Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hard times at SD's largest D-II University

Originally posted by 89rabbit
    That is too bad for Pat.  I hope he can get his personal affairs into order, and get his life back on track.

Smack board!! There may be a better place to express your concerns for his personal affairs. Maybe a phone call or an e-mail.

A little light-hearted disdain for a USD alum shouldn't be taken with too much offense. I won't feel sorry for a guy who gives into urges such as alcohol and drug abuse and then sexually harasses co-workers. Maybe its a character issue for some, maybe others have a fear of conflict (I suspect this is the case). Call a spade a spade, life is a lot easier. Pat screwed up and he needs to fix it. Your pity won't help him one bit.

Try to laugh a little, even if its at the expense of another person.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I know usd and the S.F. Canaries have been planning a Pat O'brien bobble head night for some time now.  With the Canaries new management and their nitch for poking fun at news worthy sports situations (ie.  Randy Moss afro night when there's a full moon and a special night where they'll be serving beer and drinks in pee cups) maybe they could change this night up a little as well.  Maybe a Pat O'brien bobblehead, a free pass to Scarlets Gentlemens Club and a free beer too  

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
        I know usd and the S.F. Canaries have been planning a Pat O'brien bobble head night for some time now.  With the Canaries new management and their nitch for poking fun at news worthy sports situations (ie.  Randy Moss afro night when there's a full moon and a special night where they'll be serving beer and drinks in pee cups) maybe they could change this night up a little as well.  Maybe a Pat O'brien bobblehead, a free pass to Scarlets Gentlemens Club and a free beer too  
        Count me in!! Oh the memories of Scarlets. Bumped into Dennis Rodman in that fine establishment. (I believe he was in town for some WWF thing).

I also remember some creepy guy with a mustache and a USD cap hanging out in the corner. He was always wasted and sniffled a lot. He use to mutter, "I want to drive you nuts". Now I know who that was!!

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Not about to comment on Pat O'brien, I dont want to get beat up like I did when commenting on the NDSU kicker last fall.  ;D

I did happen to catch WNAX'S Skybox tonight. One of the guests was Dave Boots, USD, coach.  Steve Emming asked if he missed the SDSU/USD rivarly. Boots said he was a good friend of Scott Nagy and enjoyed coaching against him.

He went on to say that he thought South Dakota could use a D1 program and he felt Scott would get SDSU to be competitive at that level very soon. I was rather surprised with his comments but I believe he was sincere.

I think Coach Boots handled this question about missing the SDSU rivalry better than Chad Lavin did on the Craig and Mike show. Lavin said something to the effect that SDSU wins over D1 opponents indicated weaknesses at the D1 level in women's basketball and several NCC opponents could do the same as SDSU if they played SDSU's schedule of D1 opponents.

Steve Emming did not ask Boots about the budget problems, and Boots stayed away from this isssue and talked about coaching basketball.

I think Boots is a class guy and you have to respect a coach who has won over 70 per cent of his games during a 17 year span. He obviously is doing some things right.
          Gosh I said something nice about USD.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
            I think Boots is a class guy and you have to respect a coach who has won over 70 per cent of his games during a 17 year span. He obviously is doing some things right.
            Gosh I said something nice about USD.
            You have to respect what Boots has done at USD given that he must recruit into a bad town (hey, I was born there... I'm entitled to that opinion) with a poor basketball facility. He has accomplished a lot with what he has to work with at USD.

Comment

Is it me or does this trip seem strange for a school that has a 6 figure deficit situation with it’s athletics budget and is talking about maybe cutting more sports?  ??? ??? ???

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...52/1002/SPORTS

USD basketball team to visit China

MICK GARRY
              mgarry@argusleader.com

Published: 05/5/05 1:55 am

The University of South Dakota men's basketball team will take the longest road trip in its history in a few weeks when the Coyotes travel to China for a 10-day visit.

It was just last week that USD officials arranged for a trip set up by Basketball Travelers Inc., a company that helps college programs get offseason games overseas.  

USD had made trips over oceans before, traveling to England five years ago, but never this far away."We got a call about a week ago from Nels Hawkinson of Basketball Travelers asking us if we were interested," USD coach Dave Boots said. "It happened very quickly. We got a very good price on it. When we heard the details we definitely wanted to do it."  .  .  .

USD is granted 10 team practices in preparation for the trip. They will also be able to take the three seniors on this year's squad - Steve Anderson, Josh Mueller and Luke Tibbetts.

"They were really excited," Boots said. "They thought they were done playing and all of a sudden they get a nice ending to their careers here. The practices will help us get a jump on next year and give a lot of playing time to the guys coming back next year."

The question that has to be asked is, if you want to give "a lot of playing time to guys coming back next year" why bring Anderson, Mueller, and Tibbetts?  Very strange.

Comment

Is it me or does this trip seem strange for a school that has a 6 figure deficit situation with it’s athletics budget and is talking about maybe cutting more sports?

89rabbit-

Why do YOU care what USD is doing?

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU/BHS-FAN

89rabbit-

Why do YOU care what USD is doing?
                  Here is your answer from earlier in the thread. The fiasco I am referring to is of course the budget deficit not the trip to China specifically. It may however send the wrong message to cut swimming scholarships (opportunities for kids to go to school) in March and in May be sending the basketball team to China. Again, maybe it is me.

I posted it here because I am sure this fiasco is going to cost the good people of South Dakota more tax money (Just like the Grain Bin's/Dakota Dome Roof and the Med. School).  

Comment

What's it going to cost them?

Comment

Ok, I see! I didn't know if they were getting a guarantee, like SDSU gets.

Comment

The question that has to be asked is, if you want to give "a lot of playing time to guys coming back next year" why bring Anderson, Mueller, and Tibbetts?  Very strange.

I heard that all three really like Chinese food. . . .

Mavs#1

(*edited by the moderator for content)

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1

I heard that all three really like Chinese food. . .

Mavs#1

(*edited by the Moderator for content)

WOW Mav, that may be an all new low.  I am putting the over under on this post staying on the board at 10:30.  I will take the under (before).
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I heard that all three really like Chinese food. . . .

Mavs#1

(*edited by the Moderator for content)
                            Nope, one's just a little lazy....I've always wondered how he could be such a dead eye from downtown with one eye on the rim and the other looking at the scorer's table...

Comment

I heard that all three really like Chinese food.  .  .  .  

Mavs#1

(*edited by the moderator for content)

Looks like i should move to Vegas.
                              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU/BHS-FAN
                                What's it going to cost them?
                                That's one of those questions I wish journalists would ask more often. My guess is that the reporter on that story asked and just accepted Boots' response about getting a 'good price'. Just accepting an answer because it fills a space in your story isn't very good journalism. Sure, Boots will remain your pal if you don't press him, but is that the point? I'd rather be respected (or even feared a little) than taken for granted.

The follow-up to that is: That's nice, but it doesn't answer my question. You represent a public university and the cost of your trip to China is public information. I need an answer or the story will say you refused to respond.

Comment

Working...
                                X