Doane
    Dana
    SD Tech

SDSU vs NAIA schools this year - 4
    Mayville State
    Morningside
    Buena Vista
    Bellevue

Ya, and you're supposed to be D-I. Do you think Iowa would brag about playing four NAIA schools? The sad thing is those are about the only games you will be able to attend. ;D

Comment

Re: USD

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
      Sports_buff,

Read my post again.  The microsoft reference was an analogy.  I was using some literary freedom to make the point that SDSU is seeing the future for what it is.  In turn, USD refuses to believe that future is in fact a reality (thus the computer reference).  And I thought USD was supposed to be the liberal arts school of the two.  I think your English prof would be dissapointed.
      I was using your reference to show that USD is with the times and how well they are keeping up, since your analogy was used to show that they weren't. Being ranked as one of the most connected campuses in the U.S. shows just how much USD is thinking about the future. I should have known that all you State fans wouldn't catch on to that. You truely are hicks, but at least you are proud hicks. There is something to be said for that.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff
        Ya, and you're supposed to be D-I. Do you think Iowa would brag about playing four NAIA schools? The sad thing is those are about the only games you will be able to attend. ;D

How many patsies did USD's football team play this year? USD went 9-2 playing one of the softest schedules in DII. How many wins would they have had this year in the old NCC (SDSU, NDSU, & UNC)? 6-5 would have been their record. In the previous six years USD went a combined 4-13 against these 3 schools (vs SDSU 1-5, vs NDSU 1-5, & vs. UNC 2-3) and getting outscored 540-317. What makes me laugh is the sportswriters that were lauding USD's football team this year. Their new coach has not turned their program around yet - their schedule just was downgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by jack100

How many patsies did USD's football team play this year?  USD went 9-2 playing one of the softest schedules in DII.  How many wins would they have had this year in the old NCC (SDSU, NDSU, & UNC)?  6-5 would have been their record.  In the previous six years USD went a combined 4-13 against these 3 schools (vs SDSU 1-5, vs NDSU 1-5, & vs. UNC 2-3) and getting outscored 540-317.  What makes me laugh is the sportswriters that were lauding USD's football team this year.   Their new coach has not turned  their  program around yet -  their schedule just was downgraded.
          Their schedule was easier this year than in the past. However, the new coach has obviously improved the team. USD wasn't doing too well against any of the conference foes (except Augie) until the new coach was hired. They wouldn't have beat Mankato or St. Cloud had Austin still been there. SDSU wasn't doing that well in the NCC either. Hopefully you will have an easier go of it in I-AA.

Comment

actually, sdsu is in the reclassification process, so they are actually not in either division. They are more of a D2 at the moment, until next year I think. They had to fill in thier home schedule, and no d1 schools are going to come to brookings first. they then went to the lower levels. We dont count as a D1 opponent for the other D1 teams we play. The key is to check SDSU's USD's schedules next year to see how many NAIA and D2 teams are on the schedules.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo
               Yeah, keep bringing up that we are playing a bunch of Naia and DII schools at home for one year.  You guys will be doing that for a long time - not just this year.  

Comment

I take that back about what I said regarding those NAIA teams that SDSU scheduled at home. I just noticed by reading another thread that one of the D-I powers you have scheduled, UMKC, has already gotten beat by an NAIA school this year. Maybe those NAIA teams are going to be some of the better teams you play. I don't doubt it. A lot of D-I teams wouldn't fair to well in the NCC.

Comment

I think the short answer to Sports Buff's early comment about no knowing about some of the D-1 schools we're playing is this: Sports Buff, if you are not aware of those schools, you can simply turn on ESPN and see their names on the sports ticker. Yes, that's the same sports ticker that does not list any D-II or D-III schools.

Comment

but then one d1 opponent we play lost by 1 point to the #3 team in the country.

Comment

So if I want to see the D-I opponents that you play get beat by NAIA schools all I have to do is watch the bottom line of ESPN, thanks for the tip. I don't need to watch for scores of USD games since I'm able to attend them, being that they are all close by. I would be worried about that bottom line if my team was playing a thousand miles away every night.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff
                        I don't need to watch for scores of USD games since I'm able to attend them, being that they are all close by.  I would be worried about that bottom line if my team was playing a thousand miles away every night.
                        So I guess your point is Big Time programs use Airplanes and are on ESPN and little schools use Buses and maybe are on the local radio.  You would rather be little time, and be able to see all the games.  Nothing wrong with that.  I am sure Dakota State fans feel the same way you do.  I hear they are talking about moving up to D-II.  Maybe they can join the "New" NCC and be your new rivals.  They are even closer to Vermillion then Brookings is, how lucky for you.  

As for me I would rather Play Nebraska, Minnesota, Alabama, USC and the like, even if I have to listen to most of the away games.  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Why are you continuously posting on this board. We don't care about you, USD, or anything associated with either. You attend a school or support a school which is not advancing its athletics and you obviously have issues with that as you can't stop talking about the topic of advancement on this board. SDSU is a probationary D1 athletic school. USD is Division 2. Most of us agree with that situation, you obviously don't. The NCC is weaker than it was last year or and even weaker than two years ago. All of the previous are true statements in my mind. SDSU plays a weak D1 basketball schedule this year. USD plays a weaker D2 schedule. SDSU plays some teams that the casual basketball fan in SD is not familiar with (since your call name is sportsbuff i would assume you would know, "maybe regional sports fan of any team associated with USD" is a more suitable name). Those teams would beat any bball team in South Dakota. USD could probably beat SDSU in basketball this year. Over the past ten years SDSU has owned the major sports contests between the two schools. That ten years is over. SDSU has moved on, USD has dug in. USD is a good school. SDSU is a good school. Brookings is a great community, Vermillion is an armpit. All of the
                          preceding are true statements, deal with it, drive to Yankton, watch USD and Mount Marty play for the next fifty years and get on with your life. Have a great evening.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

So I guess your point is Big Time programs use Airplanes and are on ESPN and little schools use Buses and maybe are on the local radio.  You would rather be little time, and be able to see all the games.  Nothing wrong with that.  I am sure Dakota State fans feel the same way you do.  I hear they are talking about moving up to D-II.  Maybe they can join the "New" NCC and be your new rivals.  They are even closer to Vermillion then Brookings is, how lucky for you.  

As for me I would rather Play Nebraska, Minnesota, Alabama, USC and the like, even if I have to listen to most of the away games.  

Go State!  ;D
                            I don't think Dakota St. is going to join the NCC any time soon, but maybe they could schedule some of those D-I powers you are playing. It looks like they are an easy win for NAIA schools.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                              Why are you continuously posting on this board.  We don't care about you, USD, or anything associated with either.  You attend a school or support a school which is not advancing its athletics and you obviously have issues with that as you can't stop talking about the topic of advancement on this board.  SDSU is a probationary D1 athletic school.  USD is Division 2.  Most of us agree with that situation, you obviously don't.  The NCC  is weaker than it was last year or and even weaker than two years ago.  All of the previous are true statements in my mind. SDSU plays a weak D1 basketball schedule this year.  USD plays a weaker D2 schedule.  SDSU plays some teams that the casual basketball fan in SD is not familiar with (since your call name is sportsbuff i would assume you would know,  "maybe regional sports fan of any team associated with USD" is a more suitable name).  Those teams would beat any bball team in South Dakota.  USD could probably beat SDSU in basketball this year.  Over the past ten years SDSU has owned the major sports contests between the two schools.  That ten years is over.  SDSU has moved on, USD has dug in.  USD is a good school.  SDSU is a good school.  Brookings is a great community, Vermillion is an armpit.  All of the  
                              preceding are true statements, deal with it, drive to Yankton, watch USD and Mount Marty play for the next fifty years  and get on with your life.    Have a great evening.
                              Driving to Yankton to watch USD v. Mt. Marty would be too convenient. I rather drive all the way to KC to watch SDSU play a team that got beat by an NAIA school like Mt. Marty. Good evening to you as well.

Comment

I'm so embarrassed. I really showed my ignorance earlier tonight when I said that I hadn't heard of Tennessee St. I see they scored a big win in overtime tonight against powerhouse Trevecca Nazarene, an NAIA team that was 17-14 last year. Last year Tenn. St. whipped them by 2. It sounds like they have a big rivalry going on there. Tennessee St. would finish in the bottom half of the GPAC. For those of you that don't know the GPAC is the confence that Mt. Marty, USF, Morningside, ect. play in.

Comment

Working...
                                X