I'm taking all bets that...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm taking all bets that...

When those thick legged slow south dakotans walk into devaney on dec8th and get a load of marcus walker, joe mcray, wes wilkinson, and some of the other athletes that are down there they will wish for the day that morningside and wayne state were back on the schedule. Coach Nagy can get his tape measure out and measure the hoop (ala Hoosiers) but the fact remains you don't have the horses to compete. I don't think you will pull an ndsu volleyball thing and go 2-29 or whatever but it is going to be a very ugly mens bb season at sdsu. Maybe you ought to reconsider being on national tv for these debacles. At least ndsu volleyball hides in obscurity. I can only imagine what Dickie V. is going to say about that 100-40 blowout against KY. But I know what 89 will say when it ends up only being 35 instead - it is a moral victory and we all need to see the big picture.....Whatever happens 89Robbins will see the postive side of it all.

Comment

Congrats to UNO for playing Nebraska so close (exhibition or not). I also hope they have a great season in the NCC, and beat the crap out of USD. This year the SDSU team is more athletic but we need to take one game at a time because we are playing a very difficult schedule, and the guys are extremely young. What I would like to see is the bickering between all disappears. Its funny for only so long, besides supporting each other and HATING USD together is a lot more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit4life
        Congrats to UNO for playing Nebraska so close (exhibition or not).  I also hope they have a great season in the NCC, and beat the crap out of USD. This year the SDSU team is more athletic but we need to take one game at a time because we are playing a very difficult schedule, and the guys are extremely young.  What I would like to see is the bickering between all disappears.  Its funny for only so long, besides supporting each other and HATING USD together is a lot more fun.
        After listening to Mav1 and big jake, I'd rather support USD and root against uno.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm

After listening to Mav1 and big jake, I'd rather support USD and root against uno.
          They're just good at baiting us. UNO is a good school with quality athletic programs. USD is... um... well I'm not going to talk about USD.

Mavs and Jake: SDSU had no guards last year, so we struggled. We had benefited from all those sixth-year seniors. It was inevitable that the cupboard would go bare eventually. This year, however, we have upgraded significantly, and last year's newcomers and redshirts have a year under their belts. It'll take time, and I don't know how we'll play Nebraska. My guess is they won't be intimidated, having just played Kentucky, Illinois, Marquette, and Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Maybe those tough games will bring them together. I don't know.

I do know we have no seniors and we're building something here.

Comment

Always remember one thing.  The elite team in the NCC in basketball was SDSU.  Not to take anything away from improved NCC teams, but just as SDSU elevated its women's program to match UND/NDSU, UNO has aspired to do the same to match SDSU.  We were one of the most consistent at the DII level and we will do our best to do the same at the DI level.  

Don't forget that boys cause when you do you look even stupider than you are.

Having earned 20 regular season championships, the Jackrabbits have won more North Central Conference titles than any other school. SDSU also has made 24 postseason appearances, including eight in the last nine years.

Run your mouths and act like punks but always remember who your daddy is.

Build it and they will come. We didn't lead DII in BB attendance without reason. The fan base will return bigger and better than ever.

1990-91 ... 24-8 ... Jim Thorson ... NCC Postseason Champion, North Central Regional Runner-Up
            1991-92 ... 25-8 ... Jim Thorson ... NCC, North Central Regional Champion
            1995-96 ... 24-5 ... Scott Nagy ... NCC Champion, North Central Regional Runner-Up
            1996-97 ... 25-5 ... Scott Nagy ... NCC, North Central Regional Champion
            1997-98 ... 26-3 ... Scott Nagy ... NCC Champion, North Central Regional Runner-Up
            1999-00 ... 21-9 ... Scott Nagy ... North Central Regional Qualifier
            2000-01 ... 22-7 ... Scott Nagy ... North Central Regional Qualifier
            2001-02 ... 24-6 ... Scott Nagy ... NCC Champion, North Central Regional Runner-Up
            2002-03 ... 24-7 ... Scott Nagy ... North Central Regional Qualifier
            2003-04 ... 27-7 ... Scott Nagy ... North Central Regional Qualifier
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The big difference is that there are a lot of excellent d2 quality athletes in the upper plains who would love to attend sdsu. NOt quite the same with d1 caliber. You are going to have to go to Mn or Ill to get guys who can compete on a mid major level and I don't think you can do it with any regularity. A quality kid from MN has a choice to go the UofM and play in the Big 10 or go to SDSU and play a bunch of far flunged indies will almost always pick the big 10.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake
                The big difference is that there are a lot of excellent d2 quality athletes in the upper plains who would love to attend sdsu.  NOt quite the same with d1 caliber.  You are going to have to go to Mn or Ill to get guys who can compete on a mid major level and I don't think you can do it with any regularity.  A quality kid from MN has a choice to go the UofM and play in the Big 10 or go to SDSU and play a bunch of far flunged indies will almost always pick the big 10.
                Have you even looked at our roster this year? ??? : :-[

2005-06 SDSU Men's Basketball Roster

NO. PLAYER POS. HEIGHT WEIGHT YEAR HOMETOWN
                3 Mackenzie Casey* G 6-0 160 So. Wounded Knee, S.D.
                4 Eric Heien G 6-0 165 Jr. Gettysburg, S.D.
                10 Jose Frias G 6-2 195 Jr. New York City, N.Y.
                20 James Keller G 6-2 175 RSFr. Anna, Ill.
                22 Andy Kleinjan** G 6-3 170 Jr. Bruce, S.D.
                24 Matt Cadwell G 6-3 195 RSFr. St. Paul, Minn.
                30 Blake Yackley F 6-5 185 Fr. Onida, S.D.
                32 Andre Gilbert F 6-7 185 RSFr. Brooklyn Park, Minn.
                34 Cam Hornby G 6-0 180 Fr. Winnipeg, Manitoba
                40 Steve Holdren* G/F 6-5 215 So. Champaign, Ill.
                42 Mohammed Berté F/C 6-8 215 Jr. Abidjan, Ivory Coast
                44 Mark Engen F/C 6-10 200 Fr. Lamberton, Minn.
                50 Ben Beran** F 6-7 230 Jr. Victor, Iowa
                52 Robert Bilitz F/C 6-10 200 Fr. Plymouth, Minn.
                54 Michael Loney* F 6-6 225 So. Humboldt, Iowa

Looks like we are doing just fine getting athletes from Minnesota and Ill. and even more exotic locals like the Ivory Coast and before you open your mouth about not being able to recruit kids from urban areas to come to Brookings remember the Jose Frias comes from the largest city in the United States.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
                X