Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hard times at SD's largest D-II University

Originally posted by sports_buff

Hopefully nobody brings up the dead coyotes that have been thrown on the floor over the years and the full page newspaper ads saying Osama Bin Mueller. People might think SDSU fans made it about hate.
    Just so you know it was tough for us USD fans to watch our older brother get picked on by NAIA teams this year. All brothers hate to see their older brothers lose the strength and power that they once had. We were starting to see that in your last year in DII and now it has just gotten worse. I just hope our younger brother, Augie, doesn't overtake us like your younger brother has.
    Of course, as always you are focusing on the only thing you can, which is State's 04-05 Men's Basketball team - which was dealt some unfortunate blows by a few players who couldn't handle going Division I. Nagy will bring us back around. If you seriously think USD has ever or will ever have a more accomplished program than State, then you're nothing more that a short-sigthed homer.

As for the childishness at games - at least in Brookings, its relegated to a small part of the student section. Its EVERYWHERE in the Dakota Dome. I have been threatened with violence several times - for doing NOTHING but cheering for my team the entire game.

But, I digress. I will never have to experience that again. We've moved on up...to a DEEELUXE apartment...in the sky-eye-eye.

Seriously, have fun with Augie. Marsha Marsha Marsha!

Comment

I heard an ad the other day on the radio promoting USD's fund raising event in Sioux Falls. It ended by saying the "University of South Dakota South Dakota's team where everyone plays". Sounds like a tag line for a youth or intramural league.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
        I heard an ad the other day on the radio promoting USD's fund raising event in Sioux Falls. It ended by saying the "University of South Dakota South Dakota's team where everyone plays". Sounds like a tag line for a youth or intramural league.
        You have to give USD credit for trying. However, they're doomed and they know it. SDSU is in "big-time" athletics from here on out, and USD is in D-II. USD will slowly see its newspaper space and TV sportscast time shrink as SDSU's D-I programs ramp up and play the likes of the Gophers, Hawkeyes, and Huskers on a regular basis.

To some extent, the increase in SDSU coverage will be driven by out-of-town sports reporters coming to Brookings/Sioux Falls to cover their teams. These folks have no dog in the SDSU-USD-Augie-USF-etc. fight. But, they'll be sitting beside their Argus or KELO counterparts at the SDSU games and saying things like "why did this USD-Nebraska-Kearney game story get written up in your paper just as big as the SDSU-Alabama game did?"

Unless USD somehow figures out how to pay for D-I, in the coming years, stories about the Coyotes will increasingly appear below-the-fold, on page two, or in the "in other area sports . . . " segment of the 6 and 10 pm newscasts. USD fans will howl, of course but reality is hard, and the reality is that SDSU is D-I and USD is D-II.

The whole "South Dakota's Team" ad campaign is just whistling past the graveyard. No smack here, just reality.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert

USD will slowly see its newspaper space and TV sportscast time shrink as SDSU's D-I programs ramp up and play the likes of the Gophers, Hawkeyes, and  

Unless USD somehow figures out how to pay for D-I, in the coming years, stories about the Coyotes will increasingly appear below-the-fold, on page two, or in the "in other area sports . . . " segment of the 6 and 10 pm newscasts.  USD fans will howl, of course but reality is hard, and the reality is that SDSU is D-I and USD is D-II.
          Hopefully this does happen.  Many State fans I talk to, including people on this board, feel the media is biased in favor of USD.  I haven't really noticed that, but if it truely is the case then USD's coverage may never go away.
          SD media isn't used to having a DI team to report on, hopefully they figure out that it should get more coverage than the DII teams.

Comment

The Argus has said it will cover SDSU as a DI program. They have assigned a reporter to the SDSU beat at considerable travel expense. They still cover USD and have a beat reporter assigned there and that's fine. That's a lot less expensive for them. Mick never has to go to California to cover a game like Chris does. Really all you can ask for is a commitment from your local media to expend some of its relatively meager resources on us and I think we have that. Keep in mind that the big, bad Argus Leader has something like five guys on its sports staff.

I do agree that, over time, there will be some shifts of perception in South Dakota that will ultimately be reflected by media coverage as SDSU becomes increasingly competitive at the DI level and has more games against big-time opponents.

Comment

You almost get the feeling that many of the Sioux Falls media (print, television,radio) think SDSU is just flirting with DI and at some point will come to their senses and go back to where they belong and that is competing with the likes of Augie and USD. How dare a school in the state of South Dakota venture out and try to compete with the likes of some of the areas esstablished DI programs. I think reality will begin to settle in when they see the Jacks continue to improve and start competing with the Minnesota's Nebraska's etc. garnering big crowds and excitement and state pride never seen before. A few years ago the heralded Sioux Falls Roosevelt girls basketball team had an opportunity to go out and play a number of perennial national powers in a Oregon tournament. It took practically an act of the legislature to grant permission for them to take part. Again it was the old theme from many "who do they think they are" and lets treat everyone the same. Not only did Roosevelt compete but they won the tournament. I'm not a fan of Fred Tibbitts but I do give him credit for bucking the status quo and pushing for the opportunity to allow his team to compete at the highest level. Change seems to be so hard for the state of South Dakota. Look at things like finally adding a state football playoff system(took a players father to sue the state, moving womens basketball to the fall so they could better compete for scholarships with other states and now simpy adding a 20th game to the basketball season. All of things were and are being bitterly fought because it represents change.

Comment

Working...
              X