COMMENTS FROM DII/DIII/NAIA FANS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: COMMENTS FROM DII/DIII/NAIA FANS

YOu know I was doing some real soul searching lately between my hectic work schedule. We high powered execs just don't have much time but here goes a few thoughts. I was thinking about maybe the bsc would like to come to brookings so I decided to research the brookings.com web that I accessed off the sdsu web site.
    For culture it lists the SD Ag Heritage Museum. I do think that could be a deal sealer to bring both recruits and leagues your way. Just imagine the entertainment options avail. there. Forget girls - you can show an athlete that and his name is on the dotted line.
    For entertainment it lists Hicks Enterprises. Not sure what they do but it sure does sound fun!!!
    For resorts it doesn't list the Four Seaons or Hyatt hotels but rather the Danceland Campground. I wonder if they have better bathrooms than the Coughlin Dump you call a fb stadium.
    Finally they list the Western Estates and Twin Sombreros RV Park. Well, there goes my theory that you won't be able to recruit the minority athlete.
    This is what your own web site lists as big selling points to Brookings.
    I was impressed though that you have an Applebees. I will bet many a deal will be signed in there. Who knows maybe if you go "big time" and get conference affiliation then some of the real fancy restaurants like Fridays will come aboard.
    This is from Brookings.com web site. I didn't make any of this up. Maybe somehow when you are trying to convince the bsc to let you join just show them sioux falls and tell them that brookings is just like that. Maybe they will believe you. That is your best hope.

Comment

Next.

http://www.epodunk.com/top10/colleges/index.html

GREAT COLLEGE TOWNS

In our view, great college towns have a spark that comes not only from young blood, but from jazz clubs, literary events, book stores and cafes. They are intellectual, cultural and economic hubs, balancing tradition with new business growth. Often, they mix urban amenities and small-town charm.

TOP-RANKED COLLEGE TOWNS
      BY COMMUNITY SIZE
      BIG CITIES
      1 Boston-Cambridge, MA
      2 Minneapolis, MN
      3 Denver, CO
      4 Columbus, OH
      5 Seattle, WA
      6 Atlanta, GA
      7 Austin, TX
      8 Washington, DC
      9 Cincinnati, OH
      10 Saint Louis, MO

MEDIUM-SIZED CITIES
      1 Columbia, SC
      2 Tallahassee, FL
      3 Madison, WI
      4 Urbana-Champaign, IL
      5 Ann Arbor, MI
      6 Berkeley, CA
      7 Athens, GA
      8 Fort Collins, CO
      9 New Haven, CT
      10 Provo, UT

SMALL CITIES
      1 Charlottesville, VA
      2 Bozeman, MT
      3 Hays, KS
      4 Boulder, CO
      5 Missoula, MT
      6 Manhattan, KS
      7 Burlington, VT
      8 Bismarck, ND
      9 Iowa City, IA
      10 Chapel Hill, NC

TOWNS
      1 Hanover, NH
      2 Princeton, NJ
      3 Brookings, SD
      4 Middlebury, VT
      5 Durango, CO
      6 Bronxville, NY
      7 Menomonie, WI
      8 Oneonta, NY
      9 Rolla, MO
      10 Conway, SC

I'm going to keep bustin you with this, everytime you go there. Look Brookings is #3 in our class. 8) Omaha . . . not rated. So sad. :'(

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake
        YOu know I was doing some real soul searching lately between my hectic work schedule. We high powered execs just don't have much time but here goes a few thoughts. I was thinking about maybe the bsc would like to come to brookings so I decided to research the brookings.com web that I accessed off the sdsu web site.
        For culture it lists the SD Ag Heritage Museum. I do think that could be a deal sealer to bring both recruits and leagues your way. Just imagine the entertainment options avail. there. Forget girls - you can show an athlete that and his name is on the dotted line.
        For entertainment it lists Hicks Enterprises. Not sure what they do but it sure does sound fun!!!
        For resorts it doesn't list the Four Seaons or Hyatt hotels but rather the Danceland Campground. I wonder if they have better bathrooms than the Coughlin Dump you call a fb stadium.
        Finally they list the Western Estates and Twin Sombreros RV Park. Well, there goes my theory that you won't be able to recruit the minority athlete.
        This is what your own web site lists as big selling points to Brookings.
        I was impressed though that you have an Applebees. I will bet many a deal will be signed in there. Who knows maybe if you go "big time" and get conference affiliation then some of the real fancy restaurants like Fridays will come aboard.
        This is from Brookings.com web site. I didn't make any of this up. Maybe somehow when you are trying to convince the bsc to let you join just show them sioux falls and tell them that brookings is just like that. Maybe they will believe you. That is your best hope.

Comment

Big Jake. Smart Individual. He makes fun of Brookings for its Ag Heritage Museum. What he should look at is the University of Omaha. I attended my first 2 basketball games in UNO this spring. What a dump. Both nights the visitors (SDSU) nearly outnumbered UNO. Myself - I would rather look at antique tractors (Ag Heritage Museum) than attend a UNO athletic event. There's a lot more to watch and a lot more people to see at the Ag Heritage Museum.

Comment

RAbbit, Very eloquent description of what makes a great college town. Describes Austin, Tx and Iowa City, Iowa but just haven't seen the great cafes and bookstores of Brookings. But the campus itself is nice. Does have a little small town charm though. I have only been to Princeton NJ on that list and just can't see the comparison but maybe I am wrong.
            Jack 100 - You call our beloved sapp fieldhouse a dump. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We played Rockhurst here 2 years ago and I know their coaches a little. They were just raving about our facilities. Then we talked about how that compares to the miaa gyms (they aren't in miaa but play a lot of miaa teams)and they said very favorably to most. They said if we were in the miaa (which is a league of haves and have nots) we would be one of the haves.
            GRanted this is no Frost but other than the bleachers on one side it is a pretty nice gym. Also, great place to take a kid to game. Heck when you go to a big game at sdsu you have to get all crammed in there. At UNO I get there for every game right at tipoff and get a great seat. What a deal!!

Comment

bigjake,

You should know by know that I don't write that well.    That "elegant description" was writen by the folks who rated the college towns.  It sounds like you need to spend more time in Brookings if you haven't found the great cafe's or bookstores.  Maybe next trip take the early flight in from Omaha and spend more time looking around.  

I have seem most of the "arenas" of the MIAA being held up to them is not really that big of an accomplishment.  I would say your Rockhurst buddies may have sold you short.  NWMSU's gym is no better then Brooking High School's.  They have some great football stadiums but basketball facilities .  .  .  :-/

Speaking of the MIAA what is the latest talk from Omaha?  Folks here in MIAA country are still saying that UNO will be the next member (replacing UM-Rolla).

Comment

89 rabbit,  I think you are putting me on about cafes and bookstores.   But I can't refute the listings.  But I have been to brookings about 12 times in my life and have yet  to see them
                By the way I saw your post about hale arena.  I plan to attend that game and plan to mosey on up to the ticket counter the day of game and buy my ticket.  2500 tops there - in fact I would wager that I will get a ticket for 5 bucks outside the arena and if I am lucky someone will just give them to me. On a monday in january it might even be less than 2500
                By the way I suspect uno will stay in ncc and wait for 8th team.  But I give about 200 bucks a year in donations to them which as Bill Byrne would say doesn't put me into the "boosters of importance" category.  Therefore they don't tell me anything.  Actually since unc and ndsu are gone for fb and sdsu is gone for bb I would rather be in miaa but it probably won't happen.

Comment

You could very well be right about the crowd at Hale for the SDSU vs UMKC game.  You have far more experience attending UMKC games then I.

My concern for SDSU fans is not so much getting in, but where they might end up sitting.  I know would hate to be on one of the far wings. I also had it in my head that this was a Friday night game instead of a Monday night game, opps. :-[ 

Go State!  ;D

Comment

.....I was thinking about maybe the bsc would like to come to brookings so I decided to research the brookings.com web that I accessed off the sdsu web site.
                    For culture it lists the SD Ag Heritage Museum.  I do think that could be a deal sealer to bring both recruits and leagues your way.   Just imagine the entertainment options avail. there.  Forget girls - you can show an athlete that and his name is on the dotted line.  
                    This comes from a guy who thinks Omaha is great because:

1. Warren Buffet lives there (without his wife)

2. They have a river. (duh?)

3. They have steakhouses. (Fat Jake can recite the entire menu of every one of them).

Boy, that is quite a list! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

jack be stupid jack be duped,
                      Warren Buffet no longer has a wife - she died a couple of weeks ago. But then then that is expecting a lot of you to read a newspaper. By the way you are not in her estate so you will have to remain in your trailer for the time being.
                      I have only attended games at municipal auditorium so it will be a new experience being at hale. I know the louder fans will definitely be the sdsu fans. Many people go to umkc games with comp. tickets or else they are like me and staying in a nearby hotel and have absolutely nothing better to do than attend their games. Not a whole lot of intensity toward their team. They probably have 1500 hardcore bb fans whereas I would bet sdsu has 4000 hardcore fans
                      I did listen to the mike and whoever his partner is radio show yesterday for about an hour on media day. I thought it was funny when coach stig talked about being thin at rb and that your 2nd string back is unavailable. I think if memory serves me correctly that he was the guy with all the pot. Coach stig was very diplomatic bc I suspect that guy will be "unavailable" for a long time.

Comment

......Warren Buffet no longer has a wife - she died a couple of weeks ago. But then then that is expecting a lot of you to read a newspaper.........

.........I did listen to the mike and whoever his partner is radio show yesterday for about an hour on media day...........
                        Fat Jake:

Sorry I missed that, but unlike you, I don't spend all of my time reading and listening to every little detail of someone elses town and team just to get some fodder to sling around on this board. Mrs. Buffet obviously didn't make the news in the four newspapers I read regularly. (The Omaha World Herald is not one of them).

I did find a "BLOG" that will give Douglas Wiken a run for his (the governments) money:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1181338/posts

They don't seem to think much of the Buffet's. You are going to have to replace Warren as an Omaha attraction with this group! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

So, I guess, bigjake, JBNJBQ's first point - Warren Buffet lives there (without his wife) - would be correct. Or are you disputing that?

I mean, you think the Sapp Dump is a fine basketball facility. Clearly, your judgement is to be questioned. I thought we ought to find out just how far out there you really are.
                          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Well at least Big Jake admitted that nobody cares or that nobody attends UNO atheltic events - as you can still get a great seat even arriving at game time. Maybe that is why UNO is still DII - noone cares or attends their athletic events.

Comment

Hey FAT JAKE:

I don't know if this picture made it to the Omaha World Herald. It is a picture of the funeral procession from Mrs. Warren Buffet's funeral:

http://www.ahajokes.com/crt372.html

I guess everyone has been wrong, you can take it with you! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

There is a dearth of people at uno games bc we have other entertainment options. If all I had was Hicks Enterprises and the Ag Museum I would go to bb, fb, tennis, wrestling, equestrian and every other worthless activity including glee club, debate, etc bc there is NOTHING to do in your worthless town. Remember - south dakotans - we are a real city with options.
                                Jack Be STupid..... I believe that you do read 4 newspapers daily. If I were unemployed I would read that many also. Too bad you missed the buffet clip. But I suspect you only peruse the tv sections of each paper (you love mtv and anything that can get more info on the hilton girls)and the sports sections looking for anything possible about d1 expansion. By the way since you seem to have trouble understanding what you read we are having a presidential election - a guy named george bush is running against this guy named john kerrey. One is from Tx. and one is from Ma. Now if you run across their names you will know who they are. Now go back to that hilarious web site and find another really funny picture to insult me with.

Comment

Working...
                                X