X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Stu Strikes Again!

On Stu:

He enjoys yanking peoples' chains.
    He loves the spotlight that goes with what he does.
    The only reason people pay attention to him is because he is a reporter for the Argus.
    Most people smile to his face because they have to, but curse him behind his back.
    Many people are afraid of him because of what he might write about them.
    He likes that.
    I feel sorry for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
      On Stu:

He enjoys yanking peoples' chains.
      He loves the spotlight that goes with what he does.
      The only reason people pay attention to him is because he is a reporter for the Argus.
      Most people smile to his face because they have to, but curse him behind his back.
      Many people are afraid of him because of what he might write about them.
      He likes that.
      I feel sorry for him.
      If Stu loves the spotlight so much, how come he's now Sports Editor, with a much lower profile, fewer columns and blog posts than before? He could have remained a beat writer with more frequent columns. The guy was considered a star in the newsroom, writing award-winning news projects in addition to his sports coverage. He could have parlayed that into a climb up the Gannett ladder, but CHOSE to stay in Sioux Falls because he likes it here. One thing I know about Stu, he's passionately interested in South Dakota high school sports. I think that's a great quality in a sports editor. As sports editor, he has actually receded into the background a bit at the Argus spending a lot more time laying out pages and less time writing and reporting.

Stu's a decent family guy who does his job well enough for a decent newspaper to make him sports editor. It's important that we keep some perspective here and don't turn him into some kind of monster through our psychoanalysis.

I always try to remember that the perception of leaning depends largely on the stance of the listener. In other words, our worldview is all Jackrabbit yellow and blue, and Stu's isn't. Stu's a friend of mine even though we disagree about some things. Do some of the things he writes drive me crazy? Yes. Is it the end of the world when Stu makes a snarky comment in a blog post that is read by about 100 people? Not so much.

Last thing: With the news media, you have to take the bad with the good. We get an awful lot of good coverage in the Argus from TV. Who's TV's boss? Stu is.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        If Stu loves the spotlight so much, how come he's now Sports Editor, with a much lower profile, fewer columns and blog posts than before? He could have remained a beat writer with more frequent columns. The guy was considered a star in the newsroom, writing award-winning news projects in addition to his sports coverage. He could have parlayed that into a climb up the Gannett ladder, but CHOSE to stay in Sioux Falls because he likes it here. One thing I know about Stu, he's passionately interested in South Dakota high school sports. I think that's a great quality in a sports editor. As sports editor, he has actually receded into the background a bit at the Argus spending a lot more time laying out pages and less time writing and reporting.

Stu's a decent family guy who does his job well enough for a decent newspaper to make him sports editor. It's important that we keep some perspective here and don't turn him into some kind of monster through our psychoanalysis.

I always try to remember that the perception of leaning depends largely on the stance of the listener. In other words, our worldview is all Jackrabbit yellow and blue, and Stu's isn't. Stu's a friend of mine even though we disagree about some things. Do some of the things he writes drive me crazy? Yes. Is it the end of the world when Stu makes a snarky comment in a blog post that is read by about 100 people? Not so much.

Last thing: With the news media, you have to take the bad with the good. We get an awful lot of good coverage in the Argus from TV. Who's TV's boss? Stu is.
        The thing that amazes me the most about Stu is that he has stayed in the sports department. He has written some of the best multi-piece features that the Argus has published that were outside of sports. He can be a great writer.

JJ (maybe this should be a pm) but financially would a writer be better off in sports or news, or does it not matter?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I don't disagree with you that Stu is an accomplished and talented writer. I think what bothers most people (and me) is that despite his talent, he would prefer to be a jag and write simply to pi$$ people off. As sports editor, I'm pretty sure he has the ability to pick which projects he would like to work on. He CHOOSES to be an asshat and write inflammatory pieces. That is entirely within in control and he obviously relishes the attention he gets writing that way or he wouldn't do it...and he probably would have kept writing the good articles you and others have cited.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
            I don't disagree with you that Stu is an accomplished and talented writer. I think what bothers most people (and me) is that despite his talent, he would prefer to be a jag and write simply to pi$$ people off. As sports editor, I'm pretty sure he has the ability to pick which projects he would like to work on. He CHOOSES to be an asshat and write inflammatory pieces. That is entirely within in control and he obviously relishes the attention he gets writing that way or he wouldn't do it...and he probably would have kept writing the good articles you and others have cited.
            I support this post 100%. MJA has described the situation as I see it as well. I may have been too quick to judge about his writing ability, but I sure don't feel bad about writing the other stuff. Too bad he doesn't choose the more enlightened path more often.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I was responding to other people who were psychoanalyzing Stu, suggesting he's a sad little man. I just wanted to point out that he's a family man with lots of friends who is a talented journalist. We may not agree with what he writes, but the kind of provocative stuff he does is certainly within the mainstream of sports journalism. Every sports staff has somebody like that. There's nothing uncommon about it.

Sure, he can choose his topics, but again, as sports editor he has broader responsibilities and clearly if he loved the spotlight as much as some here have suggested, remaining a sports reporter and columnist would have been a higher profile choice.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I was responding to other people who were psychoanalyzing Stu, suggesting he's a sad little man. I just wanted to point out that he's a family man with lots of friends who is a talented journalist. We may not agree with what he writes, but the kind of provocative stuff he does is certainly within the mainstream of sports journalism. Every sports staff has somebody like that. There's nothing uncommon about it.

Sure, he can choose his topics, but again, as sports editor he has broader responsibilities and clearly if he loved the spotlight as much as some here have suggested, remaining a sports reporter and columnist would have been a higher profile choice.
                And we're on page 36 of a thread dedicated to him. It's like a car crash. I get mad when everyone on I-94 slows down to look thus making my commute home twice as long. But, I can't help but sneak a peak as I pass by. (I'm already slowed down, may as well see what the commotion is all about.)
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

And we're on page 36 of a thread dedicated to him. It's like a car crash.
                  Good point, MJA. Maybe time to put this one to bed.

Comment

Stu's tenancy in everyone's mind coming to an end?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      Stu's tenancy in everyone's mind coming to an end?
                      I would hope so.

Comment

Let's lock the car (boat,truck,airplane,train,bus or psychology vehicle) and move on (and up!)

Comment

...check out Stu's latest blog at argusleader.com titled 'Those Darn Bison'...same old Stu.
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Welcome to SDSU AD Jason Sell. Already Stu seems to have measured you up as less than adequate. Dont let Stu rent space in your head.
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 08-14-2009, 12:48 PM.

Comment

You beat me to it, Nidaros.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I think it's more of a "personality trait " issue, no matter how accomplished or what style the writer uses.It's the frequency of writing negetive things all the time instead of writing something positive and "uplifting" once in awhile.Just my thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                                X