Bison vs. Coyotes FB 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bison vs. Coyotes FB 2010

1. Bison need baby steps to get back on a competitive level against South Dakota competition.
    2. The only way this is a win for NDSU is if it's 56-7. NDSU is expected to win; a lackluster 20-10 win wouldn't be that much better than a loss.
    3. USD will declare victory by stepping on the field against either Jacks or NDSU. The score won't mean that much unless Coyotes win, so let NDSU be the sacrificial bison to get the inevitable Dakota ball rolling again. Then when Jacks whip the Coyotes on Resumption Day they can't claim a "we're on the same field again" consolation prize.
    4. Having said all this, Jacks eventually HAVE to play the three Dakota D-1 rivals. It would be financial malpractice not to. Two D-1AA football programs were shut down this week alone. These are three traditional, big-gate rivals within bus ride distances.

How many days until FB season?

Comment

so ndsu/sdsu sacrifice all their hard work for 1 game? revenue wise?
      ndsu doesnt need any of them revenue wise, ndsu gets 15,000 for a 3-8 team. ok, if this is in smack section, here's my smack, once NDSU/SDSU plays UXD's, all 4 teams get lumped into "one of those dakota teams" on a national level, thats the crying shame here, NDSU/SDSU stuck their necks out and paved the way for these followers and i think its bad business to just hand it back to them. Lets USD/UND die, like they are dying now.

Comment

Originally posted by CCdeville View Post
        ndsu doesnt need any of them revenue wise, ndsu gets 15,000 for a 3-8 team. ok, if this is in smack section, here's my smack, once NDSU/SDSU plays UXD's, all 4 teams get lumped into "one of those dakota teams" on a national level, thats the crying shame here, NDSU/SDSU stuck their necks out and paved the way for these followers and i think its bad business to just hand it back to them. Lets USD/UND die, like they are dying now.
        How are they dying?? trust me i'm no fan of UND but they have the same attendence now (which isn't great) but its far from dying, and Nationally FCS isn't that big on the radar anyways FCS fans are FCS and FBS fans, FBS fans are generally not FCS fans so what does it matter??
        BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

I don't think we have to worry about a national stage bringing confusion. SDSU beat perennial power UNI 24-14 this year. That same UNI team beat USD 66-7. People know the difference.

EDIT: In all seriousness, USD and UND are not dying. That's a really ridiculous statement. There biggest struggle is scheduling obviously, but both are in transition, suffered some serious lumps, but have also won some games against decent teams. A few more years under their respective belts and they will be fine. SDSU's perennial punching bags, much like the bison have become, but fine nonetheless.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

5000-7500 fans is dying. Losing to a NAIA and almost losing to a 2-6 NAIA team is dying. Getting desperate and having their ND lawmakers propose a law to force a game is dying. 2-14 (waldorf is a win) in basketball programs is dying. Enrollment fell behind NDSU for 3rd straight year. dying.

Comment

so ndsu/sdsu sacrifice all their hard work for 1 game?
              I don't understand this sentence.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                I don't think we have to worry about a national stage bringing confusion. SDSU beat perennial power UNI 24-14 this year. That same UNI team beat USD 66-7. People know the difference.

EDIT: In all seriousness, USD and UND are not dying. That's a really ridiculous statement. There biggest struggle is scheduling obviously, but both are in transition, suffered some serious lumps, but have also won some games against decent teams. A few more years under their respective belts and they will be fine. SDSU's perennial punching bags, much like the bison have become, but fine nonetheless.
                You can't just use one game as a measuring stick. How about the Cal Poly comparison. At least that game was played on the same field against the same opponent. Lets see what happens when UNI comes to Vermillion next year. That will be a bit better comparison. I am not gauranteeing victory but the game will likely play out alot different. USD was a better team this year than they were last but USD played UNI much closer last year. UNI probably played their best game against USD, and USD definately played their worst game. USD was a much better team at the end of the season like they should be as a 2nd year transitional program. If you want to start comparing USD is getting close to where the Jacks were when they had their infamous loss against UWL. USD is nowhere close to losing a game at home against that type of level program.

This year SDSU peaked at the beginning and late stages of the year but fell apart a bit towards the end. USD peaked at the end. Just in the last few weeks of the season the gap closed a bit more. I think SDSU has missed a huge opportunity to really hang a huge loss on the Coyotes and claim state dominance. 2008 or 2009 would have been the perfect timing for SDSU for the two programs to have played. In the first couple of years of SDSU's transition USD probably would have given the Jacks all they could handle and possibly defeated them. SDSU got alot better over the next 3 years. USD leveled out and possibly even declined. 2011 is actually better timing for USD to play the game than for SDSU. USD will get better between now and then but it's unlikely SDSU will get much better. I am not predicting a huge dropoff but it's gonna be tough to have much better of a year than the Jacks had this year. USD's all around talent level especially on defense got better this year. Two of USD's best receivers were freshman this year and the quarterback situation should resolve itself by 2011 as well. Remember everyone was also wondering if USD could ever replace Wes Beschorner but it didn't take long for that to happen. Replacing Logan has been a much more difficult task.

If a transition team must go into Fargo the Yotes timing isn't too bad either. NDSU is down right now so an early season game could be competitive. By comparing schedules and results USD played at least as well as NDSU did this year. Unless NDSU has a major resurgance next year it's unlikely that the Bison are gonna tag a one sided loss on the Yotes.

The Yotes didn't have a great year but the last two wins gave the Yotes a respectable year. They proved that they could play with and beat the California schools. If not for some very bad luck they would have beaten them both. NDSU fans are gonna throw the smack card and disrespect card toward the Yotes fans all year long but the Bison are not that great right now and can't just expect to win the game by merely showing up.
                How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

I don't understand all the angst here. It's a good game for USD. And it's a local opponent for NDSU. For those who are trying to pass judgment, you understand that SDSU is working on games with USD, right?
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    I don't understand all the angst here. It's a good game for USD. And it's a local opponent for NDSU. For those who are trying to pass judgment, you understand that SDSU is working on games with USD, right?

What he said. Rep. points for clarity.

Comment

This is an SDSU board. Don't care if NDSU draws 15,000 to play itself, TBHWY. And Dakotas will ALWAYS be lumped elsewhere. Bigger problem for BOTH North Dakota schools is its population base. SD has started to outgrow ND by a pretty good percentage advantage.

Comment

CF, write all you want it doesn't change the fact that you got beat down by a non-playoff UNI

UNI 66 - USD 7

You have a loooooooooooooooooooooong ways to go. Get respectable and then come talk about how close you are to our Playoff Jacks. We will end the year in the top 25 how about you? You want to talk smack take it to the Bison board.

Comment

I watched a couple of USD's games this year, and I saw improvement as the season went on. Sure, they were inconsistent (we were, too in our second year of transition.) Year three seems like the year our program turned a corner. We'll have to wait and see if that's the case for USD, too.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                            You can't just use one game as a measuring stick.
                            Yes, yes I can. Its a smack thread. I also said "in all honesty . . ." and said that USD will get better. Read a little.

I think SDSU has missed a huge opportunity to really hang a huge loss on the Coyotes and claim state dominance.
                            No, no we didn't. We will do that the first time we play.

2011 is actually better timing for USD to play the game than for SDSU. USD will get better between now and then but it's unlikely SDSU will get much better. I am not predicting a huge dropoff but it's gonna be tough to have much better of a year than the Jacks had this year.
                            The bolded is baseless. "Its unlikely SDSU will get much better." How do you know that? We just made the playoffs return a huge number of starters for next year, and in 2011 our best recruiting class we have ever had (signees of 2009) will be sophomores. Couple that with the outstanding underclassmen we have now and that looks awfully good to me. Furthermore, if we play in 2011, which I hope we do, we will be playing you at CAS - you won there in 2000. The only win at SDSU since 1987. Don't count on winning at CAS anytime soon.
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                              How are they dying?? trust me i'm no fan of UND but they have the same attendence now (which isn't great) but its far from dying, and Nationally FCS isn't that big on the radar anyways FCS fans are FCS and FBS fans, FBS fans are generally not FCS fans so what does it matter??

You ask how are they dying and then you say they have the same attendance now which isn't great. You answered your own question. By giving in and letting them play on the same field with us you are upping the gate for them but not for us. Right now NDSU fills the dome so by adding either of the two uxd's we gain nothing. If anything we lose for reasons already listed. So how does this benefit either of the XDSU's? Answer is it doesn't and the baggage that is the uxd's benefits. They know it and just won't or can't bring themselves to admit they need the XDSU's and it bugs the hell out of them that we don't need them and they know it's the truth. Personally I have enjoyed a great deal since the move up not having to deal with the garbage from up in Grand Forks coming to Fargo. I'd prefer it stay that way.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                                I don't understand this sentence.
                                Seems easy enough to understand. Or you just do not want to understand it.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X