Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tuesday's Sports Headline

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
    Craig could not believe that no one had not signed on to be the GM for the Bengals since Kevin Kaesviharn was a Bengal. Apparently, Craig does not even follow the local pros, considering Kaesviharn had already left the Bengals to sign a FA deal with the Saints. I am neither a Bengal, nor Saint fan and I was aware of what team he was with. Again, just one of many mistakes I heard on the show.
    I just had a huge reply for this stating another example, but will make this one shorter...

What is even worse than this is, you could show Craig a roster of the Saints with Kaesviharn's name clearly printed and he will not believe it. If there is anything worse than having weak knowledge of sports in a sports career, it is to be so stubborn and not listen to anyone while you embarrass yourself.

Another story

Craig is going off about how bad former players are when they turn into coaches in the NBA. He specifically points out Magic Johnson and Larry Bird for their short runs as coaches. A guy calls in and tells him that for the most part he is right, but that Bird had taken the Pacers to the Finals one year. Craig comes back with, "Yeah, he had one good year. It wasn't enough to keep his job," and pretty much doesn't let the guy say anymore.

I get home and shoot off an email with Bird's total winning percentage in both the regular season and playoffs(68.7% and 61.5%, respectively). I also point out that they made the Conference Finals each year, including going to the NBA Finals his final year. He also took home "Coach of the Year" Honors. I then pointed out that the reason Larry wasn't coaching anymore was because of a heart problem and he was the one who made the decision to resign.

I then waited for the email back from Craig stating, "But he was a former player so he was a horrible coach. Not that I did my research." Of course, it has been 2 years and still nothing...

End Rant....

Comment

The bottom line: those guys are not very sharp and they enjoy causing a little controversy. I don't let Bozos like that rent space in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
        I just had a huge reply for this stating another example, but will make this one shorter...

What is even worse than this is, you could show Craig a roster of the Saints with Kaesviharn's name clearly printed and he will not believe it. If there is anything worse than having weak knowledge of sports in a sports career, it is to be so stubborn and not listen to anyone while you embarrass yourself.

Another story

Craig is going off about how bad former players are when they turn into coaches in the NBA. He specifically points out Magic Johnson and Larry Bird for their short runs as coaches. A guy calls in and tells him that for the most part he is right, but that Bird had taken the Pacers to the Finals one year. Craig comes back with, "Yeah, he had one good year. It wasn't enough to keep his job," and pretty much doesn't let the guy say anymore.

I get home and shoot off an email with Bird's total winning percentage in both the regular season and playoffs(68.7% and 61.5%, respectively). I also point out that they made the Conference Finals each year, including going to the NBA Finals his final year. He also took home "Coach of the Year" Honors. I then pointed out that the reason Larry wasn't coaching anymore was because of a heart problem and he was the one who made the decision to resign.

I then waited for the email back from Craig stating, "But he was a former player so he was a horrible coach. Not that I did my research." Of course, it has been 2 years and still nothing...

End Rant....

You're first problem may have been the fact you sent Craig an e-mail. I'm not sure if he's up on the new technology yet

Comment

Yeah, I'm too excited to go to bed now after the men's effort tonight, so I also wasted too much time on the story It sure was nice to see us come back after the past road trip.

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
            I may just have to listen a little tomorrow to fill everyone in on the advertisers!
            You go ahead and let us know. This is one time I won't take a bullet for the forum. I just get too pi**ed listening to them. Maybe I should and just take it as a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              If Sioux Falls area Jacks fans are really upset about what KWSN is saying about SDSU, there's something you can do:

Write letters to the station, and let the advertisers on the station know that you're not listening to KWSN any more, and why.

Money talks, especially when it's saying "no." KWSN may have forgotten, or may not understand, how many Jacks alumni, students and fans are in their coverage area. I would encourage all of you in the Sioux Falls area to educate them.

(Be polite, however. More flies with honey than with vinegar and all that.)
              Interesting idea, but I don't think there are enough people that would get involved to make it effective. I don't listen to the show much anymore either, but I would think the positive approach would be better and easier.

Have any of you ever dropped them an email when they have had someone on from SDSU saying "thank you", and telling them you enjoyed hearing from Stig, or any of the other coaches? Have you dropped them an email asking if SDSU has set their football schedule for next year? That is an innocent question that may lead to them having someone on to talk about it. Did any of you ever give positive feedback when the SDSU show used to be on each week? I don't feel like any of the radio stations I listen to owe me anything, with the possible exception of WNAX or KJJQ, since those are the flagship stations. I know I have tried as best I can to thank Brad and Scotty for their coverage of the Jacks. I can't listen to them as much as I would like, but they do a really nice job, and no one ever talks about how well they do. All I see is threads that complain about what we don't get. (By the way, I am guilty of that myself with my thoughts on a TV package.)

I also don't feel like any of the TV stations or newspapers owe us any coverage. That is why it is nice to see the job that Terry does, and although many of you will disagree, I think the Argus gives SDSU a lot more coverage than they ever have! Have you thanked KELO, or KDLT, or KSFY, or any of the stations in the Hills when they show highlights? Have you let the folks at the Argus know you appreciate the SDSU coverage?

Going to any business with a list of demands gets you nowhere, in my opinion. Suggesting what you like and making sure they know you will spend your money with them if they were to make a certain product available to you has a much better chance at working. It is the same if you go to a retail store, bar, or grain elevator. I would guess it is the same in radio, TV and newspapers.

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post
                Interesting idea, but I don't think there are enough people that would get involved to make it effective. I don't listen to the show much anymore either, but I would think the positive approach would be better and easier.

Have any of you ever dropped them an email when they have had someone on from SDSU saying "thank you", and telling them you enjoyed hearing from Stig, or any of the other coaches? Have you dropped them an email asking if SDSU has set their football schedule for next year? That is an innocent question that may lead to them having someone on to talk about it. Did any of you ever give positive feedback when the SDSU show used to be on each week? I don't feel like any of the radio stations I listen to owe me anything, with the possible exception of WNAX or KJJQ, since those are the flagship stations. I know I have tried as best I can to thank Brad and Scotty for their coverage of the Jacks. I can't listen to them as much as I would like, but they do a really nice job, and no one ever talks about how well they do. All I see is threads that complain about what we don't get. (By the way, I am guilty of that myself with my thoughts on a TV package.)

I also don't feel like any of the TV stations or newspapers owe us any coverage. That is why it is nice to see the job that Terry does, and although many of you will disagree, I think the Argus gives SDSU a lot more coverage than they ever have! Have you thanked KELO, or KDLT, or KSFY, or any of the stations in the Hills when they show highlights? Have you let the folks at the Argus know you appreciate the SDSU coverage?

Going to any business with a list of demands gets you nowhere, in my opinion. Suggesting what you like and making sure they know you will spend your money with them if they were to make a certain product available to you has a much better chance at working. It is the same if you go to a retail store, bar, or grain elevator. I would guess it is the same in radio, TV and newspapers.
                Well said, rep points for you!

Comment

Collegewatcher,
                  Yes I have indeed sent info to most of the media outlets indicating thanks for coverage when it has been done, and I also let places know when they have gone the other way. From feedback I have gotten, the complaints have more impact. I have been told in responses that they assume that for every complaint there are many others that feel the same way that the complainant expressed but did not take the time to contact them. Approval is indicated not by comments, but by sales, ratings, etc. Why do I still do both? Because as a parent, I want to know if my kid does something wrong so I can take corrective action. I also like to know when they do something right so that I can let the kid know that no corrective needs to be taken, i.e. reward good behavior. I assume that other people are the same about their kids and their jobs.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I wasn't able to listen to too much of the show, but these were some of the sponsors: Birds, Bucks and Berries (hunting lodge near Parker); Northern Plains Fitness; Little Ceasar's; Burger King; Crown Royal; and Nordstrom's Auto Recyclers. Hander Plumbing and Heating I believe was the sponsor of the weather report that was given during the show.
                    Last edited by trueblue; 12-14-2007, 10:53 PM. Reason: Forgot one thing from my list

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                      Collegewatcher,
                      Yes I have indeed sent info to most of the media outlets indicating thanks for coverage when it has been done, and I also let places know when they have gone the other way. From feedback I have gotten, the complaints have more impact. I have been told in responses that they assume that for every complaint there are many others that feel the same way that the complainant expressed but did not take the time to contact them. Approval is indicated not by comments, but by sales, ratings, etc. Why do I still do both? Because as a parent, I want to know if my kid does something wrong so I can take corrective action. I also like to know when they do something right so that I can let the kid know that no corrective needs to be taken, i.e. reward good behavior. I assume that other people are the same about their kids and their jobs.
                      Good for you, 1strow. That makes you the exception. I still believe positive works better than negative, but if that has not been your experience, then whatever works best for you is fine.

Sorry if I don't understand the kids analogy.

Also, just as a point of information, there are no ratings in Sioux Falls.

Comment

Working...
                      X