USD transfers already beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD transfers already beginning

More about DI and how much different it will be for non-DI USD when they become DI.  Haldersham touched on one of the points earlier:

(I think the big difference and this affects coaching and their recruiting is the academic differences between D1 and D2. Under the D1 certification process, student athletes have to progress towards earning a degree. This is not a requirement in D2 or D3)

I wonder what kind of degree Dion will be working towards at USD?  I wonder what Stefan got his degree in? Point being they didn't have to/don't have to be progressing towards a degree to play at a non-DI school.  Logan could not play at a DI school.  Dion "decided" not to play at a DI school. So, USD got them both.

As for basketball, USD won't be getting anymore DI transfers when they leave the non-DI ranks.  When you can't cut it at one DI school you transfer down to a non-DI school like USD not to another DI school. If your good enough to play DI you sit out your year and play for someone else in the DI ranks.

The big leagues are only a short year away for USD, better start catching up on reality. Its not DII anymore, not on the field and not in the rulebook.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Maybe by next year, usd2 will have purchased a compliance manual.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
        Maybe by next year, usd2 will have purchased a compliance manual.
        The D-1 transfer from Wisconsin is suppose to bring one with him. ;D ;D ;D

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

This is a technicality, but I don't think Dion Foster transferred to USD from Wisconsin, where he atteded as a freshman. Hasn't he been out of school for a year? He didn't play football last year.
          This space for lease.

Comment

I heard he went to usd2 to get as far away from college football as he could.

Comment

USD's loss of Fitzgerald and Skophammer to lower-division schools is not a big deal. That stuff happens all the time. Those two should not be big losses for the Coyotes, which should have good final season in D-2. What will be a huge deal is when guys like Dylan Grimsley and Steve Smith stop transferring down to USD to play in D-2. Grimsley and Smith, who bailed out of D-1 programs, were two of the Coyotes three best players this past year. (Eric Hall, a non-transfer, was good, too.) In another year, D-1 guys won't be transferring to USD any more. They won't even give USD a sniff. Why would they? USD probably will face an even more painful transition that SDSU because competition for talent will be greater than ever, and Coyote-ville doesn't have much to offer.
              This space for lease.

Comment

that with the 13 scholarship cap you can't make too many mistakes recruiting... also the fact that they play in a dome which is horrible for watching basketball doesn't help much with the recruitment..

Comment

Thought some yote fans posted on our site last December that the Butler Center was one of the finest facilities in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up
                    USD's loss of Fitzgerald and Skophammer to lower-division schools is not a big deal. That stuff happens all the time. Those two should not be big losses for the Coyotes, which should have good final season in D-2. What will be a huge deal is when guys like Dylan Grimsley and Steve Smith stop transferring down to USD to play in D-2. Grimsley and Smith, who bailed out of D-1 programs, were two of the Coyotes three best players this past year. (Eric Hall, a non-transfer, was good, too.) In another year, D-1 guys won't be transferring to USD any more. They won't even give USD a sniff. Why would they? USD probably will face an even more painful transition that SDSU because competition for talent will be greater than ever, and Coyote-ville doesn't have much to offer.
                    Academically USD has more to offer than SDSU unless your idea of an education is how to plant soybeans or digging through cattle poop. USD's basketball program is much better off right now than SDSU's when they made the jump (and especially now) and the football program has much more steam than SDSU had during their transition. Anyone with half a brain would come to the logical assumption that in football USD will be at least as successfull as SDSU during their first 3 years of D1.

Isn't it actually pretty disgracefull from an SDSU perspective that in basketball USD would wipe the court with your D1 wannabe team and would stand a good change of winning in football too depending on where it was played. And that is at a few years disadvantage going into a D1 move.

USD is definately the more prestigeous academic institution and Jacks fans will find out that the average Coyote Alum has deeper pockets to support the athletic programs in D1. The sugar daddy factor will also likely favor USD. Farmers just don't make money.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUcks
                      Academically USD has more to offer than SDSU unless your idea of an education is how to plant soybeans or digging through cattle poop.   USD's basketball program is much better off right now than SDSU's when they made the jump (and especially now) and the football program has much more steam than SDSU had during their transition.  Anyone with half a brain would come to the logical assumption that in football USD will be at least as successfull as SDSU during their first 3 years of D1.

Isn't it actually pretty disgracefull from an SDSU perspective that in basketball USD would wipe the court with your D1 wannabe team and would stand a good change of winning in football too depending on where it was played.   And that is at a few years disadvantage going into a D1 move.  

USD is definately the more prestigeous academic institution and Jacks fans will find out that the average Coyote Alum has deeper pockets to support the athletic programs in D1.  The sugar daddy factor will also likely favor USD.  Farmers just don't make money.
                      None of what you just wrote is factual.  Not one bit.  Its typical USD rhetoric and blind arrogance.  Outside of USD no one from the previous NCC ranks would consider USD a better athletic program than SDSU.  I'll agree with you that USD is an excellent academic institution that is serving the state well as a liberal arts school.  SDSU has likewise advanced its rank as a national research university and the states largest and flagship institution.  The SDSU mission as the states land grant university has never been in question.

As for the communities of Vermillion and Brookings, there is no comparison.  Brookings exceeds Vermillion in every category.

Now, on the athletic field, in the DII ranks SDSU's success greatly exceeds that of USD's over the last 2-3 decades.  Especially in the categories of football and men's and women's basketball.  Present time, we have victories at the DI level in all of those sports including a post-season appearance as a transition team, first time thats ever been done.  USD is DII school in the preliminary phases of a move to DI without a clearly defined plan or well-thought out study.

Your writing checks with you mouth/fingers that USD can't cash with their asses.  They have been calling me asking for money each month over the last 6 and the answer remains the same "no thanks, I donate to SDSU."  When you come begging for admission to the Mid-Con and the Gateway you better bring those "deep pockets" and a hell of a lot more humility because, once again, we are in the lead position where you want to be.

Envy and arrogance are destructive characteristics, you best keep that in mind.  Best of luck with the DI thing.  I don't the Northern Sun will have you if you come crawling back to DII so your pretty much stuck making this DI think happen and I think you know you need us.  
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                        [quote author=SDSUcks link=1176877474/15#23 date=1177285999]
                        Academically USD has more to offer than SDSU unless your idea of an education is how to plant soybeans or digging through cattle poop.   USD's basketball program is much better off right now than SDSU's when they made the jump (and especially now) and the football program has much more steam than SDSU had during their transition.  Anyone with half a brain would come to the logical assumption that in football USD will be at least as successfull as SDSU during their first 3 years of D1.

Isn't it actually pretty disgracefull from an SDSU perspective that in basketball USD would wipe the court with your D1 wannabe team and would stand a good change of winning in football too depending on where it was played.   And that is at a few years disadvantage going into a D1 move.  

USD is definately the more prestigeous academic institution and Jacks fans will find out that the average Coyote Alum has deeper pockets to support the athletic programs in D1.  The sugar daddy factor will also likely favor USD.  Farmers just don't make money.
                        None of what you just wrote is factual.  Not one bit.  Its typical USD rhetoric and blind arrogance.  Outside of USD no one from the previous NCC ranks would consider USD a better athletic program than SDSU.  I'll agree with you that USD is an excellent academic institution that is serving the state well as a liberal arts school.  SDSU has likewise advanced its rank as a national research university and the states largest and flagship institution.  The SDSU mission as the states land grant university has never been in question.

As for the communities of Vermillion and Brookings, there is no comparison.  Brookings exceeds Vermillion in every category.

Now, on the athletic field, in the DII ranks SDSU's success greatly exceeds that of USD's over the last 2-3 decades.  Especially in the categories of football and men's and women's basketball.  Present time, we have victories at the DI level in all of those sports including a post-season appearance as a transition team, first time thats ever been done.  USD is DII school in the preliminary phases of a move to DI without a clearly defined plan or well-thought out study.

Your writing checks with you mouth/fingers that USD can't cash with their asses.  They have been calling me asking for money each month over the last 6 and the answer remains the same "no thanks, I donate to SDSU."  When you come begging for admission to the Mid-Con and the Gateway you better bring those "deep pockets" and a hell of a lot more humility because, once again, we are in the lead position where you want to be.

Envy and arrogance are destructive characteristics, you best keep that in mind.  Best of luck with the DI thing.  I don't the Northern Sun will have you if you come crawling back to DII so your pretty much stuck making this DI think happen and I think you know you need us.  [/quote]

Very well put, MD. Academically the schools are both doing excellent jobs and meeting the needs that they were developed to carry out. They are both meeting totally different needs.

Athletically, we will have to see how it plays out. USD has excelled in the NCC the last few years, but compared to what. It is definately a weaker conference than it once was. Before anyone blows off their mouth too much, they better wait to see if all the homework for the transition has been completed.

Comment

I don't know how anybody can say that USD is in good shape to go into there transition... Hall is going to be a senior and won't be part of there first true D-I year. Grimsley and Smith will be seniors in there first D-I year, who are they going to rely on? Pesicka didn't do much as a true freshman. Have they signed any names this year? Its hard to recruit when there is no post-season... and when the transfers stop coming and start leaving USD will be in big pain....SDSU atleast has a campus and an Arena does USD have either?

Will the transfer of Fitzgerald affect USD's team next year... prolly not but when he has success at the NAIA level others will be more reluctent to do the same, any body that leaves of any talent level is not wanted, though some have more of an effect then others.

If USD thinks that going D-I is going to be easy going there in for a long run... They have burned bridges with NDSU and SDSU and I don't see those two encouraging the Gateway and the Mid-con to welcome the Xsd's anytime soon... USD's dome isn't going to wow anybody and it is going to be tough for the town of vermillion to handle D-I sports.

Comment

[quote author=Jacked_Up link=1176877474/15#20 date=1177196514]USD's loss of Fitzgerald and Skophammer to lower-division schools is not a big deal. That stuff happens all the time. Those two should not be big losses for the Coyotes, which should have good final season in D-2. What will be a huge deal is when guys like Dylan Grimsley and Steve Smith stop transferring down to USD to play in D-2. Grimsley and Smith, who bailed out of D-1 programs, were two of the Coyotes three best players this past year. (Eric Hall, a non-transfer, was good, too.) In another year, D-1 guys won't be transferring to USD any more. They won't even give USD a sniff. Why would they? USD probably will face an even more painful transition that SDSU because competition for talent will be greater than ever, and Coyote-ville doesn't have much to offer.

USD is definately the more prestigeous academic institution and Jacks fans will find out that the average Coyote Alum has deeper pockets to support the athletic programs in D1.  The sugar daddy factor will also likely favor USD.  Farmers just don't make money. [/quote]
                            Looks like sdsucks wrote this with half a brain or less. What an idiot.

Comment

First I tend to think the reason for transfers thus far for USD athletes are pretty much individual choices. That said I think its awfully hard to suggest the move to D1 had anything to do with it.

Secondly, the reference Jackmd made about certication is very correct, and I did not find out this information until I attended the open forum sometime last Month. The fact that athletes have to work towards a degree to maintain their eligibilty was news to me. Many people dont know about it. Other than the media, there were maybe 12 people at this forum which was a shame. If you have chance to attend the others scheduled, I would suggest that you do it.

Now back to USD. I believe just a few month back they announce that they had hired a NCAA Compliance officer. So a number of things relating to transcripts and academics could easily be swept under the rug at USD. Who would know?

Last Kathy Heylens, the Compliance director began her job under AD Harry Forsyth and has been at her job longer than Fred Oien has been AD. At the certification forum, you could sense how close she works with the AD and coaches in keeping an honest academic program going.

At USD, the poor individual who was recently hired has a big job ahead of him. I know SDSUsucks will come back and tell us he/she the compliance officer is fully in charge and up to speed.

Comment

USD's basketball program is much better off right now than SDSU's when they made the jump
                                Really? SDSU's Men's program spent part of our last season in D-II ranked #1 in the national polls. Was USD ranked #1 last season and I missed it? For that matter, when was the last time that USD was ranked #1 in the nation in Men's Basketball polls? :

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                                X