Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calling all the mamby pambies!

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
    Ha sorry I was slightly intoxicated when I posted that, it was negative rep I got and my drunk self found it funny.

Thanks for the best wishes. I have enjoyed my first year at SDSU a lot.

Edit: Yikes, my grammar blows.
    Weak! Now my post looks like I don't know what I'm talking about! Thanks a lot RO.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I think the SU's have learned pretty quickly a Summit League Tournament Championship and trip to the dance is just as meaningful if not more than a DII Championship! The naysayers were full of comments around we will never have another opportunity to win a National Title and I think we have found just playing on the biggest stage against the best competition is enough. Does anyone know if Jim Marking has made the transition?

Comment

I guess we can pull out some of these old chestnuts one more time. These are quotes made by USD coaches and administrators (mamby pambies?) in October of 2002 when they self-righteously announced that USD would remain in D-II and focus on academics:
        Chad Lavin, who was then the women's basketball coach: "It's pretty basic stuff - a school that moves up to Division IAA for football and Division I for everything else is telling all of its programs other than football that they'll never compete for a national championship ever again. If you believe otherwise, you don't know how things work at Division I."
        Dave Gottsleben, track coach, then and now: "It just didn't make sense to head that way. USD is primarily about academics. For this institution, putting that kind of emphasis on athletics would be a case of the tail wagging the dog. It would not be a good move for us athletically, academically or financially."
        There are a lot more comments llike these that could be dredged up from that infamous ceremony, which apparently was timed to raise doubt's about SDSU's expected move up (which hadn't been announced yet).
        I'll give Lavin some credit for sticking to his beliefs. He quit rather than take on the duty of coaching the USD women at the D-1 level. Gottsleben must have changed his mind. So, obviously, did a lot of other USD leaders.
        One of these days I'll have to go back and reread comments from the announcement of USD's flipflop and decision to go D-1.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          I guess we can pull out some of these old chestnuts one more time. These are quotes made by USD coaches and administrators (mamby pambies?) in October of 2002 when they self-righteously announced that USD would remain in D-II and focus on academics:
          Chad Lavin, who was then the women's basketball coach: "It's pretty basic stuff - a school that moves up to Division IAA for football and Division I for everything else is telling all of its programs other than football that they'll never compete for a national championship ever again. If you believe otherwise, you don't know how things work at Division I."
          Dave Gottsleben, track coach, then and now: "It just didn't make sense to head that way. USD is primarily about academics. For this institution, putting that kind of emphasis on athletics would be a case of the tail wagging the dog. It would not be a good move for us athletically, academically or financially."
          There are a lot more comments llike these that could be dredged up from that infamous ceremony, which apparently was timed to raise doubt's about SDSU's expected move up (which hadn't been announced yet).
          I'll give Lavin some credit for sticking to his beliefs. He quit rather than take on the duty of coaching the USD women at the D-1 level. Gottsleben must have changed his mind. So, obviously, did a lot of other USD leaders.
          One of these days I'll have to go back and reread comments from the announcement of USD's flipflop and decision to go D-1.
          Anyone watch the DII Woman's National Title Game the other day? It was horribly bad. Not taking anything away from Mankato, they just aren't as fun to watch as SDSU's Women. And they are National Champs. Just my two pennies worth.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            I think the SU's have learned pretty quickly a Summit League Tournament Championship and trip to the dance is just as meaningful if not more than a DII Championship! The naysayers were full of comments around we will never have another opportunity to win a National Title and I think we have found just playing on the biggest stage against the best competition is enough. Does anyone know if Jim Marking has made the transition?
            Jim was at the Summit League conference championship tourney, he has made the transition. In fact, he was even giving some of his own analysis of the women's team and his concerns about their fondness of the 3-point shot. Jim is a DI believer.......now.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by darkerstill View Post
              Anyone watch the DII Woman's National Title Game the other day? It was horribly bad. Not taking anything away from Mankato, they just aren't as fun to watch as SDSU's Women. And they are National Champs. Just my two pennies worth.
              What was so bad about it? I didn't watch it because I make a point to try to avoid womens basketball as much as possible, but wasn't it the highest scoring D2 womens championship game in history?

I guess no defense is technically "bad" but I'd rather watch a high scoring game, myself.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                Jim was at the Summit League conference championship tourney, he has made the transition. In fact, he was even giving some of his own analysis of the women's team and his concerns about their fondness of the 3-point shot. Jim is a DI believer.......now.
                Mike Hendricksen had Jim Marking on Sportsmax a few weeks back to discuss his 1959 Watertown State A champs, one I remember very vividly. The dialogue between Mike and Jim drifted to his career at SDSU, and Jim was pretty complimentary of everything. I know for a while he was very distrubed by the D1 move, but he is a very loyal guy towards SDSU. He and his wife set some record for consectative alumni donations. Jim even coached the Bruce Bees of Bruce SD, now defunct high school before he got the job at Hayti. I too respect Jim as he was a good of a coach as you can find. His players seemed to have nothing but respect for him. Jim has some funny Johny Johnson stories so I believe he loves to share that with most anyone.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 04-01-2009, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                  What was so bad about it? I didn't watch it because I make a point to try to avoid womens basketball as much as possible, but wasn't it the highest scoring D2 womens championship game in history?

I guess no defense is technically "bad" but I'd rather watch a high scoring game, myself.
                  No defense and they all looked like they were moving in slow motion. Yeah, it was high scoring but so is a middle school game played on 8 ft hoops. But I say again, I am horribly biased.

Comment

Working...
                  X