Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Getting Ready to Become the Best College i

Originally posted by JimmyJack
    I have to admit, I don't understand why anyone would root for USD to fail in D1. When you root for that, you're actually rooting for a bunch of student athletes to have bad experiences and for South Dakota taxpayers to take a financial hit. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. The hallmark of SDSU's athletic program (as exemplified by Megan Vogel's comments recently) is to give every student athlete a good experience... as part of their educations. Why would we endorse that for our own department and yet wish for dire consequences for another bunch of 18-22 year-olds (many of them South Dakotans) at another school in our state?

We have to get past all of that stuff and realize, as President Chicoine says, we're too poor and too small in South Dakota to be rooting for anyone else to fail. A rising tide lifts all boats. If USD finds success in D1, it will only add to our success and will be good for the state as a whole. If it ends up that we play USD eventually, so be it. Let's just beat them on the field/court and leave the ugliness behind.

Maybe I'm the only one who is planning to heed our new President's advice. But it's probably time for us to stop with the petty sniping and realize that we're too small and too isolated to hope for anyone else in our state to fail. It's just wasted energy.
    Is this the Smack Section of the Board? Jimmy Jack most of the people who reply on the Smack section are just having fun with the Yotes!

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU
      Is this the Smack Section of the Board?  Jimmy Jack most of the people who reply on the Smack section are just having fun with the Yotes!
      Exactly!! Posting some comments on the "smack" section of the forum does not equate to disdain or wishes for failure. Its a smack forum. Success or failure are relative terms but smack is smack. Serious stuff can be discussed elsewhere.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

If we ever (OK, when) we play usd again, I hope their student athletes have a really bad experience.
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU
          [quote author=JimmyJack link=1175240707/30#44 date=1175862367]I have to admit, I don't understand why anyone would root for USD to fail in D1. When you root for that, you're actually rooting for a bunch of student athletes to have bad experiences and for South Dakota taxpayers to take a financial hit. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. The hallmark of SDSU's athletic program (as exemplified by Megan Vogel's comments recently) is to give every student athlete a good experience... as part of their educations. Why would we endorse that for our own department and yet wish for dire consequences for another bunch of 18-22 year-olds (many of them South Dakotans) at another school in our state?

We have to get past all of that stuff and realize, as President Chicoine says, we're too poor and too small in South Dakota to be rooting for anyone else to fail. A rising tide lifts all boats. If USD finds success in D1, it will only add to our success and will be good for the state as a whole. If it ends up that we play USD eventually, so be it. Let's just beat them on the field/court and leave the ugliness behind.

Maybe I'm the only one who is planning to heed our new President's advice. But it's probably time for us to stop with the petty sniping and realize that we're too small and too isolated to hope for anyone else in our state to fail. It's just wasted energy.
          Is this the Smack Section of the Board?  Jimmy Jack most of the people who reply on the Smack section are just having fun with the Yotes!
          [/quote]

Sooo.. it's all in good fun, huh. Interesting...

I've been around this rivalry long enough to know that behind the "fun" of a smack board there's a lot of nastiness. The whole problem with our "rivalry" with USD is that it's all smack and no respect. From pooping in locker rooms to middle fingers to name calling, it's an ugly, childish rivalry. Blame who you want, I'm just saying we're all better off not playing those stupid, childish games. And I've been around this board long enough to see that pllenty of this same rhetoric appears outside of the smack board here and I know there are many people who post here who are hoping USD fails. That's what I object to.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I go on the record in full agreement with JimmyJack.

WRJ

Comment

I agree with that sentiment as well!

We don't need the games with the 'Yotes and I don't miss the nastyness of the rivalry!

It'll be revived some day and I hope we kick their flea-bitten, mangy asses every time we play them in any sport but I do not wish bad things for USD! The state needs all of the imtstitutions to thrive!

They will always be our little brother!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I've been around this rivalry long enough to know that behind the "fun" of a smack board there's a lot of nastiness. The whole problem with our "rivalry" with USD is that it's all smack and no respect. From pooping in locker rooms to middle fingers to name calling, it's an ugly, childish rivalry. Blame who you want, I'm just saying we're all better off not playing those stupid, childish games. And I've been around this board long enough to see that pllenty of this same rhetoric appears outside of the smack board here and I know there are many people who post here who are hoping USD fails. That's what I object to.
                Okay........

One suggestion, don't read the smack section anymore. Just a suggestion, not an order, not an attack, nothing more then a friendly suggestion.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
                  [quote author=SDSUcks link=1175240707/15#26 date=1175577125][quote author=Jacked_Up link=1175240707/15#25 date=1175490878]What cupcakes will the USD Little Red be playing next season? One more season as a power in in what's left of D-II and the exodus from the Vermillion campus will begin. Student-athletes will be transferring away from USD rather than to it. It will be a rude awakening fans of the Little Red.

USD is already putting together what is expected to be one of the tougher D2 schedules next year.  They are playing the usual D2 schedule plus the NSIC playoff participant and McNeese State who I believe won their D1 conference.  USD is definately not avoding anyone with the schedule that they will be releasing for 2007.  [/quote]

NO ONE CARES!!! :-[ :-[ :-[

SUPERBUNNY
                  [/quote]

I'm a little late to the party, but based on my observations in the past, this response includes all of the USD frat boys who stumble into the Dakota Dump at the end of the first quarter and make their way out before the fourth quarter starts.   Real hardcore fans they are in Vermillion!

Comment

Ooh, you said "frat." Our colleague Goon will not be pleased.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                      [quote author=JimmyJack link=1175240707/45#48 date=1175871105]

Okay........

One suggestion, don't read the smack section anymore.  Just a suggestion, not an order, not an attack, nothing more then a friendly suggestion.[/quote]

Upon reflection, you and UWMandSDSU are absolutely right. I should have saved my argument for the next time (and it should happen any minute now) somebody writes a post elsewhere on this board rooting for the failure of USD in its D1 efforts. My goal is to make people aware of what President Chicoine is saying about the nature of this rivalry, both as it relates to sports and to academics. I happen to think he's right that in a small, resource-poor state like ours we need to hope for good things at all of our state universities.

I'll keep it off the smack board, but I reserve the right to bring it up again when it appears elsewhere on this discussion board as it certainly will within hours of this post. Hoping for failure on another state institution is not the way to bring success to your own institution. Our fans are doing a disservice to what our Athletic Department is trying to accomplish by taking pleasure in the struggles of student athletes at any of our state universities.

Holy nutmeg!

Comment

[quote author=jackmd link=1175240707/45#51 date=1175878947][quote author=JimmyJack link=1175240707/45#48 date=1175871105]

Okay........

One suggestion, don't read the smack section anymore.  Just a suggestion, not an order, not an attack, nothing more then a friendly suggestion.[/quote]

Upon reflection, you and UWMandSDSU are absolutely right. I should have saved my argument for the next time (and it should happen any minute now) somebody writes a post elsewhere on this board rooting for the failure of USD in its D1 efforts. My goal is to make people aware of what President Chicoine is saying about the nature of this rivalry, both as it relates to sports and to academics. I happen to think he's right that in a small, resource-poor state like ours we need to hope for good things at all of our state universities.

I'll keep it off the smack board, but I reserve the right to bring it up again when it appears elsewhere on this discussion board as it certainly will within hours of this post. Hoping for failure on another state institution is not the way to bring success to your own institution. Our fans are doing a disservice to what our Athletic Department is trying to accomplish by taking pleasure in the struggles of student athletes at any of our state universities.

[/quote]

I also agree with you. I didn't like the nastiness of the SDSU-USD rivalry. I enjoy the rivalry of SDSU-NDSU. My point was the "most" of the things said on the Smack section has been in good fun (be it against NDSU, USD, UNO, etc.), at least that is how I read things. I don't take the things said on the Smack section too serious. If I ever post smack about USD, I don't do it because I want an 18-22 year old athlete to fail; I do it out of pure fun.

Comment

How about a permanent ban on Smack against usd2.

NOT!

Comment

I got the evil eye from my wife today for decorating a "Screw the U" Easter egg. My kids don't understand yet...but they will. I don't wish any ill will on the them, but I do hope they take second place in any event involving the Jackrabbits.
                            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

One last thing; I don't consider pooping in locker rooms, name calling, and middle fingers to be "smack". I consider that stupidness, immaturity and people being idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells
                                I got the evil eye from my wife today for decorating a "Screw the U" Easter egg.  My kids don't understand yet...but they will.  I don't wish any ill will on the them, but I do hope they take second place in any event involving the Jackrabbits.
                                ringthebells!  I hope you don't try to make sense out of putting "screw" anything on Easter eggs.  

Go Jacks! Go Easter Eggs!

Comment

Working...
                                X