NDSU vs SDSU vs UND vs USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU vs SDSU vs UND vs USD

Those that are critical of Vermillion and saying that no one would want to play in Vermillion may just be forgetting that Brookings as a town is not much better. Vermillion is probably also situated better than Brookings for population within 60 miles and for recruiting as well. SDSU will always have NDSU on the North and USD on the South to compete with. USD is going to have much of Western Iowa, much of Nebraska and to the west as well. USD has always gotten good players from Nebraska. It doesn't hurt that the Cornhuskers aren't much of a hotbed for hoops. That also goes for UNO, Chadron etc. The best program in that state is probably Nebraska-Kearney.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
      Those that are critical of Vermillion and saying that no one would want to play in Vermillion may just be forgetting that Brookings as a town is not much better. Vermillion is probably also situated better than Brookings for population within 60 miles and for recruiting as well. SDSU will always have NDSU on the North and USD on the South to compete with. USD is going to have much of Western Iowa, much of Nebraska and to the west as well. USD has always gotten good players from Nebraska. It doesn't hurt that the Cornhuskers aren't much of a hotbed for hoops. That also goes for UNO, Chadron etc. The best program in that state is probably Nebraska-Kearney.
      You guys have 1 guy on your basketball roster from Nebraska..... I don't think Nebraska is quite the hotbed for basketball... Also you have to realize this almost any athlete from Nebraska that is offered a scholarship to play at Nebraska is going to go to Nebraska and if they turn down nebraska it aint going to be for USD.... SDSU recruits Iowa pretty heavy already but I think they even have realized that its not a hot recruiting area they have expanded to Arizona and Texas and grabbed numerous recruits when its D-I its universal not just the 5 state area..... When it comes to instate recruits like you say I am from one of those towns with in 60 miles from Vermillion its pretty split on whether you are a Jackrabbit fan or a Coyote fan. The part that hurts Vermillion the worst is the town it doesn't have the economy to grow as a school. SDSU has a lot of jobs in the city of Brookings and in the area compared to Vermillion that has Wal-Mart and thats about it. Maybe I am saying this because I am bias but I think if I was being recruited by USD and SDSU the only way USD would win would be either because my family are Coyote fans or because I either want to be a Lawyer or a Med-student... Any other reason I would go to Brookings.

Comment

You have been drinking too much of that horrible water in Vermillion. There is absoltutely NO COMPARISON between Brookings and Vermin. There is also NO COMPARISON between USD and SDSU. SDSU and BROOKINGS are two of the most vibrant and expanding places in the state and the region.

Coyote_Fan, you have some pretty good reaches on this board but that post takes the cake! I'm happy you are so happy with USD and Vermillion. It just goes to show that if you don't look around to see what is out there in the world, you can be happy where you are no matter how bad it is!

Rather than congratulate the Jacks on quite possibly the best week in their athletic history, you choose to post this drivel. In a nutshell you have just proven why NDSU is now our rival and we have left USD way behind us in the rearview mirror.

NDSU = Class, Passion, Respect and Tradition
        USD = Disrespect, No respect, Jealousy, and Hatred

Easy choice for us! Enjoy transition hell you flea infested P. O. S.!!!! How is that football schedule coming for next year?

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I have no idea what you are basing your comparison on between Vermillion and Brookings. Even without the college, Brookings would be a vibrant community and has done an excellent job of employment development. Without Udot, what would Vermillion have? A Polaris parts plant, Mesaba and Wal-mart...

Comment

One factor that needs to be considered as well is that USD and UND are quite a bit further apart geographically than SDSU and NDSU are. What is it about a 3 hour difference in travel.

When it comes to conference affiliation all 4 U's or SU's didn't or don't have alot of choices for conference affiliation. It's pretty much the Summit League or Big Sky for all sports conferences. It seems like the remaining NCC teams didn't seem to have a problem getting into the NSIC (although that isn't a step up) and UNO didn't have much of a problem getting into the MIAA and it didn't appear they really had the room. IMO when it comes to the Summit League if they consider UND and USD good long term additions to their conference they will find away to get them in. If they don't find the schools good additions they will not allow them in. Even if the Summit League was only at 6 schools or if they were at 10 schools. If I were in a conference that was still finding an identity I would want good schools in it period. If you don't think USD and UND are worthy of the Summit than it's all irrelevant anyway. Of course nothing is a given but it's my opinion that within 3 years there is a 50% chance that the U's will be Summit League bound. It's about a 70% chance within the next 7 years. I would think on behalf of the Summit League Commissioner he is going to like that U label that each school brings and the ready made rivalries that would be rekindled in a moments notice. Some of the futher east or further south schools might have the biggest beef. I think the commissioner along with NDSU, SDSU and some of the closer schools will probably be enough to make it happen. I am sure that the Summit League might have taken a small peak at the Sporting News national ranking that had USD #1 in the country. Whether it's true or not (and probably not) but still the kind of thing that looks impressive to a growing conference. Some will say that NDSU and SDSU will vote no as a way to send a message of revenge or superiority to the U's but that also doesn't look good for the reputation of the school either. There could be some neutral people turned off by it. It's in the best interest of SDSU, NDSU, USD and UND if all 4 were in the Summit together.
            The difference with DII leagues and DI leagues is not so much a matter of who the league sees as valuable members to the conference, but rather has to balance a scale of splitting up the money from the NCAA's, conference membership in relation to keeping the auto bid for the mens tourney, scheduling issues, etc. As far as being valuable members, I don't see how USD or UND fits the bill on any argument aside from a small argument regarding easing scheduling for teams. However, I'm not sure that argument actually flies.

Adding the U teams means eliminating any ability to make the Dakota trip in one long weekend or 3 day midweek trip. 4 teams makes it impossible to have the games in one trip. Any team would have to split the games into multiple trips (2 at least) or be saddled with a 3 game (possibly 4 game) road trip that lasted at least one full week. No school is going to do that. Especially considering one of the main gripes about the State schools getting in was the added cost of travel. All smack aside, I'm not sure how adding the U schools strengthens the conference for another 10 years at least. Coyote_fan, let me know if my logic is wrong somewhere.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Vermillion has a Wal-Mart??? Woooo Hoooo that is big time baby. Maybe they can make this D-1 thing work afterall.

In order to meet the Vermillion building code, did they have to construct the Wal-Mart in sheet metal, like the Dakota Dump and trailer parks???
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

I am sure that the Summit League might have taken a small peak at the Sporting News national ranking that had USD #1 in the country. Whether it's true or not (and probably not) but still the kind of thing that looks impressive to a growing conference. Some will say that NDSU and SDSU will vote no as a way to send a message of revenge or superiority to the U's but that also doesn't look good for the reputation of the school either. There could be some neutral people turned off by it. It's in the best interest of SDSU, NDSU, USD and UND if all 4 were in the Summit together.
                You actually have something absolutely correct in that post Cyote_Fan! SDSU and NDSU will absolutely vote against adding USD and UND to the Summitt League. We will do it for all of the reasons you mentioned. Payback, revenge, retribution, and superiority all fit the bill.

USD is the school that burned the bridge that it now needs to cross!

Paybacks are a bitch!

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I think if you asked the Presidents of the Summit League, the Athletic Directors, and the men's basketball coaches who was #1 in a D-II poll, you'd get thirty variations of "I have no idea. Why should I care?"

Further, I think there would probably be today at least five votes against adding either USD or UND to the Summit League if you took a vote: Oakland, IPFW, IUPUI, Oral Roberts, and Centenary. These guys are already very concerned about travel problems and sharing revenue. They're the ones that will need serious convincing that adding USD/UND to the conference would benefit them.

I'd guess Southern Utah would probably vote yes, because frankly they're in the middle of nowhere anyway, although they may decide they don't need the additional competition in the conference after seeing what IPFW, NDSU, and SDSU did with the conference volleyball tournament, taking three of the four slots in their first year in the conference.

Not sure about Western Illinois or UMKC--wouldn't be surprised if they were yes votes, too (at least for USD) as they're bus-trip distance from Vermillion.

If I was USD I'd be worrying more about lobbying those five probable no votes in the Summit League. I think I'd probably be playing nice with the administration and the fans of your sister institution that's already in the conference, rather than continually going out of your way to irritate and alienate them even more than you already have.

Just a friendly suggestion.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Here is what it is going to take to get USD and UND in the Summit
                    1st the autobid will have to be in question
                    2nd Other teams that are eligible will have to turn it down
                    3rd. USD and UND will have to be doing things right both on and off the court
                    4th. USD and UND would have to be playoff eligible.

I just think all and all its not this slam dunk that USD makes it sound... is it possible yes but its not going to happen this year or next it will take 5 years for them even to look at USD and UND as possible candidates and then USD and UND will have to prove that they are worthy. I think that SDSU and NDSU would be open to it after USD and UND finished the transition because it would lower there travel distances and center the conference more... The ones USD and UND have to show are the IPFW, IUPUI, Oral Roberts, Western Illinois and Southern Utah... teams that are not going to want to go to the Dakota's twice a year.... You also have to remember that SDSU and NDSU were pretty good additions (NDSU had a mens team that had beat Wisconsin) (SDSU had a womens team that was pretty damn good and leading the NCAA in academics- which the conferences look at)

I think what USD needs to quit doing which annoys the crap out of me is when there coaches or AD personal go on the radio and say stuff like the Gateway wants us or the Summit is showing interest... I remember when SDSU was asked similar questions on the same radio station and they said that the conference was looking at the books and we expect a response on so and so date if they will vote on it..... The last thing a D-I conference football or basketball wants is a team that thinks they are better then everybody else.....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      Here is what it is going to take to get USD and UND in the Summit
                      1st the autobid will have to be in question
                      2nd Other teams that are eligible will have to turn it down
                      3rd. USD and UND will have to be doing things right both on and off the court
                      4th. USD and UND would have to be playoff eligible.

I just think all and all its not this slam dunk that USD makes it sound... is it possible yes but its not going to happen this year or next it will take 5 years for them even to look at USD and UND as possible candidates and then USD and UND will have to prove that they are worthy. I think that SDSU and NDSU would be open to it after USD and UND finished the transition because it would lower there travel distances and center the conference more... The ones USD and UND have to show are the IPFW, IUPUI, Oral Roberts, Western Illinois and Southern Utah... teams that are not going to want to go to the Dakota's twice a year.... You also have to remember that SDSU and NDSU were pretty good additions (NDSU had a mens team that had beat Wisconsin) (SDSU had a womens team that was pretty damn good and leading the NCAA in academics- which the conferences look at)

I think what USD needs to quit doing which annoys the crap out of me is when there coaches or AD personal go on the radio and say stuff like the Gateway wants us or the Summit is showing interest... I remember when SDSU was asked similar questions on the same radio station and they said that the conference was looking at the books and we expect a response on so and so date if they will vote on it..... The last thing a D-I conference football or basketball wants is a team that thinks they are better then everybody else.....

But it is nice to be able to compete well once in. All three, but especially SDSU have really been challenging in most of our sports.

Comment

I'm giving vermillion one thing out of this smack thread. Their airport is a little closer to them than Sioux Falls air port is to Brookings. Verm. can use either Sioux City or Sioux Falls. Other than that We will have to wait and see how this all pans out for the two U_D schools.
                        In the end i am still a die hard jacks fan!

Comment

Not a point worth dwelling on, but SF and SC airports are not much closer than a few miles since both airports are on the far ends of both cities for Vermilllion.

Comment

Which goes to prove the only good things to come out of USD are Highways 50 and 19!
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

The best part of going to Vermilllion is seeing the "Welcome to Vermilllion" sign in the rear view mirror...

Comment

http://media.www.volanteonline.com/m...87-page2.shtml...note it's two pages.

Article from Volante. So many smackable comments. This statement confuses me.

"In addition, USD must have the mandatory six wins to qualify for a bowl game. Nielsen said to look for a big time game in 2010, though, when the Coyotes should be in a position to play against such an opponent in football."

What the heck are they talking about. Do they think they can play in bowl game? Maybe I'm misunderstanding it.
                                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                                X