think I've ever heard him say anything derogatory about SDSU, however, in fact, I've heard quite a few compliments out of him about the quality of your program and the quality of your coach. I guess I don't understand where the dislike for him comes from, other than his brash style.

Comment

The subject of this thread is the Valley's commissioner stating, unequivocably, that there have been no discussions on expansion. That statement should be compared to Coach Meirkort's comments. I took it a little further by noting that it was fine with me there was no USD in the known future of the Valley.

I understand why USD would want to be in the Valley. I'm not one who has ever claimed USD needs SDSU and I think USD doesn't need SDSU. USD is making its own way in DI. Sure, it makes sense for USD, from USD's perspective, to want to be in the Valley. I hope, however, they don't get in. They can play in a different sandbox.

The reference to VJ's book, which is available in Sioux Falls, Brookings, Watertown and other places (haven't seen it in Vermillion), is to give a little background on why I have the preference USD should be in a different conference. When one states a preference that we not play USD or, that we only schedule USD when it works for us, or that USD should be in a different conference even if we do play them, there are USD fans who want to challenge or seek an explanation for a personal preference. I offered the reference to VJ's book because it provides insight into why some SDSU fans may feel the way they do. It is something USD fans just don't get.

Incidently, I have no opinion on Coach Mierkort -- really don't care about him or what he says (don't confuse that with something negative-- it is neutral, it is indifference). I agree USD has put together a nice schedule but I'm not spending any time thinking about that, either. More indifference.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
                    As for obsession, another common theme on this board, compare the number of threads about USD here and how many threads the Yote board has about SDSU. There is a current one there because of the recent signing of the UND game but, for the most part, SDSU threads are very few.
                    You are implying that the Coyote board has 'threads'. That in itself is humorous.
                    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
                      If SDSU was in the Big Sky right now an overwhelming majority of USD fans would still want USD in the MVC. It's just the best fit for us.
                      Granted, this is all pure speculation, but I have my doubts that USD fans would rather be in the Summit & Valley than in the Big Sky, if that's where SDSU was at.

Comment

Actually, I think Nick Punto is a pretty good third baseman. That said, I don't think I'll spend any more time reading this thread. I think the point of it has been made.
                        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by yotemeal View Post
                          I guess I'll have to read the darn book. This must be something broader than my feeble mind has detected – complete institutional arrogance? I have very good friends who are very loyal SDSU supporters, and we're not afraid to engage in some friendly sparring. If one of my SDSU buddies calls me an ex-frat boy, pansy, liberal arts, greasy used car salesman, two-bit, blood-sucking ambulance chasing lawyer, a jest of which I’ve heard countless variations over happy hour, I’ll sarcastically ask that he refrain from stabbing me with his pitchfork, we cheers our beers, and then we go on talking about our mutual distaste for Nick Punto. Seriously. In this fantasy land of college sports fandom, the potshots, notwithstanding the tasteless antics of some students, are stupid and toothless. They don’t play in real life, at least not in my life. I don’t care to take the time to count how many times on this board USD is referenced as the needy little sibling or something to that effect. I think one could make an argument for arrogance there (in fact, I believe I have), but that’s just a bunch of message board bull****. We should be pooling our resources to confront real problems, like Nick Punto.
                          I picked up a copy of Jackrabbit Tales this morning. Also read the chapter called howlers.

To give you a clue, let me ask you what does your beloved mascot do when there is a full moon?

Comment

Why does the phrase "let sleeping dogs lie" come to mind?
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              I picked up a copy of Jackrabbit Tales this morning. Also read the chapter called howlers.

To give you a clue, let me ask you what does your beloved mascot do when there is a full moon?
                              Hunts down a JackRabbit and has a mid-night snack. What's your point?

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                                Hunts down a JackRabbit and has a mid-night snack. What's your point?
                                Wrong try again.

Comment

Working...
                                X