This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official USD to D-I Smack Thread

Haven't looked at this thread for some time. USD and SDSU won't be playing women's basketball or anything else unless they both get into the NCAA tournament. That won't happen for years. Why talk about this if the rivalry is dead?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
      Haven't looked at this thread for some time. USD and SDSU won't be playing women's basketball or anything else unless they both get into the NCAA tournament. That won't happen for years. Why talk about this if the rivalry is dead?
      Because every once in a while a USD person will say something rather silly (or report that someone else who should know better said something silly), and some of us feel the need to respond.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Something I have noted this week and there seems to be building a jeolous outlook by all the state assisted universities and maybe Augustana too, but not so directly, but their release of a new logo and mascot logo, two or three days after SDSU is indeed kind of odd, like don't let SDSU hog the media here with their logo change. I get the feeling that Augie did not have any motivation to update logo until it got into the Argus that SDSU was making a change. Then they made their logo change very quietly and waited for SDSU to make its move. If we have a SDSU copy cat in SD, it goes to Augustana, they are very good at doing this.

Then there is Senator Greenfield and his ties to Northern that seemed to be speaking volumes in is anti vote against the Dykhouse facilty, and before him, and I recall the AD from Northern making a stupid public suggestion about SDSU to the BOR. Refresh me was enrollement caps? I dont recall the words, but do recall the implied attitude. NSU seems to be going through an identity crisis right now and they seem to be tasting the SDSU dust that is in the air.

USD well they are waiting for an opportunity to one up us, but its going to be slow in coming in the next five years. So keep the smack board alive, we need it to reply.

I was looking at the Basketball Program back pages from Friday's NDSU game, which lists the participation finiancially by alums and we seem to have an all time high in number of alums and friends who have contributed over 5k. I counted 29 names. For a full membership, meaning a gife of 10k or more, I counted like maybe 16 names. Then if you were to compare this years program name listing, for gifts under a 1k, you might find many more names that you would have found in a program from 5 years ago. SDSU has financial support and increased support since going D1 and what the jeolous people around the state think and say means very little and they are fools, not the ones who have put their money where their mouth is at. I am very proud of those folks who are supporting SDSU financially for athletics as well as academics. We are the leader so not much to worry about, but younger siblings do have to be put in their place.

Comment

I didn't know Augie announced a new mascot.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            Folks, as many of you know, I closely follow Tennessee's women's basketball team (by marriage).

I know what good D-I women's basketball looks like. I've been to the past three Women's Final Fours (and, as long as I'm married to my Lady Vol wife, I'll continue to go, I think).

SDSU is NOT a top 25 women's basketball team, yet.
            I think most of the posters here recognize that the top teams in women's BB at the DI level are leaps and bounds ahead of SDSU primarily because of their level of talent. They have the facilities and reputation to get the best players from anywhere in the world. We can't do that at SDSU.

That said, there is a drop off from the top tier of teams to the rest. Not sure where to put that top tier (and yes that top tier is further divided into teams like Tennessee, UConn, Baylor, Duke, UNC, Rutgers, etc...) but its probably around 20-30. I think we can compete with some of the teams in that top tier on one given night, not night in and out.

We are definitely approaching top 50 status and if we can find athletic 6 foot plus players like Jen W. who are maybe a little quicker we can move further up the rankings. Until then, I think AJ is doing as well as he can with the talent he has. I'm satisfied with that.

Finally, Lavin is WAY OFF base saying UND is a top 30 DI team, WAY OFF. I think he feels like he is smarter than the average guy and can say something like that without getting called out. Chad needs to think a little more before he speaks.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Nidaros (my reply to Augie logo/mascot comment) - being as this is a smack forum I don't know if you are being serious or not but if you are serious I think it's time you put on your tin foil reflector beanie before the aliens take total control of your mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin-foil_hat
              Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
                Nidaros (my reply to Augie logo/mascot comment) - being as this is a smack forum I don't know if you are being serious or not but if you are serious I think it's time you put on your tin foil reflector beanie before the aliens take total control of your mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin-foil_hat
                I beg your pardon??? I was serious and I am hardly parnoid, but where have you been? You never noticed that Augie loves to copy SDSU? Got to have some Augdog connect here somehow and maybe you can get a new augie logo hat to wear as your parnoid detector. I really dont have a need for one. BTW Augie, NSU and USD probably dont have 29 gifts FOR ATHLETICS over 5K to talk about!! Now that hurts you and your Northern buddy Greenfield.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 02-24-2008, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

Finally, Lavin is WAY OFF base saying UND is a top 30 DI team, WAY OFF. I think he feels like he is smarter than the average guy and can say something like that without getting called out. Chad needs to think a little more before he speaks.
                  I did a little more research on his remarks ... USD beat Creighton handily in a scrimmage four days before USD beat UNI by 40 in Cedar Falls. Both UNI and Creighton beat Northern Illinois when they were ranked No. 19 in the country. I don't believe he thinks he is smarter than the average guy, he just has some sense of how good some teams really are.

UND has two outstanding posts and I think having played them twice this year and playing Creighton and UNI, Lavin has some basis to how UND would stack up.

Also, in checking the box scores, UNI's top player did not play against SDSU, not even sure if she is still on the team.

SDSU is very good and has earned their reputation but once you get out of the top 30-40 teams in DI, the difference between good DII teams and the rest of the DI squads, is not that great.

Comment

[quote=Nidaros;78649]Something I have noted this week and there seems to be building a jeolous outlook by all the state assisted universities and maybe Augustana too, but not so directly, but their release of a new logo and mascot logo, two or three days after SDSU is indeed kind of odd, like don't let SDSU hog the media here with their logo change. I get the feeling that Augie did not have any motivation to update logo until it got into the Argus that SDSU was making a change. Then they made their logo change very quietly and waited for SDSU to make its move. If we have a SDSU copy cat in SD, it goes to Augustana, they are very good at doing this. quote]

I believe Augie announced a few months ago that they were going to redo their logo. They set about it, finished it and announced it, all in good time.

SDSU announced many months ago that they were going to redo their logo, hired an east coast firm, rejected their design and then started the process over. It was finally announced much later than the original timeline.

Don't believe Augie was trying to hog the attention.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      I have to agree here. Watched Udot and UND woment the other night and there is no way either of these teams could compete with us. Speed, strength and quickness is no where near our team. I don't feel we are even near a top 30 team and then he says UND is...Come on, Lavin. As I watched the other night, I thought it was strange he had been so quiet lately. But, as per usual, he sticks his foot in his mouth. MD, you are correct. He thinks he knows more than most and feels he can say whatever and people will buy into it. Unfortunately, many in our area have drank too much of the Udot kool-aid and believe whatever he says.

Comment

[QUOTE=Drake;78659]
                        Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Something I have noted this week and there seems to be building a jeolous outlook by all the state assisted universities and maybe Augustana too, but not so directly, but their release of a new logo and mascot logo, two or three days after SDSU is indeed kind of odd, like don't let SDSU hog the media here with their logo change. I get the feeling that Augie did not have any motivation to update logo until it got into the Argus that SDSU was making a change. Then they made their logo change very quietly and waited for SDSU to make its move. If we have a SDSU copy cat in SD, it goes to Augustana, they are very good at doing this. quote]

I believe Augie announced a few months ago that they were going to redo their logo. They set about it, finished it and announced it, all in good time.

SDSU announced many months ago that they were going to redo their logo, hired an east coast firm, rejected their design and then started the process over. It was finally announced much later than the original timeline.

Don't believe Augie was trying to hog the attention.

Why did Augie pick last week to unvail? Was that just a coincidence? Ya shur

Comment

Originally posted by Drake View Post
                          I did a little more research on his remarks ... USD beat Creighton handily in a scrimmage four days before USD beat UNI by 40 in Cedar Falls. Both UNI and Creighton beat Northern Illinois when they were ranked No. 19 in the country. I don't believe he thinks he is smarter than the average guy, he just has some sense of how good some teams really are.

UND has two outstanding posts and I think having played them twice this year and playing Creighton and UNI, Lavin has some basis to how UND would stack up.

Also, in checking the box scores, UNI's top player did not play against SDSU, not even sure if she is still on the team.

SDSU is very good and has earned their reputation but once you get out of the top 30-40 teams in DI, the difference between good DII teams and the rest of the DI squads, is not that great.

creighton didnt play northern illinois and northern illinois beat uni. so your first paragraph is garbage. oh and northern illinois is 9-14, not a good season for them after being ranked 19

Comment

So if the rest of Drake's post if full of crap...I'm guessing the statement highlighted in red is also???
                            Considering Lavin all but admitted trolling this forum, by his comment's about getting roasted by SDSU fans on the Craig & Bob show over last years comments, and the fact that Lavin likes to talk out his rear, I'm going to make this assumption...Drake = Lavin???????????

Good to have you on the board coach...now learn to research b4 you post "facts".

Go Jacks!!
                            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

If you are going to use this comparitive analysis B.S. you should at least try to get your facts correct.
                              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Can someone tell me how long it has been since Lavin has coached Wyoming.
                                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                                X