Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bison vs. Coyotes FB 2010

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Seems easy enough to understand. Or you just do not want to understand it.
    Ok...I understand what the sentence means. I just don't understand how scheduling a game against USD sacrifices all of NDSU's hard work. If all it takes is one game to sacrifice all of NDSU's hard work, they must not have worked very hard.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
      You can't just use one game as a measuring stick. How about the Cal Poly comparison. At least that game was played on the same field against the same opponent. Lets see what happens when UNI comes to Vermillion next year. That will be a bit better comparison. I am not gauranteeing victory but the game will likely play out alot different. USD was a better team this year than they were last but USD played UNI much closer last year. UNI probably played their best game against USD, and USD definately played their worst game. USD was a much better team at the end of the season like they should be as a 2nd year transitional program. If you want to start comparing USD is getting close to where the Jacks were when they had their infamous loss against UWL. USD is nowhere close to losing a game at home against that type of level program.

This year SDSU peaked at the beginning and late stages of the year but fell apart a bit towards the end. USD peaked at the end. Just in the last few weeks of the season the gap closed a bit more. I think SDSU has missed a huge opportunity to really hang a huge loss on the Coyotes and claim state dominance. 2008 or 2009 would have been the perfect timing for SDSU for the two programs to have played. In the first couple of years of SDSU's transition USD probably would have given the Jacks all they could handle and possibly defeated them. SDSU got alot better over the next 3 years. USD leveled out and possibly even declined. 2011 is actually better timing for USD to play the game than for SDSU. USD will get better between now and then but it's unlikely SDSU will get much better. I am not predicting a huge dropoff but it's gonna be tough to have much better of a year than the Jacks had this year. USD's all around talent level especially on defense got better this year. Two of USD's best receivers were freshman this year and the quarterback situation should resolve itself by 2011 as well. Remember everyone was also wondering if USD could ever replace Wes Beschorner but it didn't take long for that to happen. Replacing Logan has been a much more difficult task.

If a transition team must go into Fargo the Yotes timing isn't too bad either. NDSU is down right now so an early season game could be competitive. By comparing schedules and results USD played at least as well as NDSU did this year. Unless NDSU has a major resurgance next year it's unlikely that the Bison are gonna tag a one sided loss on the Yotes.

The Yotes didn't have a great year but the last two wins gave the Yotes a respectable year. They proved that they could play with and beat the California schools. If not for some very bad luck they would have beaten them both. NDSU fans are gonna throw the smack card and disrespect card toward the Yotes fans all year long but the Bison are not that great right now and can't just expect to win the game by merely showing up.
      Last I checked we played with UNI till the 4th, had SIU on the ropes till the 4th, played ok against SDSU, till USD plays those quality opponents week in and week out you CANNOT compare scores and say they played just as well. I know its tough to understand but the GWFC is NOT what it was when NDSU and SDSU were in it, 4 of the 5 teams ranked in the top 25 at one point, this year NONE, SUU was the only team never ranked
      BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Does anybody else wonder how we almost doubled average attendance while basically playing one old NCC rival in the last five years? Maybe the only people who really care about the old NCC rivalries are people like Stu who aren't really interested in SDSU athletics anyway.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Although the Bison have slipped into mediocrity (and are likely to stay there for for awhile) they should beat down down the Shepard-less Coyotes without much problem, no matter which pole barn the game is played in.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            Although the Bison have slipped into mediocrity (and are likely to stay there for for awhile)
            I am going to defer agreement until NDSU has a normal spring camp which they did not have this past year due to the flooding. I think coming into fall camp their coaching staff, had more work to do than their opponents who managed to get a spring camp in a normal fashion. Add to that all the off campus distractions. Also they seem to have more than their share of injuries so other than that they do have some great talent. I think NDSU is a long ways from being mediocare. Not making excuses for the Bison, but the talent is still there on their current roster. Gary Williams healty, is the WR we could have used this year.

Comment

Good deal for USD. It will be one of the biggest games of the year for the coyotes and a potential trap game for the bison. The sioux found out all about that with USF this year. I know, USD is a FCS team so its a little different in that a victory will count towards the 7 DI wins needed to be playoff eligible. However, I'm not one bit concerned that SDSU let an opportunity slip away. You make smart choices on the basis of smart analysis. Thus far SDSU and USD have chosen not to play FB. Who is too blame? No one. The game will happen when it works the best for all involved. Anyone who says otherwise isn't truly involved in the process.

Is USD at the level NDSU and SDSU where at the same point in transition? Man, that is a tough question to answer. I can't answer it with any easily substantiated facts so I guess I need more info. In reality, it doesn't matter. We know that SDSU made the playoffs in their 2nd year of eligibility. We know that NDSU would have made the playoffs two years ago and that SDSU handed them their only loss that season. We know that SDSU and NDSU both dominated USD the last 20 years of the NCC. We also know that UND and NDSU dominated the SD's in DII. SDSU has made major changes to its FB program, NDSU less major. USD has made changes. My opinion, coyotes are too inconsistent for me to say anything except that inconsistency is part of the transition process.

NDSU has gone from a big high to a big low. Next year the Jackrabbits play Delaware, NDSU, UNI, NU and SIU on the road. That my friends is not going to be easy. It's not just about wins and losses although it's mostly about wins or losses.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                I am going to defer agreement until NDSU has a normal spring camp which they did not have this past year due to the flooding. I think coming into fall camp their coaching staff, had more work to do than their opponents who managed to get a spring camp in a normal fashion. Add to that all the off campus distractions. Also they seem to have more than their share of injuries so other than that they do have some great talent. I think NDSU is a long ways from being mediocare. Not making excuses for the Bison, but the talent is still there on their current roster. Gary Williams healty, is the WR we could have used this year.
                You made a good point about the flood Nidaros, something I really haven't taken into consideration before.

Perhaps a normal spring camp coupled with a legally clean offseason could mean 2 more wins automatically than last year?? It's almost like we had the perfect storm occur to us between March and August.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBisonator View Post
                  You made a good point about the flood Nidaros, something I really haven't taken into consideration before.

Perhaps a normal spring camp coupled with a legally clean offseason could mean 2 more wins automatically than last year?? It's almost like we had the perfect storm occur to us between March and August.
                  The ground in Fargo was saturated from all the crying the previous November.
                  Last edited by 1bunnies; 12-06-2009, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                    The ground in Fargo was sturated from all the crying the previous November.
                    Sturated? Is that a German word?

http://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/sturated

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                      Although the Bison have slipped into mediocrity (and are likely to stay there for for awhile) they should beat down down the Shepard-less Coyotes without much problem, no matter which pole barn the game is played in.
                      4 years ago people were saying the exact same thing. Just replace Shepard with Beschorner in your statement and that is exactly what was said. Wes was just as good as Shepard. Beschorner headed the best offense in the Meierkort era.
                      How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

It's a portmanteau verbal that refers to Stu Whitney's opinion.

For instance, Bison recruiting has been sturated as more effective due to them playing on a carpet. The sturating for Coughlin suffers because there is no carpet there. Nagy is sturated as a terrible coach.

Comment

Does Sturgeon's Law apply anywhere here?

http://www.webster-dictionary.org/definition/sturated

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                            It's a portmanteau verbal that refers to Stu Whitney's opinion.

For instance, Bison recruiting has been sturated as more effective due to them playing on a carpet. The sturating for Coughlin suffers because there is no carpet there. Nagy is sturated as a terrible coach.
                            rep points almost given for use of the word "portmanteau" but at the last withheld, for using the word "verbal" when the word "word" (or even more correctly, no word at all) would have been more appropriate.

Now, someone needs to use "kerblasticate" and "sturate" in the same sentence . . .

(My mind wants to put an extra "r" in sturate to make it strurate . . . I don't know why . . . )
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

You ever mispelled a word. Oops. I forget, you are perfect.

Comment

In his latest column it was sturated that the kerblastification of the Bison by the Jacks in the Dakota Marker game was unnecessary.

Comment

Working...
                                X