Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tuesday's Sports Headline

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
    " They all forget that it is only one game each year and that they are only doing it for the money." (said with a very sarcastic tone). Bob even tried to pull him back, but he couldn't. He then said that if SDSU played USD at Brookings, SDSU would make more money than what it will get in guarantees. I don't know if that is true, but I don't see how it impacts whether it is a good for SDSU to have these contracts."
    From all accounts I've heard SDSU is getting roughly 300k per guarantee game. It would take 20,000 tickets (roughly 3,500 more than record) at $15 per ticket (current prices $15 reserved, $12 GA I believe) for SDSU to just match the dollar amount of a guarantee paycheck.

Until Coughlin Alumni is renovated and seats are added or until the athletic department raises tickets to $20 each (and we still draw 15,000 fans) I don't see how any single home game will ever make more money than a gaurantee game does.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
      That will be the last time I listen to 1230 am after 3:00 again. I just hope I never get the chance to meet Craig in person, it may get ugly.

Go Jacks!!
      About 5'6" and 180 pounds is what you would be up against. Craig and Mike H. are not exactly athletic in their build. If either excelled at any sport I'd be suprised. That said, their build or athleticism does not discredit them one bit. What they have said about SDSU and the move to DI does. At least in my mind. Try KVHT at 3 pm weekdays.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm also disappointed by the small-mindedness of Craig and Bob when it comes to covering sports beyond Sioux Falls high schools. The solution might be to let them know what you think. Let them know there are a lot of SDSU fans out there, probably more than for any other college in their broadcast area. People can grow. Minds can be changed.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Jacks-02
          Would SDSU have to pay USD anything? I'm sure it wouldn't be much because there is no travel cost but it would be something. I guess SDSU has to use some of their guaranteed money to travel there but it's only a bus trip away.
          The main problem with the money talk is USD didn't want to play at Brookings without a home game in return. I think they wouldn't even move their home game to S.F. SDSU wouldn't make hardly any money with that game. Until USD would just travel to Brookings every year, this talk doesn't make sense.
          Let's see $300,000/year for an away game or an average of around $125,000 over 2 years playing USD.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
            From all accounts I've heard SDSU is getting roughly 300k per guarantee game. It would take 20,000 tickets (roughly 3,500 more than record) at $15 per ticket (current prices $15 reserved, $12 GA I believe) for SDSU to just match the dollar amount of a guarantee paycheck.

Until Coughlin Alumni is renovated and seats are added or until the athletic department raises tickets to $20 each (and we still draw 15,000 fans) I don't see how any single home game will ever make more money than a gaurantee game does.
            Bingo. I think your math is very correct. Craig really does not know what he is talking about.

Comment

If Sioux Falls area Jacks fans are really upset about what KWSN is saying about SDSU, there's something you can do:

Write letters to the station, and let the advertisers on the station know that you're not listening to KWSN any more, and why.

Money talks, especially when it's saying "no." KWSN may have forgotten, or may not understand, how many Jacks alumni, students and fans are in their coverage area. I would encourage all of you in the Sioux Falls area to educate them.

(Be polite, however. More flies with honey than with vinegar and all that.)
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I listen to both Craig and Bob and Jeff Couhlane..... both are pretty good with local sports, They talk more about USD then SDSU but both mention SDSU when the time comes... I remember that Craig and Bob or Mike or whoever talked to SDSU when they found out that the Gateway was approaching them..... I think that most people thought that USF vs Augie was going to be a big deal in Sioux Falls but lets be real... Augie doesn't have a tradition with sports and USF is having a down year

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  I also endorse Jeff Cullhane's show on KVHT. Get it over the net. He definitely "pimps" USD a lot but he is much more objective than Kevin and talks quite a bit about SDSU, DI FCS, and the Summit League.
                  Just heard today Jeff was leaving the station. Hate to see him go.

Comment

do you know where he is going? i know jeff very well and he is a great guy.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                      do you know where he is going? i know jeff very well and he is a great guy.
                      I hadn't heard this until today. Just a guess, he's joining Lane Grinel (sp?) with the Nebraska Husker radio network. Again, total guess on my part.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Heard tonight at the BB game he is going to Lincoln to work with Grindel. I think there has been an ownership change or something with Pinnacle Sports Network, but he is going to be the NU work.

Comment

In the 2 1/2 years I've lived in Yankton I've actually enjoyed tuning in to Jeff from time to time, which is tough to say given his affinity for USD. I didn't much care for the way he defended USD when they announced their DI move. But he's had quite a good afternoon show. I've heard him interview Stig quite a few times and others outside the USD sports world. Good luck to Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            If Sioux Falls area Jacks fans are really upset about what KWSN is saying about SDSU, there's something you can do:

Write letters to the station, and let the advertisers on the station know that you're not listening to KWSN any more, and why.

Money talks, especially when it's saying "no." KWSN may have forgotten, or may not understand, how many Jacks alumni, students and fans are in their coverage area. I would encourage all of you in the Sioux Falls area to educate them.

(Be polite, however. More flies with honey than with vinegar and all that.)
                            I agree with filbert but there is one logistics problem: if one quits listening to the station, how does one identify the advertisers? I have not listened to the show...can't pick up that station where I live. There is a local station, however, that I quit listening to years ago and, consequently, after a month, I couldn't guess who advertised on it!

I suppose a poster to this board who can take the abuse, could listen to the show and then post who the advertisers were. Good old grass-roots boycot action!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              I agree with filbert but there is one logistics problem: if one quits listening to the station, how does one identify the advertisers? I have not listened to the show...can't pick up that station where I live. There is a local station, however, that I quit listening to years ago and, consequently, after a month, I couldn't guess who advertised on it!

I suppose a poster to this board who can take the abuse, could listen to the show and then post who the advertisers were. Good old grass-roots boycot action!
                              Yup, that's how it works in this here new-fangled digital age of grass-roots activism.

Somebody takes one for the team, listens to the show, writes down the list of advertisers, and posts it somewhere (hmm...wonder where?) and the other posters and lurkers take it from there.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Count me in with the group who has quit listening to "Sports Talk." Mike H was not for the move, but neither were a number of Jacks fans. I would think he would have a hard time not admitting it has been a good thing. The reasons why I quit listening were Craig's rants against State, and their (he and Bob) lack of knowledge. As one point of evidence- prior to the NFL draft last spring they were looking for people to be GM's for each NFL team. Craig could not believe that no one had not signed on to be the GM for the Bengals since Kevin Kaesviharn was a Bengal. Apparently, Craig does not even follow the local pros, considering Kaesviharn had already left the Bengals to sign a FA deal with the Saints. I am neither a Bengal, nor Saint fan and I was aware of what team he was with. Again, just one of many mistakes I heard on the show. Why listen to people who are less informed than I am and on top of that not say anything good (ever) about the alma mater? They have the same stuck in the past mentality that you should not strive for something better. I may just have to listen a little tomorrow to fill everyone in on the advertisers!

Comment

Working...
                                X