Me Too U.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Me Too U.

yoteforever, I'm sorry about the comment to your wife. There was a bunch of that on both sides. That's why I don't miss the rivalry with USD as it got out of hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
      I suspect Mr. Abbott had more votes than anyone in USD's decisions (initially against, then for) going D-1. I also suspect that his years in politics running for elected offices, with mixed results, gave him thick enough skin to absorb jokes about Me Too U. (Us Too U?)
      President Chicoine made a similar joke about USD following SDSU into D1 at his inauguration and President Abbott laughed. Abbott is a good guy, smart and savvy. Maybe he was having a bad day or something. Who knows. The Jim Abbott I know isn't so imperious that he'd be offended by a silly joke at a roast. More likely (and I know his sense of humor a little bit from having worked with him on a political campaign) he'd be the one making a self-deprecating joke.

President Chicoine, likewise, wouldn't be bothered by jokes about SDSU. These guys are ahead of the game as far as understanding that SDSU and USD need to find ways to coexist. I wish everybody else could get there. Let's have a spirited competition on the playing field and elsewhere, but let's try to keep everything in context. We may be big fish here, but we're small potatoes in the greater scheme of things. So cooperation is probably a smart way for both to get what we need to thrive.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        President Chicoine made a similar joke about USD following SDSU into D1 at his inauguration and President Abbott laughed. Abbott is a good guy, smart and savvy. Maybe he was having a bad day or something. Who knows. The Jim Abbott I know isn't so imperious that he'd be offended by a silly joke at a roast. More likely (and I know his sense of humor a little bit from having worked with him on a political campaign) he'd be the one making a self-deprecating joke.

President Chicoine, likewise, wouldn't be bothered by jokes about SDSU. These guys are ahead of the game as far as understanding that SDSU and USD need to find ways to coexist. I wish everybody else could get there. Let's have a spirited competition on the playing field and elsewhere, but let's try to keep everything in context. We may be big fish here, but we're small potatoes in the greater scheme of things. So cooperation is probably a smart way for both to get what we need to thrive.
        There are people who can succeed in managing just about any kind of entity, be it for profit, non profit or an educational institution, and I think Jim Abbott is one of those people. I have never checked his educational background, but apparently he had enough to satisfy the BOR several years back. I believe Mr Abbott also ran a very successful business in Yankton before and maybe after trying his hand at politics. Politically, I have often wondered what would have happened if he had ran on the ticket of the majority party in SD. We might have had to deal with Governor Abbott instead of Governor Rounds.

I do think Jim Abbott has done a good job as head of the Extra Ordinary University.

Comment

I'm starting to get that "I feel dumber for having read this" feeling about this entire thread.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            I'm starting to get that "I feel dumber for having read this" feeling about this entire thread.
            And your post really adds to the thread...

(as does this one)
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I'm just going to go with M2U, I'm not getting much help from yous guys.

I came to my office the other day and my Jackrabbit pictures were covered with images of large red U's and some animal resembling a rabid dog colored red. Fortunately, one of the medical students witnessed the desecration and I was able to convince her to tell me who it was. It wasn't Dr. Abbott but I think he might have put this person up to it. I'll have to have my kids make some more Jackrabbit signs and bring them with me when I get over to Vermillion next time. I should be able to find someone to "decorate" Dr. Abbott's office for me.

I think he took it okay that night I just think he could have taken it a little better. It was clean, funny and factual. I think its that last part that has some fans of 2U upset.

As for this attitude that what is good for M2U athletics is good for SDSU athletics or this belief that were all South Dakotans and its somehow wrong to not cheer for one anothers athletic teams, I don't buy into either of those ideas.

Lock her down if you must.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                And your post really adds to the thread...

(as does this one)
                It's all about the atmospherics, isn't it?

I wasn't at the roast so I have no way of knowing the true intent of the statement, the audience's general reaction to it, or whether or not Abbott was dealing with a bit of gas at the moment, was off into his own thoughts and didn't hear it, or whatever.

And we know JackMD is among the more partisan Rabbit fans around here (if I may be so bold as to say so, Doc . . . ) so I automatically assume he reports things through that filter.

In short, I don't personally see how this is anything to get terribly worked up about one way or another. But that's just me personally . . . if you're having fun with it (or developing your righteous dudgeon, or whatever) then by all means play through.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  It's all about the atmospherics, isn't it?

I wasn't at the roast so I have no way of knowing the true intent of the statement, the audience's general reaction to it, or whether or not Abbott was dealing with a bit of gas at the moment, was off into his own thoughts and didn't hear it, or whatever.

And we know JackMD is among the more partisan Rabbit fans around here (if I may be so bold as to say so, Doc . . . ) so I automatically assume he reports things through that filter.

In short, I don't personally see how this is anything to get terribly worked up about one way or another. But that's just me personally . . . if you're having fun with it (or developing your righteous dudgeon, or whatever) then by all means play through.
                  Partisan is sometimes a good thing. I don't even know what dudgeon means. I admitted that it was reported through that filter. Myself and others have been having fun with it, sometimes at my expense. I will play through.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

How about going with their South Dakota's team reference and call them

Ufirst.
                    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Or we could go down the inspirational bracelet road

WDSDSUD

What Did SDSU Do
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                        I was there too. What a good game. Not as sweet as the one a week before at the Dome though.
                        Did they serve pie?

That game back in The Barn in '73 when Denny Womeldorf.... oh, never mind.....

Comment

drifting........

One of SDSU's legendary basketball players, Womeldorf (the "Worm") is a 1971 SDSU Pharmacy grad. The last games played in the Barn and the first games in Frost Arena: the 1972-73 season (Dave Thomas, Lee Colburn & a few of their buddies).

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            drifting........

One of SDSU's legendary basketball players, Womeldorf (the "Worm") is a 1971 SDSU Pharmacy grad. The last games played in the Barn and the first games in Frost Arena: the 1972-73 season (Dave Thomas, Lee Colburn & a few of their buddies).
                            still drifting...And a fine game I might add, Ron Wiblemo, Rich Garry and a freshman, George Schroeder played with Dave and Lee. This one was over 2 minutes into the game.

Comment

Driving south on Minnesota in Sioux Falls, there is an SDSU billboard with the familiar Yellow and Blue background with the campanile (like the ones at the mall, at the border, etc.) It says simply, "Follow the leader."

That has to make U. grads cringe every time they see it.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                                Driving south on Minnesota in Sioux Falls, there is an SDSU billboard with the familiar Yellow and Blue background with the campanile (like the ones at the mall, at the border, etc.) It says simply, "Follow the leader."

That has to make U. grads cringe every time they see it.
                                It would be sweet to have a mobile photo of that uploaded onto here. Very nice! I've always loved the one between Brandon and SF that says "Watch out for Jackrabbits!"

Good stuff!

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X