This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official USD to D-I Smack Thread

Udot 2008 schedule out. Looks like a good season for the big money donators. Three NAIA schools, two division 2 schools, and the rest division 1. But does UND count yet as a 1 school. States first year 3 D-2 and the rest FCS.

Comment

Jeff, to be fair (and this is the smack thread so I don't know why we would be), we counted UNC, NDSU and UC Davis in our first year. All three were in their first or second year of transition.

I'll say it again. There are two roads to go down. SDSU scheduled some of the best and historic FCS programs (Montana, GSU, Southern to name a few) in their first two years and then filled in where they had to. The administration even scheduled many one and dones and two for ones to get those games. USD has a history of taking the easy games so they have a good record and making it look like progress. Not saying one is better than the other but I know which one I prefer.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
        Jeff, to be fair (and this is the smack thread so I don't know why we would be), we counted UNC, NDSU and UC Davis in our first year. All three were in their first or second year of transition.

I'll say it again. There are two roads to go down. SDSU scheduled some of the best and historic FCS programs (Montana, GSU, Southern to name a few) in their first two years and then filled in where they had to. The administration even scheduled many one and dones and two for ones to get those games. USD has a history of taking the easy games so they have a good record and making it look like progress. Not saying one is better than the other but I know which one I prefer.
        I with you eq. If usd2 had their way, they would play Minnesota-Crookston 12 times at the dump.

Comment

For those interested in the schedule being discussed, here's a link to an article in the Yankton P&D:

http://www.yankton.net/stories/04190...70053287.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            For those interested in the schedule being discussed, here's a link to an article in the Yankton P&D:

http://www.yankton.net/stories/04190...70053287.shtml
            I love one of the opening lines "Who knew putting together a football schedule for a first year Division I Football Subdivision Championship team could be so hard"

What really blows me away more than that is they have a DII road game!
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
              I love one of the opening lines "Who knew putting together a football schedule for a first year Division I Football Subdivision Championship team could be so hard"

What really blows me away more than that is they have a DII road game!
              Gotta love the "simple guys" in this world. Don't think the P&D ever has to worry about him moving up in the world of journalism. Let's see how many former NCC teams have moved up to DI...........
              Last edited by jackmd; 04-20-2008, 10:23 AM.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out if the word "concurred" was a typo (did the reporter intend "conquered"?) or if there's some subtle meaning in using "concurred" which means "to be of the same opinion, to act together, cooperate, etc.. Here's the start of the article:

It's something University of South Dakota football head coach Ed Meierkort's been struggling with for a few months now.
                Some days, he'd think he had it concurred. Then a change took place and it was back to the drawing board for more work.

Maybe it means Coach Meierkort was talking to himself and finally got himself to agree the schedule was okay.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out if the word "concurred" was a typo (did the reporter intend "conquered"?) or if there's some subtle meaning in using "concurred" which means "to be of the same opinion, to act together, cooperate, etc.. Here's the start of the article:

It's something University of South Dakota football head coach Ed Meierkort's been struggling with for a few months now.
                  Some days, he'd think he had it concurred. Then a change took place and it was back to the drawing board for more work.

Maybe it means Coach Meierkort was talking to himself and finally got himself to agree the schedule was okay.
                  Looks like a typo to me. It's the kind of error we see all the time: It looks and sounds right to them because some students learned to read and write using whole language instruction where spelling and grammar aren't emphasized lest it decrease their love for literature. Give me a break. And give me phonics every time. If I had a dime for every time a student of mine has written "should of" when they mean "should have" ... well, I'd have about about $100. Whole language and texting are killing the English language.

And yes, I do sound like Grampa Simpson.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Mr. Janak of the Yankton Press & Dakotan appears to be working towards a no-doubt valuable degree from USD. An observer could be forgiven for hoping that his post-college employment will not require writing skills.

In addition to the misuse of the word "concurred" Mr. Janak also inflicted on his reading public (direct quote follows)

Who knew putting together a football schedule for a first year Division I Football Subdivision Championship team could be so hard.
                    The quote was, of course, noted upthread but I noticed that it is in fact a question, but fails to end with the appropriate punctuation.

Here's a Google search on Vance Janak, author of that insightful P&D article linked upthread. He appears to have cut his teeth writing for the Volante.

Those readers here with a particularly twisted and evil sense of humor can find without great effort other howlers in several of Mr. Janak's other efforts.

Now I'm just a guy with an engineering degree and a couple of Master's but regarding journalism as practiced by Mr. Janak, that old canard from younger days would seem to apply:

We've upped our standards. Now up yours.

Good night, and good luck.

(To JimmyJack: No offense to you, sir or your students. It IS a smack thread, after all.)
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

filbert's a curmudgeon

Comment

filbert's a curmudgeon
                        Growl grumble mumble darn fool kids and their loud rock music mutter grumble growl.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          Growl grumble mumble darn fool kids and their loud rock music mutter grumble growl.
                          Heh? What's that Sonny? ... I wouldn't need a hearing aid if you quit mumbling!

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Oh how soon you all forget, how soon you forget. Just a few short months ago Ed put together one of the toughest schedules in all of D2 football so assuming that USD is looking for an easy schedule in 2008 is simply misinformed. I am not happy with the schedule but I would venture to guess that USD's 2009 schedule will be at least as good and probably better than the one SDSU had in their second year of transition.

I wouldn't mind if the 2008 season was kind of used as a sacraficial lamb. The program is kind of on a downtrend over the past year so I don't really expect alot of success in 2008 anyway. Get those road games out of the way right away and look to the future.
                            How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

That spell-check is a great thing only if you use a word that is spelled almost the way it should be spelled.

One more point, I agree w/ MD that I don't think Yankton is in any great danger of losing our sports writer to bigger and better things. Sometimes stating the obvious is a pretty safe way to go...

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                                (To JimmyJack: No offense to you, sir or your students. It IS a smack thread, after all.)
                                None taken. I'm offended by bad journalism, too.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X