X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official USD to D-I Smack Thread

Originally posted by Drake View Post
    I did a little more research on his remarks ... USD beat Creighton handily in a scrimmage four days before USD beat UNI by 40 in Cedar Falls. Both UNI and Creighton beat Northern Illinois when they were ranked No. 19 in the country. I don't believe he thinks he is smarter than the average guy, he just has some sense of how good some teams really are.
    Excellent research. You should try publishing some of that. Remind me what SDSU's record against USD was the last few years of DII ball? Does that matter now? Might not.

Chad made a foolish statement. UND is not a top 30 DI team. NOT EVEN CLOSE. If you truly feel that way you're a fool.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Something I have noted this week and there seems to be building a jeolous outlook by all the state assisted universities and maybe Augustana too, but not so directly, but their release of a new logo and mascot logo, two or three days after SDSU is indeed kind of odd..
      They had that planned for a long time. Nothing odd about it. They unveiled it when it was done. I have a relative who works in athletics at Augie, and honestly, they don't spend a lot of time thinking about what SDSU's doing. They have a pretty good thing going, and with their new conference affiliation, they're gearing up in a variety of ways, including getting their logo updated.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

In a couple of years, when the Coyote women start playing a decent team every week instead of once a month, maybe some score comparisons can be made. In the meantime, I'd spot the Coyotes 20 points and take the Jacks.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          They had that planned for a long time. Nothing odd about it. They unveiled it when it was done. I have a relative who works in athletics at Augie, and honestly, they don't spend a lot of time thinking about what SDSU's doing. They have a pretty good thing going, and with their new conference affiliation, they're gearing up in a variety of ways, including getting their logo updated.
          I guess I am parnoid. Thanks for the clarification. It sure looked kind of convenient for last week for the logo to be done and unveiled. Thats all I am saying. I have seen Bill Gross at Frost a number of times when Augie was not playing, but was there observing what was going on at SDSU. So maybe now that interest has changed with the NISC affliation.

When was Lavin at Wyoming some one asked? Here is a cut from his biography.

A native of Clear Lake, S.D., Lavin was the head women’s basketball coach at the University of Wyoming for 12 years from 1986-98, constructing a record of 175-162, including the High Country Athletic Conference title in 1989-90.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 02-24-2008, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info Nidaros. I guess I could have not been so lazy and just looked it up.

The reason I asked the question:

(First I must state that I usually don't like posting in the smack section because logic and reason mean nothing. Second, I would guess there are others on this board that would be better versed in making this arguement than I am (i.e. filbert/snookums) but since no one is making it here I go).

Ten years ago there were probably 5-6 teams that were the top shelf of the NCAA and the rest were just the rest. Now, each top team has one or two players that are as good or better than the best players of that time. Now there are probably 20 teams that are the top shelf then another 10 that are pretty close. My point is that a top 30 team from when Lavin was coaching D-I women's basketball is no longer a top 30 team. They are probably a top 70-80 team. If he is using the reference point he has, UND just might be a top 30 team (10 years ago).
            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
            -Leo Rosten

Comment

I think I'll let my comment about women's basketball I made above stand, with one final thought:

I'm personally not going to go around saying SDSU is a top-30 women's basketball team until we beat another legitimate top 30 program. You see, being married to a Lady Vol who still bleeds orange (we were singing Rocky Top in Cubby's after watching Bruce Pearl's team beat Memphis), there's no way I'm going to get away with that kind of #$#@. My Jacks are going to have to prove that they belong, on the court, which is the only place it matters.

The USD folks will have their chance to prove what they've got too, starting next year.

(I realize that's pretty much anti-smack, but that's the way it is . . . )
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                I think I'll let my comment about women's basketball I made above stand, with one final thought:

I'm personally not going to go around saying SDSU is a top-30 women's basketball team until we beat another legitimate top 30 program. You see, being married to a Lady Vol who still bleeds orange (we were singing Rocky Top in Cubby's after watching Bruce Pearl's team beat Memphis), there's no way I'm going to get away with that kind of #$#@. My Jacks are going to have to prove that they belong, on the court, which is the only place it matters.

The USD folks will have their chance to prove what they've got too, starting next year.

(I realize that's pretty much anti-smack, but that's the way it is . . . )
                But it's the honest truth...and we all know it. At least we don't have people on this board thinking we're a top 30 program. And that says a lot right there.

Comment

yawn.... USD....yawn...

all I got to say.

Comment

I still don't understand. This is the one team in the country that SDSU won't be playing. Throw UND into the mix as well. Why not start a Savannah State Smack thread? At this point they're a more compelling rival. I assume that if someone did schedule a USD game in Brookings that fewer than a thousand would bother showing up, despite the records. Enough already. It's dead, keep it buried.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      I guess I am parnoid. Thanks for the clarification. It sure looked kind of convenient for last week for the logo to be done and unveiled. Thats all I am saying. I have seen Bill Gross at Frost a number of times when Augie was not playing, but was there observing what was going on at SDSU. So maybe now that interest has changed with the NISC affliation.
                      I think they're impressed with how we run our events.

I'm impressed with the way they ran their logo unveiling event. It was... fun. Ours wasn't. Seems to me that an event unveiling a logo should be more like a pep rally than a funeral. Augie had a band playing their fight song, lots of giveaways, etc. We had a lecture on the "process" and about 20 minutes of speeches before the unveiling. (89rabbit gave a nice speech that was funny, which helped). Augie got a fun story at the top of the front page of the Argus. If you're fighting it out for high school students to come to your campus, they kicked our rear ends that day.

Here's what my rundown for that event would have been:

Band plays that song they play before the buzzer at the beginning of a game.
                      Three minutes of talking.
                      Unveil.
                      Fight song.
                      Giveaways. Officials available to media for interviews.

A standard, staid news conference isn't the right tone for that event. Augie got it right.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        I think they're impressed with how we run our events.

I'm impressed with the way they ran their logo unveiling event. It was... fun. Ours wasn't. Seems to me that an event unveiling a logo should be more like a pep rally than a funeral. Augie had a band playing their fight song, lots of giveaways, etc. We had a lecture on the "process" and about 20 minutes of speeches before the unveiling. (89rabbit gave a nice speech that was funny, which helped). Augie got a fun story at the top of the front page of the Argus. If you're fighting it out for high school students to come to your campus, they kicked our rear ends that day.

Here's what my rundown for that event would have been:

Band plays that song they play before the buzzer at the beginning of a game.
                        Three minutes of talking.
                        Unveil.
                        Fight song.
                        Giveaways. Officials available to media for interviews.

A standard, staid news conference isn't the right tone for that event. Augie got it right.
                        Good for them. I hardly set foot on campus except for a bb game, so have no influence. I do recognize ideal and real are often two different things so it was with the SDSU unveiling. I have in the past threaten to enlighten the President with a letter, but so far, h*ll he does not need my input.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                          creighton didnt play northern illinois and northern illinois beat uni. so your first paragraph is garbage. oh and northern illinois is 9-14, not a good season for them after being ranked 19
                          My bad ... poor research on my part. Creighton and UNI beat Illinois State, ranked No. 19 at the time and currently ranked No. 31.

One of UNI's top players, Megan Keefe, left the team in December.

Me - Lavin? HA HA HA

Comment

The free fall continues for the former top team of the universe. The Coyote men feel to UND 78-76 in the first round of the NCC tournament. Yes, UND. At home, in the dump.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                              The free fall continues for the former top team of the universe. The Coyote men feel to UND 78-76 in the first round of the NCC tournament. Yes, UND. At home, in the dump.
                              Looked like about 600 people attended the game. Wonder if they'll even release an attendance figure? Thats a bad loss and should knock them out of the regional regardless of their overall record. Was that their 5th or 6th loss against an NCC team this year?
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I was watching the highlights in amazement as the bleachers on both ends and the opposite side of the court were very very sparsely populated. I'm guessing 5200
                                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                                X