USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD

Perhaps I underestimated sports_buff, it appears he has recognized some errors in the tone of his first several posts. Much more substance in those that have followed. I'll take back the rage part but stick with the others.

The move to DI will involve many years of enduring games vs little known teams with no affiliation to our conference. This is much better then courting small schools, with limited budgets, who wish to cut scholarships and have much lower admission standards than us. This years schedule is just that, this years.

Competing at the DI championship level (notice I didn't say the opportunity to compete) is still years if not decades away for some sports at SDSU. However, this goal will be realized. The fact that the majority of SD citizens have a limited knowledge of life outside the NCC is not something to brag about or be proud of. Its just that attitude that may have prevented a lot of progress in our state. Progress (or in other words change) can be scary, especially if confidence is an issue. Clearly, sports_buff, you lack confidence in your fellow South Dakotans.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The reality of D-II is that the talent pool is slowly (soon to be quickly if the NCAA regulation lowering scholarship alotments is passed) detiorating. For one, I enjoyed my time in one of the premiere D-II conferences while playing in the NCC. I thoroughly enjoyed pounding on USD 4 out of the 5 years I played against them. However, I'm glad SDSU had the foresight to get out while the gettin was good. I wish USD also had such foresight because I grew up with the rivalry. However, they chose to fight it out with the Minnesota-Duluth's of the world for the now weak NCC.

Would UNO have been snubbed on their playoff birth last year if they had won the NCC with SDSU and NDSU still members? No way. The NCC (once one of the greatest D-II conferences in all sports) now has fallen to a middle tier conference. I am sad to admit that since I put some NCC honors on my resume.

Alas, the future is bright for SDSU because we bought Microsoft at $25 a share. USD is still trying to convince themselves that computers are a fad and will never catch on. So, ultimately, you can watch the Jacks grow into a team that people from across the country recognize or you can choose not to. Either way, SDSU's journey down the D-1 path will remain steadfast.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

In 2008-2009, SDSU will have a MUCH bigger chance at getting into the D1 basketball tournament.  Everyone that moves up goes through this probationary period.  It's not a punishment for just SDSU and NDSU.  If you'd rather play NAIA schools like Dana and Peru State in 2008, while we have a full d1 schedule, I guess that is your opinion.  I'd much rather play against mid major d1 teams like Butler, Manhattan, Wisconsin-Milwaukee(who is probably just as good as Marquette - You said only one of the next three teams are good) and have a chance to make it to the D1 tournament.  In time, we could(should) be playing the likes of Northern Iowa and Creighton on an annual basis.

Just think.
        SDSU vs Northern Iowa or any d1 oppenent for that matter will bring in much more revenue than a USD vs. their biggest rival.

Comment

By the way, UIC lost to Georgia Tech by one point already this year. They or UWMilwaukee will be in the big dance this year. UWMilwaukee was in the big dance two years ago, as was Butler. Manhattan made it to the second round by defeating Florida in last year's dance and almost knocked off Wake Forest. They were being touted as the Cinderella of last year's tourney before the second round loss.

UIC stands for University of Illinois-Chicago before you ask. We played them over the holiday weekend.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
            The reality of D-II is that the talent pool is slowly (soon to be quickly if the NCAA regulation lowering scholarship alotments is passed) detiorating.  For one, I enjoyed my time in one of the premiere D-II conferences while playing in the NCC.  I thoroughly enjoyed pounding on USD 4 out of the 5 years I played against them.  However, I'm glad SDSU had the foresight to get out while the gettin was good.  I wish USD also had such foresight because I grew up with the rivalry.  However, they chose to fight it out with the Minnesota-Duluth's of the world for the now weak NCC.  

Would UNO have been snubbed on their playoff birth last year if they had won the NCC with SDSU and NDSU still members?  No way.  The NCC (once one of the greatest D-II conferences in all sports) now has fallen to a middle tier conference.  I am sad to admit that since I put some NCC honors on my resume.  

Alas, the future is bright for SDSU because we bought Microsoft at $25 a share.  USD is still trying to convince themselves that computers are a fad and will never catch on.  So, ultimately, you can watch the Jacks grow into a team that people from across the country recognize or you can choose not to.  Either way, SDSU's journey down the D-1 path will remain steadfast.
            First of all your comment about USD thinking computers are just a fad is ridiculous. They weren't ranked as one of the top 10 Most Connected University's in the nation because they think computers are a fad.
            Obviously the NCC is weaker now than it used to be, and hence the resentment that a lot of people have towards the schools that left. Many feel that you are making a mistake and bringing other schools down in the process. As for now the NCC is still one of the best conferences in DII. I'm glad that USD chose to stay in DII so that I am able to still attend their games, home and away. Most of SDSU's games are across the country and the most of the home games are against NAIA teams or low level DII teams. A lot of the D-I teams they will be competing against wouldn't do that well in the NCC.
            In response to Jack, I don't think there is anything wrong with the progess of this State. You act like we've been held back and being exposed to schools like Tenn. St., Denver, and UMKC are really going to help us advance as a state. I wasn't bragging about not ever having heard of those schools, I was simply making the point that being a low level D-I school doesn't make you as famous as you think it does.

Comment

Sports_buff,

Read my post again. The microsoft reference was an analogy. I was using some literary freedom to make the point that SDSU is seeing the future for what it is. In turn, USD refuses to believe that future is in fact a reality (thus the computer reference). And I thought USD was supposed to be the liberal arts school of the two. I think your English prof would be dissapointed.

Comment

Sorry, but I'm still laughing at you taking my microsoft comment literally. Maybe you have to be a hick from the cow school to understand such subtleties as sarcasm, metaphors, similies and the like.

Comment

First of all, every d1 school we've played would roll through the ncc this year. Yeah, keep bringing up that we are playing a bunch of Naia and DII schools at home for one year. You guys will be doing that for a long time - not just this year.

That's werid that you are making fun of us for playing all these Naia schools. This year you are playing the same types of teams as us. Only difference is, next year you will still be playing these teams, while we are playing good teams.

USD(also on SDSU schedule)
                  Southwest Minnesota State
                  Wayne State
                  Morningside
                  Winona State
                  Concordia St. Paul
                  Upper Iowa

To counter, USD also will play the likes of Augustana, Dana, Doane, SD Tech while we play D1 mid major powers.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff
                    First of all your comment about USD thinking computers are just a fad is ridiculous.  They weren't ranked as one of the top 10 Most Connected University's in the nation because they think computers are a fad.

It was an a-n-a-l-o-g-y  Obviously your support for the "Ivy of the Plains" we assumed you would catch our fair friend in Milwaukee's drift.  Since you didn't, i will make it a little clearer, he meant we were forward-thinking in seeing the state of Division 2, and acting now, rather than waiting until the division and the NCC is more watered down and weaker than it already is.  His m-e-t-a-p-h-o-r, was that the people that bought Microsoft at $25 a share were forward thinkers as well and benefited greatly.  

While i was typing this a number of people already beat me to the punch. Golly gee we are stupid hicks here at SDSU. Yee haw. ;D
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Dang, i forgot to mention him taking that serious too. You beat me to it.

Comment

USD vs NAIA schools this year - 5
                        William Penn
                        Morningside
                        Doane
                        Dana
                        SD Tech

SDSU vs NAIA schools this year - 4
                        Mayville State
                        Morningside
                        Buena Vista
                        Bellevue

Comment

I don't know if I'd waste a lot of time on sports_buff. It's obvious he is very young and doesn't quite have a grasp of things.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo
                            USD vs NAIA schools this year - 5
                            William Penn
                            Morningside
                            Doane
                            Dana
                            SD Tech

SDSU vs NAIA schools this year - 4
                            Mayville State
                            Morningside
                            Buena Vista
                            Bellevue

SDSU vs NCAA D-I schools - 14

Butler
                            Manhattan
                            Illinios-Chicago
                            Wisconsin-Milwaukee
                            Southeast Missouri St.
                            Marquette
                            Denver
                            Tennessee St.
                            San Diego St.
                            North Dakota St.
                            Missouri-Kansas City
                            Arkansas St.
                            Colorado
                            Central Florida

USD vs NCAA D-I schools - 0

- Crickets chirping -

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                              I don't know if I'd waste a lot of time on sports_buff.  It's obvious he is very young and doesn't quite have a grasp of things.  
                              I was gonna guess his age at about 15 after his first couple of posts, then I started thinking he might be closer to 19 and a typical USD lower classmen. Now I am back to the high school age group. I suspect he is a Sioux Falls teenager who has been reading and posting on the Argus Forum and eventually found his way here.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

I was gonna guess his age at about 15 after his first couple of posts, then I started thinking he might be closer to 19 and a typical USD lower classmen.  Now I am back to the high school age group.  I suspect he is a Sioux Falls teenager who has been reading and posting on the Argus Forum and eventually found his way here.
                                Kind of funny that a 15 year old was able to get you so riled up. In fact earlier you were comparing me to a school yard bully because I was picking on you so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X